Jared Cook Excited for Year 3 With Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Cook Excited for Year 3 With Rams
Austin Lankford

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Cook-Excited-for-Year-3-With-Rams/1f87c323-a723-45a2-976f-904f3e3324bc

Entering his third season in a Rams uniform, Jared Cook had a strong offseason, leading into what he believes can be a special year.

“I’m feeling great and this is probably the most excited I’ve been about a season since I’ve been in the NFL,” Cook said after Sunday’s practice. “We just have a lot of upside to us and nobody knows about it, which is a great thing, and we are just flying right under the radar. We are making sure we control the things we can control and rack up win after win.”

Cook is personally ensuring he has a strong connection with starting quarterback Nick Foles. He said much of the chemistry between them comes naturally and that they’re constantly making sure they are on the same page. The tandem is working well together on the field so far through the first three days of training camp, which is a good sign.

“We’re just trying to build a rapport with him,” Cook said. “It’s something that we worked on in OTAs, but now is really the chance to elaborate on it and get better at it. He just understands my moves. We talk a lot and get a feel for each other on where he wants me to be and how I want the ball thrown on certain plays. He is doing a heck of a job leading us.”

Cook enters his seventh season in the NFL as last year’s team leader in receptions with 52 and targets with 99. He also finished with 634 yards receiving, second to only Kenny Britt. All indications point to him being a significant target for Foles this year under offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti, who Cook continues mesh well with.

“I love coach Cig,” the tight end said. “He just understands what he has on his bench in terms of players and he understands what each player can bring to the team and he uses those players to the advantage of what we are here for. That’s to get first downs and score touchdowns. He’s doing a heck of a job right now.”

FRO

Legend
Jared Cook is who he is at this point. A guy capable of being the best receiving TE in the league, but for some reason he is pretty average. Frustrating player to watch because you know there is another couple of levels he is capable of reaching.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If Foles & Cook really do "click" this season, that's going to benefit the Offense quite a bit. The ground game and the big guys outside especially. Cook is capable of putting up elite numbers in this offense IMO, he just needs to be consistent. Hopefully Foles can help with that consistency. I really like our TE's as a unit. Cook, Kendricks, Harkey.

fearsomefour

Legend
Jared Cook is who he is at this point. A guy capable of being the best receiving TE in the league, but for some reason he is pretty average. Frustrating player to watch because you know there is another couple of levels he is capable of reaching.
I think the issue with Cook is he has the measurables, but, not all measurables are created equal. He has height, 40 times and is athletic. But, he is a slow starter. Some guys are up to full speed nearly on the snap, it takes Cook a bit to get going. This is all the eye test from a far of course.
He has measurables but is not a fluid looking athlete. He tends to fight the ball when catching at times and does not appear to be a smooth route runner. A guy like Thomas or Graham who are considered TEs are much smoother and more skilled receivers. Cook cannot match those guys in terms of skill. He more than likely will never match their numbers. But, thats ok. He doesn't need to be the top stat TE in football. He can be a major contributor to the O and expect him to have a very good season. Cook putting up a 900 yard and 10+ TD season is certainly doable for Cook.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
He is without a doubt, the player I'm the most critical of.
He is far to talented to be pedestrian. I just can't figure out where his head is.
If he really can build a solid repoir with Foles and Cignetti calls his number enough, our offense would benefit greatly from him being a solid safety net in what could be some rough oline play. Add his speed into the equation and he could be our top receiving threat.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Please for the love of ROD, in we trust, give him and All, a healthy QB all season, ala Foles, maybe? Or maybe I'm being greedy! :cry:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My thinking is we will get a lot better and consistent Play with Foles at QB for 16 games. And every buddy will do 'Very Well'!!:D

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm expecting big things from Cook this season... his play falls under the "no more excuses" clause. ;)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Our hope is that with Foles Cook will benefit from that. But he also has to have the targets. With Britt, Quick and a run first team, will he get the targets? I imagine he would if he shows he's worthy of the extra opportunities. Cookie, its all on you to make it happen.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Our hope is that with Foles Cook will benefit from that. But he also has to have the targets. With Britt, Quick and a run first team, will he get the targets? I imagine he would if he shows he's worthy of the extra opportunities. Cookie, its all on you to make it happen.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Wow, my laptop is messing up big time. I'm using a wireless mouse and it keeps doing weird things. A quadruple post with one click. Guess I better unhook that thing.

RamzFanz

Damnit

Who knows how it will shake out, but so far, Cook / Foles, in the seam, is deadly.