James Laurinaitis having a very nice year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OhioRam

Rookie
96 TACKLES with 2 sacks and 2 ints and has been around the ball and got to the ball carrier
really well this year.
This is one guy who stood out to me game in and game out this season.
Wish the rams use him in the blitz more to help get after the Qb along with
Alac Tree

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He's had lapses this year but overall has been a good player his entire career so far.

Some say he's the 4th best MLB in the division...and aside from Luke Kuechly, I can't think of one MLB I'd take over James from the rest of the league.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I've read somewhere that he's missed less than 10 snaps over his entire career. True definition of an every down backer. May not be a physical freak like Willis with a power/speed combo, but imo he is still a top 5 MLB in the league. Has always been solid in coverage, even though he doesn't have elite speed. Has improved shedding blocks and knifing across the line in his career. One of the smartest players in the league today.

Idk why he gets so much hate for his contract. Imo well earned. Maybe he doesn't make CRAZY plays like Willis or Kueckly, but he gets the job done every year. QB of the D

OhioRam

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
4th best? I will take him over seattle and the cards MLB anyday...2nd best and Willis is not even having
that good of a year but his last name will get him in the pro bowl

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
4th best? I will take him over seattle and the cards MLB anyday...2nd best and Willis is not even having

Imo

1. Willis
2. Luke Kuechly
3. James Laurinaitis
4. Navorro Bowman
5. Darryl Washington
6. D'Quell Jackson
7. Derrick Johnson
8. Sean Lee
9. Lance Briggs

Some of the LBs may be more powerful than him, have better speed, etc. But imo he is the 3rd most COMPLETE MLB in the NFL

A55VA6

Legend
James isn't one of those flashy guys, but he does his job well. He's a player every team would love to have.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Smart heady MLB that is almost always around the ball. JL is anything but a player we need to look to upgrade.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Daryl Washington, James Laurinaitis. Fourth best.

Again, if he's fourth in the NFCW the rest of the league is depleted w/ good MLBs, especially 4-3 guys.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I watch whiner games pretty often as my brother is a fan. I will say that Willis makes a living off his reputation from earlier in his career. Dont get me wrong, he's still good, but he's not even the best LB on his team, Bowman is. Bowman may be the most underrated lb in the league because he's living in the shadow of Willis' last name.
Willis is nowhere near what he was.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I watch whiner games pretty often as my brother is a fan. I will say that Willis makes a living off his reputation from earlier in his career. Dont get me wrong, he's still good, but he's not even the best LB on his team, Bowman is. Bowman may be the most underrated lb in the league because he's living in the shadow of Willis' last name.

You hit it on the money.

V3

Hall of Fame
He's okay. There are much bigger issues than JL. He's a good leader and smart but he has issues shedding blocks and tackling. He usually gets dragged a yard or two before he gets people down. I'm not sure I'd say this year has been any better or worse for him. He's pretty steady at what he does.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Maybe I'm crazy,OK I'm crazy but I'd like to draft a bigger MLB and and replace Dunbar with JL
JL is so much better in coverage AND I think blitzing from outside he'd get there and deliver

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Daryl Washington, James Laurinaitis. Fourth best.

Again, if he's fourth in the NFCW the rest of the league is depleted w/ good MLBs, especially 4-3 guys.

I'm going to agree with 24/7 and others and say Kuechly is top 3. I like your list so I'd suggest JL's 5th best.

He's got to get off tackles better, IMO. But he's a dependable SOB that's a serious bonus.

BigHornRAMM

Rookie
Name
BigHorn
He's had lapses this year but overall has been a good player his entire career so far.

Some say he's the 4th best MLB in the division...and aside from Luke Kuechly, I can't think of one MLB I'd take over James from the rest of the league.

Can't think of 4 you would rather have? Kiki Alonzo is a BEAST and a rookie, Sean Lee, Vontaz Burifiet I prob spelled his name wrong. Leads the NFL in tackles, Bowman I can think of 14 LB's I'd take over JL... And this is coming from a HUGE Buckeye fan and former student.. Sooooo

V3

Hall of Fame
Maybe I'm crazy,OK I'm crazy but I'd like to draft a bigger MLB and and replace Dunbar with JL
JL is so much better in coverage AND I think blitzing from outside he'd get there and deliver

I've thought of moving JL to the outside. He's better at pass coverage. When he goes for a tackle on a RB he usually gets dragged a yard or three, and that's assuming he gets off his block.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Can't think of 4 you would rather have? Kiki Alonzo is a BEAST and a rookie, Sean Lee, Vontaz Burifiet I prob spelled his name wrong. Leads the NFL in tackles, Bowman I can think of 14 LB's I'd take over JL... And this is coming from a HUGE Buckeye fan and former student.. Sooooo

Burfict is good, but doesn't have as complete a game as JL. I do like Kiko Alonzo, but not ready to put him ahead of JL after one year, well on his way to being a top LB. I like Lee, reminds me a lot of JL, not the biggest guy, pass coverage is his best skill, BUT he's injured too often. So I put JL ahead of Lee.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing

Ray Lewis wasn't the best LB on the Ravens towards the end of his career. His presence, like Lewis's, is what matters now. He is the identity of their defense.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I've thought of moving JL to the outside. He's better at pass coverage. When he goes for a tackle on a RB he usually gets dragged a yard or three, and that's assuming he gets off his block.
Yeah he's a tough dude but I'd just think if we had someone a little biy more physical and intimidating the move could make two positions better

had

Rookie
I'm going to agree with 24/7 and others and say Kuechly is top 3. I like your list so I'd suggest JL's 5th best.

He's got to get off tackles better, IMO. But he's a dependable SOB that's a serious bonus.

I'm guessing you've seen him get washed out by OL at the 2nd level a lot this year, and maybe I've missed it and he has, but with those tackle counts, it would seem that it can't be happening that often. Unless a lot of the tackles are coming in the flat on short pass plays, and/or maybe if the Rams have faced a greater number of run plays than the norm. Maybe you're right.

I agree with thor in that I covet a more physical MLB who arrives at the tackle with more oomph, more physical violence. But that's not JL.

Here's hoping he can get a winning season before his career ends. Wow.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah he's a tough dude but I'd just think if we had someone a little biy more physical and intimidating the move could make two positions better

Might be but I think our LBs are going to need to be cover first kind of guys with the teams strength in our division. I think Tree is going to be that cover guy who will hurt you. I may be optimistic but I think Ray Ray is going to be better than Dunbar next season. And, I'm going to guess he puts on a few pounds and ends up bigger than Dunbar. He's taller so another 10 pounds and he is just a bigger version and I think has a better motor with the same killer attitude. Watch out for R.R.Ram.