Janoris Jenkins thinks Tavon Austin can be very special

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
[wrapimg=right]http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/350x-54-e1372776433931.jpg?w=205[/wrapimg]Josh Alper
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/02/janoris-jenkins-thinks-tavon-austin-can-be-very-special/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... er=ya5nbcs</a>

When the Rams made wide receiver Tavon Austin the eighth overall pick of the 2013 draft, Austin said he had a lot of “cousins” coming to him with their hands out in hopes of getting some of the money Austin will earn when he signs his deal with St. Louis.

It’s the kind of situation that can lead to bad things down the road, as Cowboys tackle Tyron Smith has experienced, and the kind of off-field distraction that can slow down a young player’s transition to the NFL. Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins doesn’t want to see that happen to Austin, both because he has experience in how the wrong decisions can impact your football career and because he thinks Austin has the kind of talent that can help the Rams offense catch fire next season.

“He’s pretty fast, he’s a dynamic receiver. Great speed, great hands, great quickness,” Jenkins said during an interview with Andrew Siciliano of the NFL Network. “I think he can be very special. He’s just got to work, stay focused and, like I said, just put himself around positive people. But as far as talent-wise he has it all.”

Austin is expected to be a very busy man in the Rams offense, using his speed and athleticism to make plays all over the field for quarterback Sam Bradford. It’s something the Rams have lacked in Bradford’s first three seasons, so we’re guessing Jenkins isn’t the only member of the organization who wants to see Austin free of off-field issues that would slow him down on the field.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I like that Jenkins says he just needs to stay focused and put himself around positive people... It means that he's doing the same.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd like to see these two cats compete in a foot race.
100 yard dash. Timed. With an audience.
:cool:

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
That PFT article contained a link to an NFL.com article -- that Janoris Jenkins interview will be airing on NFL Total Access tonight at 7pm (EST).

Already set my DVR.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I hope he has a lot of trouble covering Austin in training camp. Sort of.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
I hope he has a lot of trouble covering Austin in training camp. Sort of.
lol. Yeah. That's a double-edged sword right there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Join the club, Janoris. Just don't tell playmaker, he'll tell you that Tavon isn't a first round talent because players his size never get drafted in the 1st round.(and he wasn't the only one to make that argument) :ww:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
Join the club, Janoris. Just don't tell playmaker, he'll tell you that Tavon isn't a first round talent because players his size never get drafted in the 1st round.(and he wasn't the only one to make that argument) :ww:
Sometimes you gotta break the mold, and I'm glad Snead / Fisher did just that.
I'm also, of course, hoping it pays the dividends they think it will.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
X hoping no one gets cut:
Yeah. That's a double-edged sword right there.
The win-win here is they make each other better. :yessir:
I don't know how much Jenkins is going to cover Austin though. Jenkins might not ever be a slot corner, so it might be Johnson or Finnegan on Tavon this coming camp. Man I wish I could get out there and take a look at a few of those practices. Still trying to make that happen.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X replied:
I don't know how much Jenkins is going to cover Austin though. Jenkins might not ever be a slot corner, so it might be Johnson or Finnegan on Tavon this coming camp.

Very possibly but I was under the impression they aren't going to limit Austin to just the slot. With Cook in the slot and Pead at RB, I think Austin will line up on the outside on occasion. Possibly more than just occasionally.

I can't wait to see how many different ways Schotty comes up with to use Austin.