Jamon Brown vs Raiders

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Amazing how better coaching goes a long way in improving player performance.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

And leadership . Saffold gave his line Mates a lot of credit. Saying how cohesive they are becoming as a unit.
He then talked about how much good coaching has been .
He says Jamon Brown & Big Robs technique is improving real well , & they should ready to go when the season starts.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I rewatched all 33 snaps Jamon Brown had vs the Raiders. Here is my unbiased report offered up to ROD.

Jamon Brown vs Raiders

Summary: Jamon showed very quick feet, good power and good assignment awareness knowing who to block and where to go on each play. He stood up well on several occasions vs defensive plays of the year Khalil Mack. He also went up against rookies 94 Eddie Vanderdoes (3rd rounder) and 90 Trayvon Hester (7th round) and won almost every battle. Jamon needs work on locking on to defenders to sustain his blocks longer and staying balanced in pass pro more consistently. He showed impressive reaction and awareness vs stunts in this game.

Total plays: 33

Rating totals vs Raiders:

Very good - 6
Better than normal plays of Pro Bowl caliber.

Good - 23
Serviceable plays where you did your job.

Bad - 4
Plays where you hurt the team or need work

Very bad - 0
Plays where you got owned.

All 33 plays: (These are my rough chicken scratch notes i jotted down when I reviewed each snap. Please excuse the punctuation, grammar, spelling etc.)

1 run -loses engage man makes tackle or is close. Bad.

2 pass -good sustained protection. Good.

3 run - pulls to left side to help open a hole for Gurley on 3rd and 1. Moves guy back with power. Very good.

4 pass- play action. He slides to left to help sell the play action which results in first down pass to Woods. Good.

5 run - this is the play where Oline moves pile for 9 yards. Brown stonewalls his man on the right side on a nice seal block. Good.

6 run - shoots out to take out #57 right inside linebacker moving him back 8 yards to open hole for Gurley for 9 yards. Very good.

7 pass - play action. This was the big gainer to Everett. Brown shoots out to take out ILB #57, initial push but then quickly disengaged by 57 who then covers up Gurley on the pass. Need to sustain block better with hands. Bad.

8 pass - play action TD to Kupp. Slides left to sell play action. Good.

9 run - blocks NT #94 to left on a Gurley outside zone run to right. Almost lost hand engage but didn't. Sustained seal block for duration of run. Good.

10 pass - the Mack sack splitting the TE's. Brown with initial team chip block on 94 with Havenstein. Then keeps head up but no one else to block really. Good.

11 pass - the dump to Gurley play. Initial chip block on 94 with sully then quick slide to pickup and double Mack with sully as 94 stunts to outside. Super job blocking Mack! Very good.

12 run - Gurley run to left. Brown chips 94 and then try's to shoot out to block LBers but they are already too far away. Looks like either he shouldn't have chipped or shouldn't have shooter out. Not sure. Neutral play but let's go good. Good.

13 pass -slides to block 94 on a Kupp first down pass to right. Nice feet and nice mirroring to his right. No pressure. Good.

14 pass - play action to left. Another play where the whole line student body's left on the fake to Gurley and Goff rolls right. He did his job selling it though Mack rushed fast to force Goff throw away. Good.

15 pass - 1st down pass to Higbee. Good initial punch and block by Brown on 94. Then Mack comes hard to Brown's right on a switch. Brown picks up Mack and 94 curls around Havenstein for a hard pressure. Goff gets it off in time. Brown might have got called for hooking Mack here, but it was a bang bang play and looked like good veteran technique because the hook was gone quickly. Mack is powerful and Brown stood slowed him for at least a second before Mack got loose. Good.

16 run - very nice seal block on #90 while Gurley runs for 8 to the right. Good.

17 pass - Kupp to the 2 yard line. Raiders come with safety blitz to Havenstein with Brown drawing Mack one on one and Sully with #90. Brown fighting intensely to hold off Mack. Everyone needs to Behold this. Mack comes in like a bull ramming Brown two yards back off the spot as Brown is in his pass pro pocket drop. Mack then Rams Brown a 2nd time another yard back while Brown finally finds his footing and locks onto Mack to WWF Mack off balance to the ground. Brown gives up a lot of ground on this play to push the pocket more than ideal but ultimately stops Mack. Because of the fact of who Brown was battling here one on one, he gets a very good. Very Good.

18 run - gurely TD. Brown stands up # 90 and gets about a 1 yard push on him. Gurley runs behind Brown for TD. Good.

19 pass - quick pass - brown slides to right to help double 94. Shows quick feet and recognition. Good.

20 pass - underneath to Malcom Brown. Jamon draws 94 one on one. Holds pocket for sufficient time before 94 finally shakes lose. Pass already thrown. This would have been a pressure or sack if Goff needed extended time but because Jamon held defender for reasonable time he gets positive grade. This play is Another example of how Brown doesn't sustain blocks long like the other lineman which is a concern. But his quick feet, understanding of assignment and initial engagement with defender provides serviceable pass protection. Good.

21 pass - underneath pass to Kupp for 18. Brown doubles DE 91 with Havenstein. Nice assign ment awareness. Which I'll henceforth abbreviate as AA. Brown shows a lot of AA. Good

22 run - up the middle. Brown helps center push NT back 3 yards for nice 3 yard gain. Good.

23 run - to right side. Brown shoots out to find a LB to push. Doesn't really locate anyone. Pushes pile around in a nice 5 yard gain by Malcom. Good.

24 pass - first down to Sammy. Short pass. Brown Mirrors 90 nicely in pass protection. Again provided nice pass protection for adequate pocket time but right at the end his guy sort of starts shaking free compared to how our other lineman stonewall guys a Bit longer. Good.

25 run - chip blocks 90 then shoots out to get second level block can't find a man then safety # 27 runs right past him. #90 gets half tackle because brown didn't chip him long enough. This seems to be a timing thing and coachable. I'll
Give him bad here just because his guy made the play and it's something he will need to work on to be a complete blocker. Bad

26 pass - WR screen to Sammy for not much. Brown shoots out quickly but doesn't get there in time to get a block.
Good AA of where he is supposed to be. Maybe needs to work on finding someone to block a little better. Good.

27 pass - quick pass to Kupp to the left for 1st down. Brown initial good setup to block 94 then gets off balance and loses his man. Would have been sack or pressure if it wasn't a quick pass. Need to work on staying balanced and locking on with hands. Bad.

28 pass - play action pass to Everett to the right. Another student body left for the Oline. Brown sells it fine. Good.

29 pass - Sammy TD drop. Brown fighting hard with 94. Mirrors good but gets pushed off balance. A little shaky but does the job of giving Goff just enough time. Good.

30 pass - underneath to Malcom. Initial block on 94 Who stunts with #47, Brown seamlessly switched picking up 47 perfectly and stonewalls 47 backwards for perfect team pass pro. Very good.

31 run - shoots out and power blocks #57 out of the play. Moves 57 completely out of play with power and hand usage. Very good.

32 pass - Brown blocks 94 into Havenstein on handoff then picks up 97 perfectly. Good.

33 pass - quick pass to Kupp bringing on Fg unit. Brown fires out to try to pickup a block for Kupp on the WR screen. Nothing to block. Nice AA. Good.

End of first half. Brown done for the night.
Great work TexasRam.I really appreciate you taking the time
to do the scouting report and to share it with us.Cheers Bro.
cheers-beer-yoga.jpg

Zero

Pro Bowler
Ain't that the truth.I think our suspicions are confirmed.
Bonus to that is, players that we had doubts about will continue
to get better.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nice job putting that up @TexasRam. That's the Jamon Brown I was expecting this season. He really stepped it up and had a stronger game, and hopefully this next weekend he'll be ready for another good matchup vs the Chargers.

The guy is just a really nice fit for Kromer IMO. Really hope he continues this ascent in his play, because if he does this line is going to look pretty solid.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Thanks so much @TexasRam for your work and write up-----lots of work for you, so I really appreciate the effort. This report goes beyond being just a fan as it gives the board a detailed scouting report on Jamon's most recent performance. When I was watching the game live, I thought Jamon looked much improved from the 1st ps game and your report confirms that. That "one play" from the 1st game was just too much a reminder of what I saw last year-----Gurley getting hit in the backfield as soon as he took the handoff-----and last year's running game was a big reason for a nightmare of a season. I just hope to see continued improvement of this whole team, especially the OL as that sets the tone for our offense. Thanks again for your efforts, very much appreciated.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
@TexasRam , fantastic work! Your love of the game is abundantly expressed here.

Hell, no one and I mean no one in the mainstream media has even come close to sharing a player's game breakdown as you have done.

And that, boys and girls is why when I want news and information on my Rams, I come to ROD! The gall darn bestest group of fans in the whole danged intertwitterbookchatperiscopewide world.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I rewatched all 33 snaps Jamon Brown had vs the Raiders. Here is my unbiased report offered up to ROD.

Jamon Brown vs Raiders

Summary: Jamon showed very quick feet, good power and good assignment awareness knowing who to block and where to go on each play. He stood up well on several occasions vs defensive plays of the year Khalil Mack. He also went up against rookies 94 Eddie Vanderdoes (3rd rounder) and 90 Trayvon Hester (7th round) and won almost every battle. Jamon needs work on locking on to defenders to sustain his blocks longer and staying balanced in pass pro more consistently. He showed impressive reaction and awareness vs stunts in this game.

Very good - 6

Good - 23

Bad - 4

Very bad - 0

All 33 plays: (These are my rough chicken scratch notes i jotted down when I reviewed each snap. Please excuse the punctuation, grammar, spelling etc.)

3 run - pulls to left side to help open a hole for Gurley on 3rd and 1. Moves guy back with power. Very good.

4 pass- play action. He slides to left to help sell the play action which results in first down pass to Woods. Good.

5 run - this is the play where Oline moves pile for 9 yards. Brown stonewalls his man on the right side on a nice seal block. Good.

6 run - shoots out to take out #57 right inside linebacker moving him back 8 yards to open hole for Gurley for 9 yards. Very good.

7 pass - play action. This was the big gainer to Everett. Brown shoots out to take out ILB #57, initial push but then quickly disengaged by 57 who then covers up Gurley on the pass. Need to sustain block better with hands. Bad.

9 run - blocks NT #94 to left on a Gurley outside zone run to right. Almost lost hand engage but didn't. Sustained seal block for duration of run. Good.

10 pass - the Mack sack splitting the TE's. Brown with initial team chip block on 94 with Havenstein. Then keeps head up but no one else to block really. Good.

11 pass - the dump to Gurley play. Initial chip block on 94 with sully then quick slide to pickup and double Mack with sully as 94 stunts to outside. Super job blocking Mack! Very good.

12 run - Gurley run to left. Brown chips 94 and then try's to shoot out to block LBers but they are already too far away. Looks like either he shouldn't have chipped or shouldn't have shooter out. Not sure. Neutral play but let's go good. Good.

13 pass -slides to block 94 on a Kupp first down pass to right. Nice feet and nice mirroring to his right. No pressure. Good.

14 pass - play action to left. Another play where the whole line student body's left on the fake to Gurley and Goff rolls right. He did his job selling it though Mack rushed fast to force Goff throw away. Good.

15 pass - 1st down pass to Higbee. Good initial punch and block by Brown on 94. Then Mack comes hard to Brown's right on a switch. Brown picks up Mack and 94 curls around Havenstein for a hard pressure. Goff gets it off in time. Brown might have got called for hooking Mack here, but it was a bang bang play and looked like good veteran technique because the hook was gone quickly. Mack is powerful and Brown stood slowed him for at least a second before Mack got loose. Good.

16 run - very nice seal block on #90 while Gurley runs for 8 to the right. Good.

17 pass - Kupp to the 2 yard line. Raiders come with safety blitz to Havenstein with Brown drawing Mack one on one and Sully with #90. Brown fighting intensely to hold off Mack. Everyone needs to Behold this. Mack comes in like a bull ramming Brown two yards back off the spot as Brown is in his pass pro pocket drop. Mack then Rams Brown a 2nd time another yard back while Brown finally finds his footing and locks onto Mack to WWF Mack off balance to the ground. Brown gives up a lot of ground on this play to push the pocket more than ideal but ultimately stops Mack. Because of the fact of who Brown was battling here one on one, he gets a very good. Very Good.

18 run - gurely TD. Brown stands up # 90 and gets about a 1 yard push on him. Gurley runs behind Brown for TD. Good.

19 pass - quick pass - brown slides to right to help double 94. Shows quick feet and recognition. Good.

20 pass - underneath to Malcom Brown. Jamon draws 94 one on one. Holds pocket for sufficient time before 94 finally shakes lose. Pass already thrown. This would have been a pressure or sack if Goff needed extended time but because Jamon held defender for reasonable time he gets positive grade. This play is Another example of how Brown doesn't sustain blocks long like the other lineman which is a concern. But his quick feet, understanding of assignment and initial engagement with defender provides serviceable pass protection. Good.

21 pass - underneath pass to Kupp for 18. Brown doubles DE 91 with Havenstein. Nice assign ment awareness. Which I'll henceforth abbreviate as AA. Brown shows a lot of AA. Good

22 run - up the middle. Brown helps center push NT back 3 yards for nice 3 yard gain. Good.

23 run - to right side. Brown shoots out to find a LB to push. Doesn't really locate anyone. Pushes pile around in a nice 5 yard gain by Malcom. Good.

24 pass - first down to Sammy. Short pass. Brown Mirrors 90 nicely in pass protection. Again provided nice pass protection for adequate pocket time but right at the end his guy sort of starts shaking free compared to how our other lineman stonewall guys a Bit longer. Good.

25 run - chip blocks 90 then shoots out to get second level block can't find a man then safety # 27 runs right past him. #90 gets half tackle because brown didn't chip him long enough. This seems to be a timing thing and coachable. I'll
Give him bad here just because his guy made the play and it's something he will need to work on to be a complete blocker. Bad

26 pass - WR screen to Sammy for not much. Brown shoots out quickly but doesn't get there in time to get a block.
Good AA of where he is supposed to be. Maybe needs to work on finding someone to block a little better. Good.

27 pass - quick pass to Kupp to the left for 1st down. Brown initial good setup to block 94 then gets off balance and loses his man. Would have been sack or pressure if it wasn't a quick pass. Need to work on staying balanced and locking on with hands. Bad.

28 pass - play action pass to Everett to the right. Another student body left for the Oline. Brown sells it fine. Good.

29 pass - Sammy TD drop. Brown fighting hard with 94. Mirrors good but gets pushed off balance. A little shaky but does the job of giving Goff just enough time. Good.

30 pass - underneath to Malcom. Initial block on 94 Who stunts with #47, Brown seamlessly switched picking up 47 perfectly and stonewalls 47 backwards for perfect team pass pro. Very good.

31 run - shoots out and power blocks #57 out of the play. Moves 57 completely out of play with power and hand usage. Very good.

32 pass - Brown blocks 94 into Havenstein on handoff then picks up 97 perfectly. Good.

33 pass - quick pass to Kupp bringing on Fg unit. Brown fires out to try to pickup a block for Kupp on the WR screen. Nothing to block. Nice AA. Good.

That was a GREAT read @TexasRam !

You just made it obvious that ROD can have its own PFF (Pro Football Focus)

Why don't we do an ROD version of PFF?

We can get a pool of volunteers on ROD to choose one or two players at each position group and do a break down like you did on Jamon Brown. (every snap)

I would rather read in depth write ups like the one you did from our own members here that have a good eye for player performance.

If we had enough volunteers to select a player or two for at least the offense or defense that are willing to re-watch the games and put a detailed write up about every snap of the player/s they're covering.

There would be some blind spots (flaws) on some position groups on some plays because of the camera losing them for a portion of the play, but I think members on ROD could still do a fantastic job.. I would be willing to do it?

dea.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Jamon Brown vs Raiders

Very good - 6

Good - 23

Bad - 4

Very bad - 0

From what I saw of Brown, his play, was drastically better in week 2 vs week 1, so that's all anyone can ask! Maybe week 3 he's the Hero!!?!

TexasRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was a GREAT read @TexasRam !

You just made it obvious that ROD can have its own PFF (Pro Football Focus)

Why don't we do an ROD version of PFF?

We can get a pool of volunteers on ROD to choose one or two players at each position group and do a break down like you did on Jamon Brown. (every snap)

I would rather read in depth write ups like the one you did from our own members here that have a good eye for player performance.

If we had enough volunteers to select a player or two for at least the offense or defense that are willing to re-watch the games and put a detailed write up about every snap of the player/s they're covering.

There would be some blind spots (flaws) on some position groups on some plays because of the camera losing them for a portion of the play, but I think members on ROD could still do a fantastic job.. I would be willing to do it?

dea.jpg

Sounds like a great idea. I know I would love a play by play breakdown of as many players as possible.

The question is how many would be willing to do it. Took me a few hours just to take notes on one half of football. A full game maybe 3+ hour project, if someone wants to be thorough.

I want to do a breakdown of the other lineman but don't have the time.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

Jamon Brown vs Raiders

Very good - 6

Good - 23

Bad - 4

Very bad - 0

Amazing observation and write up - I'm glad someone did it, I was worried that fans were going to start to chew him up as the new Greg Robinson - I really like our O-line this year and I can't wait for the guys to develop into a more cohesive unit.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I was worried that fans were going to start to chew him, (Jamon Brown) up as the new Greg Robinson
Converting a third-rounder from Tackle to Guard has a certain amount of risk,
but nothing like when the 2nd pick in the entire draft fails.

We seem to be moving on well though. :D

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sounds like a great idea. I know I would love a play by play breakdown of as many players as possible.

The question is how many would be willing to do it. Took me a few hours just to take notes on one half of football. A full game maybe 3+ hour project, if someone wants to be thorough.

I want to do a breakdown of the other lineman but don't have the time.
I hear yuh. I've never put together anything like what you did but have spent quite a bit of time in the past going over nothing but Keenum's footwork and throwing motion from two games. I ended up scrapping most of it.

Just know that we really appreciate you doing this even if you don't have time to keep it up. Simply a great read.