Jared Cook - TE or WR?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
The more I read and watch information & highlights of Jared Cook the more excited I am about the Rams signing him! With his size and speed he looks like he can play TE or WR which should really excite Jeff Fisher and Brian Schottenheimer! If the Rams can add another quality WR (Austin, Allen, Patterson, Rogers, Woods, etc) in the upcoming Draft the Rams Offense could be very potent and we should hopefully see the Rams score a lot more points than they have the past few seasons!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It's a great acquisition. He can line up anywhere, match-up nightmare, and put up WR #s.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, he's going to play mainly WR here.

A55VA6

Legend
He can line up on the line, Slot, Outside. He can really do it all and he's a matchup nightmare. Size and speed, vertical.. I mean this guy can really destroy a defense in the right system. Titans failed at using him. I can see the Rams using him outside as a WR alot.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Idk if you ever saw how Schotty used Keller in NY but I have a feeling he will be putting even more plays in his gameplan for Cook, I really feel like Bradford to Cook will break records guys. :crossed:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Barrison6 said:
Idk if you ever saw how Schotty used Keller in NY but I have a feeling he will be putting even more plays in his gameplan for Cook, I really feel like Bradford to Cook will break records guys. :crossed:
At Oklahoma, Sam loved throwing to Gresham down the seam. Cook could be his Gresham. I can really add an element that is huge for this offense. Plus, one of the things we struggled with (especially early) was redzone production. With Cook's speed/size he could be a great end zone target and help us convert FG chances to TD. If we had him last year, I think we beat Miami.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
All that is the hope but I would caution that the phrase Titans failed to use him is prejudicial , he has some route running and effort issues that will need to be addresed before he becomes the second coming of JV Cain

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
jrry32 said:
IMO, he's going to play mainly WR here.
Yeah, I think that's the plan. Though I can definitely see him line up at TE during Jumbo sets...at least to keep the defense honest that it might be pass.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Instant Scouting Report: Jared Cook

101sports-com_white-wBlackOutlineandDropShadow_logo.png

Tony Softli
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/category/tsoftli-blogs/20130312/Instant-Scouting-Report:-Jared-Cook/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/category/tsoft ... red-Cook/#</a>

The St. Louis Rams have jumped into the 2013 free-agency period feet first and have come out with a prized possession: an offensive weapon for Sam Bradford to throw to in tight end Jared Cook. The former Tennessee Titan stands 6-5 and weighs 248 pounds. He has great length and speed, with freakish athletic ability and soft hands to catch outside his frame. I like the fact that he is willing to get dirty and dive for balls, or compete at the highest point to out jump defenders. Cook is a wide receiver stuck in a tight end’s body with a very good run-after-the-catch skill set. This signing should put a smile on the face of all Rams fans as Cook is a difference-maker and will be a playmaker each and every Sunday. NFL Stats: 131 receptions – 1,717 yards – 8 TDs in 4 years

A native of Birmingham, Ala., Cook played collegiately at South Carolina and entered the 2009 NFL draft as an early-out junior. He became the 89th overall pick, plucked by the Titans in the third round. As I look back at my notes on this young man, he blew the combine away with some very impressive numbers that you could see in his DNA (film). In the 40-yard dash, he ran 4.47/4.49, which is exceptional; had a standing broad jump of 10’3; posted a vertical leap of 41 inches; and recorded 23 reps on the bench press, which was better than a lot of running backs and linebackers.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[rp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2013/03/03122013180537.mp3[/rp3]

Tony Softli on the Jared Cook signing
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/templates/audio_player.php?a=13518&type=s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/templates/audi ... 518&type=s</a>

nighttrain

Legend
X said:
[rp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2013/03/03122013180537.mp3[/rp3]

Tony Softli on the Jared Cook signing
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/templates/audio_player.php?a=13518&type=s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/templates/audi ... 518&type=s</a>

at either Slot or TE, what a mismatch for the opposition :cheese:
train

nighttrain

Legend
Rams Agree to Terms with TE Cook
Posted by nickwagoner on March 12, 2013 – 11:00 PM
<a class="postlink" href="http://blog.stlouisrams.com/2013/03/12/rams-agree-to-terms-with-te-cook/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blog.stlouisrams.com/2013/03/12/ ... h-te-cook/</a>
In pursuit of another offensive weapon to add to the mix, Rams coach Jeff Fisher turned to a familiar face Tuesday afternoon as the Rams moved quickly to snatch tight end Jared Cook away from the Titans.
Cook agreed to terms on a five-year contract to come to St. Louis early Tuesday evening after an intense battle for his services that left the Rams as the only team to overcome Miami for a coveted free agent on the first day of free agency.
Terms of the contract were not immediately available but Cook is expected in St. Louis to take a physical and sign the deal in the next 24 hours.
With Cook in the fold, the Rams add another piece familiar with Fisher from their time together in Tennessee. In fact, Fisher was the coach of the Titans in 2009 when they used a third-round choice on Cook in the NFL Draft.
At just 25 years old and standing 6’5, 248 pounds, Cook brings an athletic skill package with solid hands that should allow the Rams to pair him with Lance Kendricks to form a dangerous tight end combination.
In his first four seasons, Cook posted 131 catches for 1,717 yards and eight touchdowns, including 49 grabs for 759 yards and three touchdowns in 2011.

fantastic tight end combo! :peace:
train

duckhunter

Starter
Some may think these factors are mutually exclusive but I think that the Cook signing reduces our desire/need for Austin in the draft. Cook having been signed for big money should take the vast majority of slot reps. Sure he will line up outside some and inline some but the majority of reps probably come from the slot. That is Austin's bread and butter. Sure Austin can line up some outside and at RB but he's primarily considered a slot guy.

I would think our goal now in the draft is to shore up the outside the numbers WR positions. If nothing else, I'm not beating the table for Austin after signing Cook.

I'm still thinking that the Ram's focus on hands, speed, quickness, route running, separation guys more so than the big high pointing flanker types.

nighttrain

Legend
duckhunter said:
Some may think these factors are mutually exclusive but I think that the Cook signing reduces our desire/need for Austin in the draft. Cook having been signed for big money should take the vast majority of slot reps. Sure he will line up outside some and inline some but the majority of reps probably come from the slot. That is Austin's bread and butter. Sure Austin can line up some outside and at RB but he's primarily considered a slot guy.

I would think our goal now in the draft is to shore up the outside the numbers WR positions. If nothing else, I'm not beating the table for Austin after signing Cook.

I'm still thinking that the Ram's focus on hands, speed, quickness, route running, separation guys more so than the big high pointing flanker types.
now that Cook is signed, and Long almost(passes physical), and if we do sign Safety Delmas. We let the draft come to us. It should be best player available on Rams board regardless of position.

hopefully Rok is all that, and a bag of chips, then offensive line is Wells in the center, guards, ROK and Dahl, tackles Long and Saffold..my thots anyway
train

duckhunter

Starter
nighttrain said:
duckhunter said:

now that Cook is signed, and Long almost(passes physical), and if we do sign Safety Delmas. We let the draft come to us. It should be best player available on Rams board regardless of position.

hopefully Rok is all that, and a bag of chips, then offensive line is Wells in the center, guards, ROK and Dahl, tackles Long and Saffold..my thots anyway
train

Yeah, BPA is a great place to be in the upcoming draft. Jrry's been right on the Ram's cuts from day 1 and we may need the money from a Dahl cut if we make those two big signings of Long and Delmas.

If that were to pass seems guard and outside the numbers WR are priorities. Work a quality WLB and safety in there also and we be looking pretty good on paper. Could work out very well that our needs align with the strength and value of our high picks.

After getting all the 'Rome wasn't rebuilt in a day stuff' from the last regime, this sure puts a smile on my face. Heck, I might quit with the 'we got a lot of holes still to fill' stuff, too.

jap

Legend
nighttrain said:
duckhunter said:

train

Well, Rok knows that they were counting on him to be the starting LG last season and that he set himself back by coming in out of shape. It was good to hear that he had been ahead of schedule in his rehab and that he is in much better shape.

fearsomefour

Legend
A lot money to give a guy who has never dominated in college or the pros. That said, playing TE probably has a lot to do with that. The Titans signing Walker who is a blocker first and foremost lets you know how they want to use the TE. Cook could be a difference maker for sure. Being able to run a two TE set out there and then split Cook to create mismatches can be huge. If he lines up just as a WR he can create size mismatches with almost all corners. I wonder if Fisher invisions him as a Calvin Johnson type who has been miscast as a TE. I wonder what this says about the teams confidence in Quick....probably says nothing. One thing is for sure you pay a guy $7M a year to block at the TE spot. I am sure they will run sets with him at TE and some at WR. A big guy like that sliding out to the slot can create total havoc. Of course having a guy that creates those problems helps free others up. Givens manned up or teams just running a zone to avoid man to man with our WR or rolling coverge to Cook in the middle should really open things up outside. The NFL seems to moving in a direction of finding great athletes and adjusting the scheme to let them do their thing. Cook could certainly fit this bill. My hope for the Rams (if Long signs) in the draft now shifts squarly to Austin. Having another explosive guy that can line up all over and fills multiple needs (Austing WR & KR, Cook TE & WR, Long would improve both LT and RT) could create havoc. Time will tell if the Rams overpaid on not, but, I would certainly rather pay what they paid for Cook than what Miami spent for Wallace.

nighttrain

Legend
fearsomefour said:
A lot money to give a guy who has never dominated in college or the pros. That said, playing TE probably has a lot to do with that. The Titans signing Walker who is a blocker first and foremost lets you know how they want to use the TE. Cook could be a difference maker for sure. Being able to run a two TE set out there and then split Cook to create mismatches can be huge. If he lines up just as a WR he can create size mismatches with almost all corners. I wonder if Fisher invisions him as a Calvin Johnson type who has been miscast as a TE. I wonder what this says about the teams confidence in Quick....probably says nothing. One thing is for sure you pay a guy $7M a year to block at the TE spot. I am sure they will run sets with him at TE and some at WR. A big guy like that sliding out to the slot can create total havoc. Of course having a guy that creates those problems helps free others up. Givens manned up or teams just running a zone to avoid man to man with our WR or rolling coverge to Cook in the middle should really open things up outside. The NFL seems to moving in a direction of finding great athletes and adjusting the scheme to let them do their thing. Cook could certainly fit this bill. My hope for the Rams (if Long signs) in the draft now shifts squarly to Austin. Having another explosive guy that can line up all over and fills multiple needs (Austing WR & KR, Cook TE & WR, Long would improve both LT and RT) could create havoc. Time will tell if the Rams overpaid on not, but, I would certainly rather pay what they paid for Cook than what Miami spent for Wallace.

Imagine Quick and Cook outside, Givens in the slot and Kendricks over the middle!
Two huge WR'ers, so many ways to play this..then if we get Austin, just like WOW
train

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree the possibilities are exciting. I would like to see Givens and Quick outside with Cook in the slot. Givens speed could cause havoc anywhere, but, playing Cook in the slot where he could be covered by a 3rd CB or a LB is a major mismatch....as long as he can get off the bump. I really can see situations with Cook matched up on a LB....all day long.