Jared Cook not happy with season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_04ff02b1-afac-5298-b517-613eb6eaa502.html

Tight end Jared Cook is on pace to establish career highs in catches, yards and touchdowns.

With four games remaining in 2013, he already has more reception yards (557) in one season than any Rams tight end since the team moved to St. Louis in 1995. He needs eight more catches to establish a “St. Louis” Rams single-season high for receptions by a tight end.

And he leads the 2013 squad in receptions (40) and yards 12 games into the season.

Nonetheless, the prevailing opinion is that Cook has had a disappointing first season with the Rams after signing a five-year, $35.1 million free-agent deal last March following his first four seasons in Tennessee.

In a sense, Cook is victim of his stellar Rams debut. In the season opener against Arizona, he caught seven passes for 141 yards and two touchdowns. The 141 yards was an all-time single-game record for a Rams tight end.

That is what’s called setting the bar high.

“What that game did for him is, obviously, it made people aware of him,” offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said. “He gathers a lot of attention in the passing game, but we’ve got a lot of weapons. The design of the plays is with multiple progressions in mind, and sometimes he’s not the first progression and he’s open and the ball goes someplace else.”

But Cook has caught only two TD passes total over the next 11 games, and caught no more than five passes for no more than 80 yards in any other game.

“If you know football, everybody knows it’s any given Sunday,” Cook said. “It’s going to be hard to put up numbers like that every single week — just in terms of how defenses scheme and how defenses play against you.”

Even so, Cook concedes that he expected more from himself.

“Some games just got away,” he said. “Some games you feel like you could’ve played better. A lot of times there’s nothing you can do about it. You’ve just got to keep playing and keep pushing forward.”

He takes little solace in the fact that he’s the most productive tight end in the 19 seasons of the “St. Louis” Rams.

“That doesn’t make me satisfied at all,” he said. “I just have to improve in the areas of my play because I feel like I can help this team some more.”

The to-do list is wide-ranging, from being more physical getting off the line of scrimmage, to becoming more consistent catching the ball, to improving his blocking.

For several weeks after that dashing debut vs. the Cardinals, Cook found himself at the top of the opponent’s scouting report. Atlanta in Week 2 had a linebacker mug him on the line of scrimmage with safety help over the top.

“Yeah. But that’s what defenses are for,” Cook said. “They get paid to stop us, and they get paid to put in schemes for their players to stop us. It’s tough.”

All in all, it has been a season of adjustment for Cook, and in some ways the receiving corps as a whole.

First came the adjustment to being targeted by opposing defenses.

Then came a switch to a more ground-oriented offense in Game 5, limiting opportunities to catch the ball. The Rams averaged 48 passes a game in their first four contests; they’ve thrown only 28 times a game since then.

Then in Game 8, Kellen Clemens took over as starting quarterback in place of the injured Sam Bradford.

“It’s different, man,” Cook said. “You’ve got two different trajectories to where the ball’s coming out. You’ve got two different guys throwing two different balls. A lot of people don’t take that into account, but it’s a lot different.

“But I think everybody’s done a pretty good job of adjusting to that. And I think Kellen’s done a heck of a job of stepping in in Sam’s place, and kind of been a sparkplug for us offensively.”

As for Cook, regardless of any thoughts outside the walls of Rams Park, Schottenheimer likes what he sees this season.

“He’s always a good target for us in the ‘money’ zone (the red zone), and third down,” Schottenheimer said. “The thing I’m most pleased about is the effort in the run game. We know what he is as a pass receiver, but in the run game, he’s taken a lot of steps up.”

Schottenheimer said Cook has worked hard on his run-blocking with tight ends coach Rob Boras, to the point where “he’s doing some things ... that we never saw him do before in Tennessee that we’re really pleased about.”

Now comes Round 2 against Arizona. In a conference call with St. Louis reporters earlier in the week, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians called Cook the Rams’ “biggest game breaker” and one of the most athletic young tight ends to “come out in a while.” For Cook, still only 25, it’s a matter of honing his game and getting the best out of himself.

And what better team to do it against than the Big Red, who play a lot of man-to-man, and have had trouble covering tights ends much of the year. Last week, they gave up three TDs to tight ends against Philadelphia.

“Yeah, I took notice of that,” said Cook, matter-of-factly.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
It's easy to criticise Cook for how he's played this season. In fact it's very easy because a lot of the time he doesn't look interested in run blocking and the perception is that he hasn't done enough overall since that first game. (As an aside, I saw something the other day showing Kendricks as a top 5 blocking TE).

However, the point about the huge drop in the number of passes attempted per game since Bradford got injured is a good one. I'll reserve judgement on Cook until he's played something close to a full season's worth of football with Bradford throwing the ball

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's easy to criticise Cook for how he's played this season. In fact it's very easy because a lot of the time he doesn't look interested in run blocking and the perception is that he hasn't done enough overall since that first game. (As an aside, I saw something the other day showing Kendricks as a top 5 blocking TE).

However, the point about the huge drop in the number of passes attempted per game since Bradford got injured is a good one. I'll reserve judgement on Cook until he's played something close to a full season's worth of football with Bradford throwing the ball

I agree.

This whole offense isn't clicking. To single out Cook feels wrong, in my book.

But; if there is a lack of effort at times by him - that needs to be fixed pronto! You can't have one of your "star players" dogging it.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
He is not alone. I expected big things given the big hype. I don't single him out though but he is on the "disappointment" list. His numbers don't scream "bad TE" but fall into "underachiever" category.

V3

Hall of Fame

The change in offense happened before Bradford got injured.

F. Mulder

Starter
I think Cook is where a number of players on the Rams are; young, talented, but underachieving. Speaking about Cook directly, I never expected him to be a road grader as a blocker because to me he is a glorified WR. However, some of his almost lack of any efforts in blocking are alarming and disappointing. There are true WRs who block better than Cook does at times. All I'm asking for in that area is just effort. Regarding his overall play, I want/need to see him want to play every snap and try to dominate the position like he has the chance to do. He seems to easily get taken out of the overall game or his game too often. He doesn't attack the ball on some catches and just seems to coast too often.

When you read the article you like the whole "I can be better" stuff but maybe I'm reading too much into it but it also almost seems like there is a "but it isn't all my fault" vibe as well.

The same thing goes for a number of guys like Givens, and to a lesser degree Quick. When you get opportunities you need to show you belong EVERY play.

The overall success of this team lies on guys becoming more than inconsistent teases and to begin to be above average at their individual positions. I want to see a maturation in effort and performance from many of these young talented guys or they will drive us, as fans, the coaches, and the team itself nuts with wild swings of great play combined with WTF play/games, as we have seen this year.

RamEERS

Pastor
the old saying go, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.. Cook.. if you just block like you're supposed to and give effort and not take plays off... you wouldn't have this problem in the first place...

RamEERS

Pastor

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
schott you have no idea what you're talking about..

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
schott you have no idea what you're talking about..

Actually I do think he's gotten some better, the problem as i see it is the reason he wasn't better to begin with,blocking is so MUCH attitude

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Is anyone happy? Playoffs or failure... that's was my outlook coming in and that's how it remains.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
It's not the misques or the drops that bother me with Cook. That stuff happens to everyone and can be fixed. It's the lack of effort and avoiding contact that bothers me.

jap

Legend
Well, I, for one, am damn glad to see he's disappointed. Cookie has so much fully untapped potential it's scary. Along with Tavon, he's a matchup nightmare. Imagine these guys operating at maximum capacity, sucking multiple defenders to them and leaving easy one-on-one match ups for their teammates?

I have never seen the problem some receivers have with blocking. With all the physical crap they absorb from NFL DB's and LB's, you would think they would greatly relish the chance to knock the snot outa somebody once in a while.

nighttrain

Legend

when Sam went down, that was the end of our offense. Not to dis Clemens, but I hope we have a better back up next season
train

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well, I, for one, am damn glad to see he's disappointed. Cookie has so much fully untapped potential it's scary. Along with Tavon, he's a matchup nightmare. Imagine these guys operating at maximum capacity, sucking multiple defenders to them and leaving easy one-on-one match ups for their teammates?

I have never seen the problem some receivers have with blocking. With all the physical crap they absorb from NFL DB's and LB's, you would think they would greatly relish the chance to knock the snot outa somebody once in a while.

It IS still football for now,so yeah maybe he earns the contract grows up etc we can hope