Jared Goff explains what sets Sean McVay apart as a coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_11546408.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 1 hour ago

Jared Goff has had two full seasons with Sean McVay thus far, and not surprisingly, they’ve been the two best years of his career. They’ve both helped turn the Los Angeles Rams around far quicker than anyone expected, taking them from being 4-12 in 2016 to playing in the Super Bowl this past February.
When it comes to coach and quarterback tandems in the NFL right now, Goff and McVay are right up there with some of the best. Their youth and inexperience is unmatched by any others in the league at the moment, yet it works so undeniably well.

McVay deservingly gets more of the credit for the Rams’ rebuild, but it’s difficult to pin down exactly what makes him such a great coach. Goff attempted to answer that question on Mike Stud’s “You Neva Know” podcast recently.
“People ask me, what’s his best trait? And I say he’s the best listener I’ve ever met. Listener and communication. It’s amazing,” Goff said. “And he’s obviously so smart and he knows football and he’s a great play caller and all that – it’s just innate in him. But the way he listens and the way he takes input from everyone, and takes it and either uses it, or takes it and explains to you why, ‘Eh, I don’t agree with that.’ It’s just an open dialogue and communication and it leaves no room for doubt. He says a lot, where communication lacks, negativity fills. So just keep an open dialogue and you’ll always know what each other are thinking and that’s kind of what he preaches and he’s a great listener and it trickles down through the whole organization.”
McVay is a unique coach. Not only is he the youngest in the NFL, but his ideas are so often viewed as unconventional. No team used 11 personnel more than the Rams last season. Few teams, if any, utilized more pre-snap motion than McVay in 2018. And when it comes to planning and preparation, he took playing it safe in the preseason to another level the last two years and many coaches have followed suit.
His willingness to push the boundaries is what Goff says sets McVay apart from other coaches.

“I think a part of it is how smart he is, it’s just innate, he has a gift, he’s just got it. Good play caller. I think what really set him apart early on – and again, I don’t think he was trying to do this – is that he didn’t care what anyone else thought,” Goff continued. “It was like, ‘We’re doing this this way. I don’t care if it’s not normal, typical. I don’t care if everyone else isn’t doing it. This is going to work for us, I believe this is going to work. We’re going to do it this way.’”
“I think that’s kind of another thing that sets him apart and a lot of coaches are starting to lean that way. I mean, arguably the best to ever do it, (Bill) Belichick, he don’t care what anyone thinks. He does it his way. Sean’s doing it his way, as well, and for a player, you can’t ask for more.”
Goff hopes to be paired with McVay for a long, long time, much like the way Tom Brady has stayed with Belichick, and Drew Brees with Asshole Face. McVay is under contract through 2023, so he’ll be around for a while, but Goff has yet to receive an extension.
It’s a matter of when, not if, so don’t expect to see Goff playing for another coach anytime soon – and he wouldn’t have it any other way.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
"Where communication lacks, negativity fills" -Mcvay

That is an awesome quote.