Jared Cook signs with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
libertadrocks said:
CGI_Ram said:
libertadrocks said:
Anyone heard about the $$$$$?

Hopefully its not north of 10m

No numbers.

No way north of $10M.

My guess; $7M per.

He was throwing crazy numbers at the Titans in contract negotiations. Just hoping we didnt give into those numbers
I've read 36 mil for 5 yrs. that's 7 mil a yr for those mathematically challenged :)
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
nighttrain said:
libertadrocks said:
CGI_Ram said:
libertadrocks said:
Anyone heard about the $$$$$?

Hopefully its not north of 10m

No numbers.

No way north of $10M.

My guess; $7M per.

He was throwing crazy numbers at the Titans in contract negotiations. Just hoping we didnt give into those numbers
I've read 36 mil for 5 yrs. that's 7 mil a yr for those mathematically challenged :)
train

The franchise number is $5.9M.

That's why I tossed out $7M.

I look fwd to confirmation.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ryback said:
Great grab. Straight to second string stone hands Kendricks
I'm thinking 2-TE sets with Kendricks being the ULTIMATE in-line TE who can peel off and become a pretty nice weapon that nobody accounts for. I love this move, but I don't love the stone hands comment. Would it surprise you to know that he had a higher catch % than a lot of very good TEs in the league last year?

jESePI7.png

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/22/signature-stats-drop-rate-tight-ends/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ight-ends/</a>

Yesterday we looked back at the Drop Rate for wide receivers in the 2012 season. Well, it stands to reason that we would next turn our attention to tight ends to see which guys had the best hands this year.

A drop rate is figured out when you add up the amount of catches and drops a guy had to create a catchable balls figure. You then divide the number of drops by catchable balls, multiply by 100, and you get yourself a drop rate.

For tight ends we’ve set the minimum catchable targets at 30, and the results are interesting.

Dropping the Ball

Once you see which tight end dropped the most passes in the NFL, it goes someway to explaining why we spent less time talking about Jimmy Graham in 2012 after his breakout 2011. His 15 drops led all tight ends, with the next worst being the 10 managed by Aaron Hernandez.

Quite the difference.

Other guys in the Top 5 include Jermichael Finley and Brandon Pettigrew, who both dropped nine passes. Yet they at least caught more than 50 balls each. The same can’t be said for Delanie Walker, who caught only 21 passes compared to the nine he dropped.

dooVzoW.png

Woeful Walker

That means nobody has a worse drop rate than Walker, who dropped a staggering 30% of all catchable balls. I think I speak for all of us when I say, wow. His score puts that of Hernandez (16.39) and Graham (15) to shame, and is more than double that of Pettigrew and Finley who also feature in the bottom five.

For those wondering where Kellen Davis is, it’s only the lack of catchable balls thrown his way that see him avoid the list. His 29.63 drop rate was bad enough that it would be something of a surprise to see him back in Chicago next year. You can’t drop eight balls and catch 19 and make it in this league.

4nl9KDo.png

Fantastic Fasano

Still, there are plenty who can be proud of their performances. Take Anthony Fasano for example, who went the entire year without dropping a single pass. He may not excite a fanbase like some other tight ends, but he’s once again proven to be a reliable weapon for his quarterback.

He was the only tight end not to drop a pass, while three others all ended the year with only the one drop. Of them, Jacob Tamme caught the most balls and so finished second overall, highlighting how effective he was despite being a situational player.

08ffe7b0123349cabe71487.png

Of course, there’s more to playing tight end than just catching the ball. However, as offenses become more and more passing oriented, it’s pivotal they find guys who can secure the football and make stuff happen. In respect of the first part of that, the Drop Rate really highlights (for good and bad) the extremes of doing so.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm sure they'll be up there, but if the Rams are still going after Jake Long, I can't imagine it's going to kill them. They've probably worked some cap magic as well, but unless they plan on really low balling Long, which I doubt, it'll probably work out.

I don't really worry about money though, above my pay grade.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
Ryback said:
I'm thinking 2-TE sets with Kendricks being the ULTIMATE in-line TE who can peel off and become a pretty nice weapon that nobody accounts for. I love this move, but I don't love the stone hands comment. Would it surprise you to know that he had a higher catch % than a lot of very good TEs in the league last year?

jESePI7.png

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/22/signature-stats-drop-rate-tight-ends/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ight-ends/</a>

Yesterday we looked back at the Drop Rate for wide receivers in the 2012 season. Well, it stands to reason that we would next turn our attention to tight ends to see which guys had the best hands this year.

A drop rate is figured out when you add up the amount of catches and drops a guy had to create a catchable balls figure. You then divide the number of drops by catchable balls, multiply by 100, and you get yourself a drop rate.

For tight ends we’ve set the minimum catchable targets at 30, and the results are interesting.

Dropping the Ball

Once you see which tight end dropped the most passes in the NFL, it goes someway to explaining why we spent less time talking about Jimmy Graham in 2012 after his breakout 2011. His 15 drops led all tight ends, with the next worst being the 10 managed by Aaron Hernandez.

Quite the difference.

Other guys in the Top 5 include Jermichael Finley and Brandon Pettigrew, who both dropped nine passes. Yet they at least caught more than 50 balls each. The same can’t be said for Delanie Walker, who caught only 21 passes compared to the nine he dropped.

dooVzoW.png

Woeful Walker

That means nobody has a worse drop rate than Walker, who dropped a staggering 30% of all catchable balls. I think I speak for all of us when I say, wow. His score puts that of Hernandez (16.39) and Graham (15) to shame, and is more than double that of Pettigrew and Finley who also feature in the bottom five.

For those wondering where Kellen Davis is, it’s only the lack of catchable balls thrown his way that see him avoid the list. His 29.63 drop rate was bad enough that it would be something of a surprise to see him back in Chicago next year. You can’t drop eight balls and catch 19 and make it in this league.

4nl9KDo.png

Fantastic Fasano

Still, there are plenty who can be proud of their performances. Take Anthony Fasano for example, who went the entire year without dropping a single pass. He may not excite a fanbase like some other tight ends, but he’s once again proven to be a reliable weapon for his quarterback.

He was the only tight end not to drop a pass, while three others all ended the year with only the one drop. Of them, Jacob Tamme caught the most balls and so finished second overall, highlighting how effective he was despite being a situational player.

08ffe7b0123349cabe71487.png

Of course, there’s more to playing tight end than just catching the ball. However, as offenses become more and more passing oriented, it’s pivotal they find guys who can secure the football and make stuff happen. In respect of the first part of that, the Drop Rate really highlights (for good and bad) the extremes of doing so.

Walker was bad. Real bad. Michael Jackson bad.

Okay, not MJ bad. He was garbage bad.

I've never seen a player drop more balls than DW.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Ryback said:

While I do think Kendricks did struggle some his rookie year, last year I thought he was more reliable in terms of the catching department.

I love this signing. Love it, love it, love it.

duckhunter

Starter
Kendricks doesn't always extend his hands and catch it. The good ones snatch it out of the air and have it put away before you know it. He lets too many into his body. His drops are usually due to that. He's separates in his routes so well that when he drops it, it's an obvious drop. And drive stoppers stick in your mind. He's improved but there is still work to do.

I'm a bit surprised with this signing because of the money but he can pick up a lot of the slack from Danny. He's a mismatch for sure. Plus he's not nearly as fragile.

The emperor is not naked anymore when Danny is not on the field.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From what I've heard, this doesn't effect Kendricks. Cook will be used as a slot WR replacing Danny's role with a new one. And I like that. I think it's the best way to utilize him and makes him a real mismatch.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Love the signing, Danny left us a hole & Cook has filled it. Cook will take over in the slot, as I read he only lined up in-line something like 15% of the time last year.

I also think this move does not threaten Kendricks. Kendricks receptions may go down, but his opportunities will be improved with defenses worrying about Cook.

I'm not saying Kendricks & Cook are Gronk or Hernandez caliber, so don't put words in my mouth, but I want to make a comparison between the 2 groups. I think their roles in STL will be similar to the TEs in NE.

Lance reminds me of Gronkowski as he is a more balanced TE, with the ability to be a great blocker in the pass and run games, but go out for a pass too. Cook is more of the pure pass catcher like Hernandez. They rarely block, line up in the slot often, and are a matchup nightmares, as they are both overgrown receivers.

Sam should have fun with these targets over the middle and up the seams next year. Pair them with Givens and a guy like Nuke Hopkins and this offense could really take off!

These linebackers in the NFC West better have their big boy shoes on to cover our athletic TEs :hehe:

jap

Legend
rams24/7 said:
These linebackers in the NFC West better have their big boy shoes on to cover our athletic TEs :hehe:

Patrick Willis can't even cover Kendricks. What can he possibly do with Cook?

I'm warming now more & more to the idea of drafting speedy WR's with good-great hands like Hopkins or Tavon Austin or . . . both! :twisted: After our big receivers (Kendricks, Cook, & Quick) soften up the DB's some, let the defense have fun chasing the likes of Givens, Hopkins, Austin, and Pead. After all, if we have to face the very best CB in the NFL twice a year, it is only fair that we challenge him with receiving talent worthy of his self-proclaimed status. :razzed:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
jap said:
rams24/7 said:

Patrick Willis can't even cover Kendricks. What can he possibly do with Cook?

I'm warming now more & more to the idea of drafting speedy WR's with good-great hands like Hopkins or Tavon Austin or . . . both! :twisted: After our big receivers (Kendricks, Cook, & Quick) soften up the DB's some, let the defense have fun chasing the likes of Givens, Hopkins, Austin, and Pead. After all, if we have to face the very best CB in the NFL twice a year, it is only fair that we challenge him with receiving talent worthy of his self-proclaimed status. :razzed:

Gonna be a very young group regardless it looks like.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
rams24/7 said:
Love the signing, Danny left us a hole & Cook has filled it. Cook will take over in the slot, as I read he only lined up in-line something like 15% of the time last year.

I also think this move does not threaten Kendricks. Kendricks receptions may go down, but his opportunities will be improved with defenses worrying about Cook.

I'm not saying Kendricks & Cook are Gronk or Hernandez caliber, so don't put words in my mouth, but I want to make a comparison between the 2 groups. I think their roles in STL will be similar to the TEs in NE.

Lance reminds me of Gronkowski as he is a more balanced TE, with the ability to be a great blocker in the pass and run games, but go out for a pass too. Cook is more of the pure pass catcher like Hernandez. They rarely block, line up in the slot often, and are a matchup nightmares, as they are both overgrown receivers.

Sam should have fun with these targets over the middle and up the seams next year. Pair them with Givens and a guy like Nuke Hopkins and this offense could really take off!

More like 15 times total as a hand on the ground in-line tight end.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I love this move. Jared Cook Jr. oozes athleticism, has the size to compliment Kendricks, and he'll immediately become Bradford's most reliable target and a dangerous threat to everyone in the NFC West. I really, really love this move. I don't care what we had to pay to get him; it was worth it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well he's here. As a WR? Well...who knows. Hopefully he works out.