Jared Goff already notices a difference with Rams' new O-line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
4:30 AM PT
  • i

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Rams' offense flowed better -- better than it did at any point last season -- during Saturday's preseason game against the Oakland Raiders, which offered the first meaningful sample size under this new, offensive-minded coaching staff. Jared Goffwas more efficient, Todd Gurley was more patient, the receivers and tight ends were more, well, open.

But there was something else: The pocket looked cleaner, a product of a new offensive line that should be a lot stronger on Goff's blind side.
Goff himself is already noticing the difference.

"No doubt," the second-year quarterback said. "I think just as a whole, they’ve really worked together. They’re starting to jell, and I think you saw that last Saturday. The Oakland defensive line is no slouch. They’ve got some dudes over there, and they did a great job keeping them away and giving me a good pocket. It wasn’t just throw it and get hit; it was clean the whole night. It was. No one really around me."

Behind the Rams' offensive line last season, Goff absorbed an NFL-high 25 sacks over the final six weeks and Gurley averaged 1.59 yards before first contact for the entire season, ranked 41st among 42 running backs with enough carries to qualify.

The Rams have since replaced
Greg Robinson, one of the game's worst left tackles, with Andrew Whitworth, one of the game's best. They kept Rodger Saffold, their best offensive lineman last season, at left guard. And they brought in veteran center John Sullivan, who spent last season as a backup under Sean McVay -- now the Rams head coach -- with the Redskins and seems to be fully recovered from prior back injuries. On the right side are third-year players Rob Havenstein (tackle) and Jamon Brown (guard).

Gurley needed only eight carries to reach 38 rushing yards Saturday, and Goff only took one sack, courtesy of reigning defensive player of the year Khalil Mack. Through the first two preseason games, Pro Football Focus has the Rams' first-team offensive line allowing just three pressures on 109 pass-blocking attempts.
That is stunningly low for any team, but particularly the Rams.

"It’s been a good camp," Gurley said. "We’ve been getting better. Each game, we’ll see how we do. We just have to go out there and just compete and communicate. Even though I might have a 1-yard run, we may have done one or two things, whether it’s me or a lineman or someone back side -- 1-yard runs can always be 20-yard runs. It’s just the little things, going out there and communicating. Then the next game, having the same exact look and making sure we get it right.”

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams OL improvement will be the crux of their chance to make the playoff this year. If they keep improving their pass blocking and get that "push" up the middle that they NEVER got last year, Goff will tear it up with the new and improved WR corp.
Against the Raiders, the Rams ran the ball up the middle, WR's caught passed over the middle, something the Rams didn't (couldn't) do last year. Rams OL got schooled and lost every shoving match. Sully and Whit are making a hudge difference.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams OL improvement will be the crux of their chance to make the playoff this year. If they keep improving their pass blocking and get that "push" up the middle that they NEVER got last year, Goff will tear it up with the new and improved WR corp.
Against the Raiders, the Rams ran the ball up the middle, WR's caught passed over the middle, something the Rams didn't (couldn't) do last year. Rams OL got schooled and lost every shoving match. Sully and Whit are making a hudge difference.
No doubt....as much as I like Sammy Watkins, Cooper Kupp, and others, Andrew Whitworth was the steal of the offseason. This is scary as hell, because the dude is old and I worry about how his body will hold up over 19 games!:rockon:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The one biggest difference: C is holding his ground. Barnes got pushed back after every snap, resulting in QB with a defender in his face and a collapsed pocket.

Barnes was a disaster and the reason he was the first to go when McVay took over. Sully is a rock and holds his ground.

fearsomefour

Legend
Amen.
That middle passing game is so huge.
By not having it or using it last year at all, either because of skill or will, it just limited everything else.
Gurley is right, big plays can come from anywhere. Running game, passing game, deep passes or more often shorter passes with YAC. Having good athletes with skill (as opposed to great athletes with limited skills) that can be schemed to maximize success.
Run to pass, pass to run, pass short the. Long or vice verse. Doesn't matter and it can vary by opponent. If it can all come together under a smart and pliable offensive coach, it could be very effective and a lot of fun. Weapons abound all of a sudden.
The fun thing is the Rams O doesn't need to score 31 points a game to win a lot. Moving the ball, giving the D a chance to rest and adjust, convert third downs, change field position and yes, score more points. It's all there potentially. The D will benefit hugely by an effective O.

fearsomefour

Legend
I am generally pessimistic.
After several false hope years in the last 10 I am really that way with the Rams.
I'm not saying I am drinking the Kool-aid, but, there is a glass sitting on the table now.
The O line has to stay healthy though. That has been one of the Achilles heals of this team for years.
I think I will go ahead and head down to the local sports book and bet the Rams over on their win total for the season.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Hope to see the same against the Chargers Sat. Consistency. Plus I hope we can grab a quality OLineman or two after cuts.

I think our OL is obviously improved, but it also helps to have an O that puts pressure on the D, weaponizing the entire field, so they're not just teeing off all the time. This alone will provide Goff with a second or two on most downs.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
My only hesitation now is the depth at OT. If we lost either Whit or Big Rob...the replacements would kill the season. My fingers are crossed. But should the line stay healthy...this could be a magical season

Rams43

Hall of Fame
My only hesitation now is the depth at OT. If we lost either Whit or Big Rob...the replacements would kill the season. My fingers are crossed. But should the line stay healthy...this could be a magical season

I thought Williams played well vs the Raiders. I'm encouraged, anyway.

Donnal, if he ever gets healthy again, could be adequate, as well.

If Pace Murphy has been playing hurt, as Bonifay says, then there might be something there, too.

I'm sure that Kromer is all over this. If he wants to bring in another team's final cut, then that tells us something. If he doesn't want to bring one in, then that tells us something, too.

Either way, I trust in Kromer to look out for OL player eval and development. I think that we'll be just fine.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Greg Robinson, one of the game's worst left tackles
Anyone notice how he's doing in Detroit?
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-detroit-lions-16-new-york-jets-6
T Greg Robinson, 43.6 overall grade
Losing starting LT Taylor Decker for at least the first half of the season might cause problems for the Detroit offense as the recently traded for Robinson struggled to make a positive impact in the run game. He held up alright in pass protection but did allow a QB hit and was beaten on one other occasion. On 46 pass blocking snaps this preseason, Robinson has allowed one hit and two hurries for a pass blocking efficiency of 95.1, a mark that currently sits at 61st best amongst offensive tackles.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

If you go look at McVay live on Rams site this week, he says , how are you doing today coach Whitworth?

That in it's self tells you The in packed he is have on & off the field.

Also if you ever are watching a game & you see the sidelines you can see what
A tight unit The big 5 are !! Jared Goff always goes to Whitworth during the game to check up on things , or to just thank them with encouragement.
I just like the way Jared Goff takes leadership & ownership.

The question is what does Roger Saffold think of what Jared Goff said after the last game of the season now ??

I think Jared Goff was right & that feeling from last year is something they won't feel much from all the Fishers kissing ways. -- I give Fisher a little credit for winning NFC West games , but 3 in a row to the 8ers ???

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan

Our reserve O-line unit under McVay/LaFleur/Kromer will do a better job than Fisher/Boras/Boudreau's starting O-line unit

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I have to admit. This is what I am most jacked about. The Oline play. Yes, I know. There's a long ways to go....and the inevitable "If _______ gets hurt" statements. But isn't that pretty much across the board, anytime a starter or a star gets hurt. The next guy up might do ok. But there is a reason, the other guy was starting..... But we just have to cross our fingers and head back out to the LOS and keep hoping for much more of what we have already seen.

jap

Legend
I will off on my opinion until the real games begin and the real defenses start attacking . . . or at least try to start attacking. Everything is still too plain vanilla now. They are going to gang up on Todd; so Jared and his fly guys have to make defenses pay . . . and pay heavily.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
The one biggest difference: C is holding his ground. Barnes got pushed back after every snap, resulting in QB with a defender in his face and a collapsed pocket.

Barnes was a disaster and the reason he was the first to go when McVay took over. Sully is a rock and holds his ground.

Amen...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why worry about this? The same thing would be said about almost every team. It's not like the other 31 teams have backup tackles with starting experience. All we can do is hope it doesn't happen and if it does the backups are well coached.