Jared Cook (Rams one of the Favorites to sign him?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Just read somewhere that the Rams are one of the favorites to sign TE Jared Cook. I am assuming this is if the Rams don't sign OT Jake Long. If the Rams do sign Long is there any possibility that they could actually sign both Long & Cook? I doubt it but that would be an awesome way to start the Free Agency period and I think both of them would be major assets/contributors to the Rams next season!

iced

paceram said:
Just read somewhere that the Rams are one of the favorites to sign TE Jared Cook. I am assuming this is if the Rams don't sign OT Jake Long. If the Rams do sign Long is there any possibility that they could actually sign both Long & Cook? I doubt it but that would be an awesome way to start the Free Agency period and I think both of them would be major assets/contributors to the Rams next season!

I don't see why not - we do have a good amount of cap room and Jared Cook isn't an elite TE like a Jimmy Graham or a Gronk, so i don't assume he'd be a huge contract.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
paceram said:
No way we can afford both, I agree it would be an amazing start to FA but id say we would be lucky to snag one of these guys. Just hope a more cap friendly team doesn't outbid us...

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
iced said:
paceram said:

I don't see why not - we do have a good amount of cap room and Jared Cook isn't an elite TE like a Jimmy Graham or a Gronk, so i don't assume he'd be a huge contract.

I love this signing! WOOOHOO.

He will get open up the middle. He was not a Graham or a Gronk because of the ..wait for it... QB that was throwing passes to him.

iced

ljramsfan said:
iced said:
paceram said:

He will get open up the middle. He was not a Graham or a Gronk because of the ..wait for it... QB that was throwing passes to him.

which sets the market value lower..hopefully...

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
ljramsfan said:
iced said:
paceram said:

6ft 6,4.5 /40 and good hands
Yeah ,we are Gronk /Hernandez like now makes a WR first round far less a need

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Thordaddy said:
ljramsfan said:
iced said:
paceram said:

6ft 6,4.5 /40 and good hands
Yeah ,we are Gronk /Hernandez like now makes a WR first round far less a need

The Rams didn't sign Cook...at least not yet.

The report was fake.

jap

Legend
Don't the Rams have some sort of contingency measure with one of their high salaried signees (Chris Long?, Baby Animal?) where they can convert some of that money in a manner that would allow them to add salary cap room for this coming season?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Delanie walker to Titans.

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/12/delanie-walker-agrees-with-titans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... th-titans/</a>
Posted by Mike Wilkening

On Tuesday, the Titans agreed to terms with a tight end with good speed.

However, we’re not talking about Jared Cook.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Tuesday that Tennessee has struck a four-year deal with 49ers free agent Delanie Walker.

Walker hauled in 21 passes for 344 yards and three TDs for San Francisco in 2012. Nine of his receptions went for 20 yards or more. He added two catches of 20-plus yards in the postseason.

Walker checked in at No. 67 on PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100 — which, at this point, needs to be handled with oven mitts.

Cook, who ranks No. 18 on our list, has been expected to have robust market. And should he sign elsewhere, the Titans have protected themselves.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[tweet]311583844165890048[/tweet]

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:

IF, the Rams do actually sign Cook will they really be able to sign Jake Long as well? I would be thrilled to see the Rams get Jared Cook but not at the expense/possibility of losing Long. If the Rams get both Long & Cook I will be a very happy Rams Fan!

jap

Legend
X said:

Miami Dolphins owner, Steve Ross: "Throw everything and the kitchen sink at Cook, damm you!!!"

Miami salary cap guy: ". . . but, but, but, boss, after the mega-contracts to Wallace and Hartline there's hardly any dinero left!

Ross: "Damn them thar' Rams! Damn them to bloody hell!!!!"

iced

jap said:
X said:

Miami Dolphins owner, Steve Ross: "Throw everything and the kitchen sink at Cook, damm you!!!"

Miami salary cap guy: ". . . but, but, but, boss, after the mega-contracts to Wallace and Hartline there's hardly any dinero left!

Ross: "Damn them thar' Rams! Damn them to bloody hell!!!!"

"Dam them Rams! They Blocked us against Fisher! Now Long AND Cook!!"

Rams: mmmm, makin' sushi out of the fins'

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jap said:
Don't the Rams have some sort of contingency measure with one of their high salaried signees (Chris Long?, Baby Animal?) where they can convert some of that money in a manner that would allow them to add salary cap room for this coming season?

Yes.

JL's 2013 roster bonus could be converted to signing bonus.

Instead of the full $11M hitting in 2013, by converting to signing bonus it spreads out the length of the contract.

So, that would free up another $8.5M this year, approximately.

I'm not sure if that's what they'll do, but that's how it would work if they do it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
bluecoconuts said:
Sounds like it would be a good option, JL still gets the money, and it saves cap space.

And being a roster bonus or signing bonus; JL gets it right away. No sweat off his back.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am getting a bad feeling that Cook will be signing with the Dolphins soon. I hope I am wrong!

Simba

Rookie
paceram said:
I am getting a bad feeling that Cook will be signing with the Dolphins soon. I hope I am wrong!
... according to CBS' La Canfora too.

bluecoconuts

Legend
That's alright, if we save money we can target other positions of need and there's some solid TE's in the draft. I didn't think the TE position was too bad last year either. I'm always hoping for an upgrade of course, but I didn't think we were bad enough where we needed to upgrade right now.