Jared Cook blames himself for loss/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jared Cook blames himself for loss
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11925/jared-cook-blames-himself-for-loss

ST. LOUIS -- Observed and heard in the locker room after the St. Louis Rams' 34-31 loss to Dallas:

Rams tight end Jared Cook had what should have been an easy 10-yard touchdown slip through his hands early in the fourth quarter, leaving the Rams to settle for a field goal. Instead of a 28-20 lead, the Rams took a 24-20 advantage. Cook's frustration with himself boiled over on the sidelines when he shoved quarterback Austin Davis, who had come over to help him settle down after the drop. Defensive end William Hayes stepped in and yelled at Cook in an attempt to diffuse the situation.

After the game, a despondent Cook said he cleared the air with Davis and took the blame for the drop and the shove.

"I was heated, like anybody else," Cook said. "I feel like I let this game slip through my hands, and that’s my fault as a man."
Davis had another big outing, going 30-of-42 for 327 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions for a passer rating of 98.0. Apparently that performance, combined with what he did last week is not enough to earn him the job moving forward. Rams coach Jeff Fisher again reiterated that Shaun Hill will be his starter when he returns from a calf injury.

"No, I have said it and stood behind that decision," Fisher said.
Fisher declined comment on a couple of controversial calls that went against the Rams, including the defensive holding against end Eugene Sims in the game's closing moments. He said he would look at the film before offering his thoughts, presumably in his Monday news conference.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Well yeah he should, he dropped an easy wide open td catch

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I feel like we are about to get into the same debate on Cook as another thread.

It's an emotional game.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams coach Jeff Fisher again reiterated that Shaun Hill will be his starter when he returns from a calf injury.
This is the bigger, more important story IMO.

My biggest fear with Fisher after our STARTER(Bradford) went down was that he'd treat a backup like a starter in terms of loyalty. I smell that happening here.
Davis is the logical choice going forward. He has been good enough for us the last 2 weeks. I just don't see Hill being any better.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I feel like we are about to get into the same debate on Cook as another thread.

It's an emotional game.
People should try to let it go. Cook dropped a TD pass and then lost his cool. Shit happens. Young athletes (young men) make mistakes in the heat of the moment among their peers and even their elders all the time. Get over it. He certainly didn't lose this game for us.

Athos

Legend

My biggest fear with Fisher after our STARTER(Bradford) went down was that he'd treat a backup like a starter in terms of loyalty. I smell that happening here.
Davis is the logical choice going forward. He has been good enough for us the last 2 weeks. I just don't see Hill being any better.

I just don't like this misplaced loyalty. That was one of a handful of Spags great failings. Now if Hill goes and runs it smoothly, ok.

But Hill hasn't played in a game for pretty much 3 weeks. And won't see the NFL field until week 5 because of the bye. There is going to be massive rust. You can't tell me there won't be. He's hardly even practiced with the team.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
It's a shame because it feels very stubborn by Fisher. It sucks but he of all people (Hill) should get the circumstance. Wouldn't he pick the hot hand?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
People need to let it go. Cook dropped a TD pass and then lost his cool. crap happens. Young athletes (young men) make mistakes in the heat of the moment among their peers and even their elders all the time. Get over it. He certainly didn't lose this game for us.

My thoughts exactly.

Heck, he was a big part of the offense today. Take that away and there was no big lead to lose.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Davis absolutely put us in position to win this game.
I don't think anyone expected him to play as well as he has been. (Except Stranger).

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Every time Davis plays he gets better as a QB. He's developing. Hill is not going to get any better. He's not going to even be in the league a few years from now.

I don't see the upside to Hill over Davis other than years played.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
This is the first time I've completely disagreed with Fishers decision. You never ever ever place your loyalty in someone unless it's Peyton Manning. Now he knows he can't go back on his word. Davis did some things that Bradford wouldn't even think to do.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is the first time I've completely disagreed with Fishers decision. You never ever ever place your loyalty in someone unless it's Peyton Manning. Now he knows he can't go back on his word.

Agree. He boxed himself in. Not a good move.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

if he sits Davis I'm no longer a Fisher fan because that is just frankly a stupid ass move

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

My actions from today's game were truly a mistake - unintentional and in the heat of the moment. There is never an excuse for unsportsmanlike conduct and I apologize to everyone. I want to thank my teammates again, Austin Davis and William Hayes for their support on the sideline- the Rams organization and Especially to all of our fans for whom we fight so hard for your love and continued support.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

My actions from today's game were truly a mistake - unintentional and in the heat of the moment. There is never an excuse for unsportsmanlike conduct and I apologize to everyone. I want to thank my teammates again, Austin Davis and William Hayes for their support on the sideline- the Rams organization and Especially to all of our fans for whom we fight so hard for your love and continued support.

I don't believe J Cook is a bad dude and I stand by my comment that I am glad he cares enough to blow up.

At 1-2... We need to get pissed!

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Every time Davis plays he gets better as a QB. He's developing. Hill is not going to get any better. He's not going to even be in the league a few years from now.

I don't see the upside to Hill over Davis other than years played.

Are you more interested in developing a QB during regular season or playing with a proven #2? I have not seen a single reason why Hill should lose his position as the starter.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Are you more interested in developing a QB during regular season or playing with a proven #2? I have not seen a single reason why Hill should lose his position as the starter.
Because even in the scenario where two backups are of equal talent and your starter is done for the season, you develop the QB with upside as long as he isn't hurting your chances to win games....Davis hasn't.

Hell if Davis keeps getting starts and keeps playing well, we'll either have a young, proven backup for the future...or an asset to dangle in the offseason.

vdesai

UDFA
After the statement from Cook we know it was his own disappointment that bubbled out. Sure he could have handled it in a more mature way, but he has fire and that is good to see. Will Hayes being there to backup his teammate is another thing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams coach Jeff Fisher again reiterated that Shaun Hill will be his starter when he returns from a calf injury.

I don't like this. Here's why:
1. Austin Davis is progressing. He has upside and he's young.
2. Hill isn't a strong bet to stay healthy with his history and age.
3. The team has been rallying around Davis, throwing Hill back in just throws off the chemistry and is putting too many cooks in the kitchen imo.
4. Davis has played incredibly well. No reason not to stick with him.
5. I don't know that Hill has that same sort of grit and toughness in the face of pressure anymore that Davis is displaying and that will be key with our OL.