JaMarcus Russell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
<a class="postlink" href="http://lastangryfan.com/2013/01/jamarcus-russell-weighs-308-pounds-and-is-trying-to-make-an-nfl-comeback-thats-not-a-joke/?utm_source=scribol.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=scribol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://lastangryfan.com/2013/01/jamarcu ... cribol.com</a>

I was not able to copy the picture, but follow the link and look at it. Good grief...........
Rambitious1

JaMarcus Russell weighs 308 pounds and is trying to make an NFL comeback. That’s not a joke…

Hoo boy, you knew it would happen one day, but despite all the preparation, both mentally and emotionally, it still hits you like a ton of bricks. Speaking of a ton of bricks, JaMarcus Russell—perhaps the greatest NFL draft bust ever—wants to make a comeback. The former Oakland Raiders quarterback expressed his desire to return to the game of football in a recent interview, and from the sounds of it, Russell will have a looooong road back.

Why you ask? Because the former No.1 overall pick in the 2007 draft weighs a whopping 308 lbs, or roughly the weight of one of Honey Boo Boo’s Mama’s chins. Don’t laugh, that’s actually better than the 320 lbs he maxed out at this past fall.

Said Russell (via Shutdown Corner)…

“My first year out, I couldn’t watch football but after a while, I couldn’t keep the TV off. I got that itchy feeling but now I gotta watch it, gotta watch,” Russell said.

“The last few years, the things going through my life, football is my job and it is how it feeds my family. People would say [that] I didn’t love the game but that pisses me off. People don’t know the real you but I want people to know the real me and see what I can do. People are always saying that I’m a bust. I want show them I’m not. I’m committed to this now.”

Sounds like a man who has matured the past few years since being out of football (Russell was released following the 2009-10 season after compiling 4,083 yards, 18 TDs, 23 INTs, and a 65.2 passer rating in three seasons in Oakland), the type of maturity that would have served the 27-year-old well when he first was drafted out of LSU. While it’s easy to laugh and poke fun at Russell and his spectacular flameout in the NFL, and his current status as a hefty gentleman, here’s hoping that there is something to his reclamation project, provided he’s serious about doing everything he can to make it back to the NFL.

If JaMarcus Russell could make it all the way back to the gridiron after hitting rock bottom as hard as he did, what a story for the ages that would be.

Jeff Greenwell is the writer/editor of Last Angry Fan. Jeff has been known to rock a Speedo while belting out Robert Goulet tunes from his front porch, and in his spare time he enjoys capturing and training feral goats to be his minions. Also known to dig a nice brick of cheese from time to time.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't really care either way, but if he came back and succeeded it would at least make a pretty cool story.

I don't really think it happens though, too many young talented guys coming into the league now.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, it would make for a good story.

Such a shame and waste of talent and an opportunity.

Too bad.....

This image was posted on a Yahoo Sports Shutdown Corner article on June 20.

<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/jamarcus-russell-looks-thin-now-no-really-true-184002089.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 02089.html</a>

Dude is slimming down. If he made a comeback, good for him. I'm just not sure any NFL team would want to take a chance on him right away.

jamarcusrussell062013resize.jpg

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
That's a photo shop in the first article, and a bad one at that

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I heard he tried out with the Bears but didn't hear how it went.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
TheRyanExpress said:
Dude is slimming down. If he made a comeback, good for him. I'm just not sure any NFL team would want to take a chance on him right away.

I'm sure the Raiders would take a chance on him, they take anybody.......oh wait...nvm.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Bad photoshopping and why Myley Cyrus?

And no, I don't want this guy back in the NFL. He had his shot, blew it, and got what like $60 mil? Fans and media love to rag on someone like Blaine Gabbert; an all around good guy that happens to struggle as it's to be expected for a young guy; but a guy like JaMarcus Russel would be a good comeback story? Please. Too many other good hardworking guys trying to make it.

BUT I will say I want JaMarcus to be a productive member of society and get away from all that "purple drank" bullshit. That picture is the first I've seen him smile so maybe he's on that track. He actually looks like Michael Jordan in that picture.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He's got the physical talent if his weight is in check. The problem with Russell and many other 1st round QB's before him is between the ears.

I'm not saying he's not smart... it has nothing to do with smarts... but more so quick-decision-making. Some guys have it. Most don't.

fearsomefour

Legend
Bottom line is in a country of 400 million people NFL GMs, scouts and coaches who are paid to find talent cannot find 32 guys to do this job at a top level. He has enough physical talent that if he is in shape and can convince people his head is straight someone will give him a minimum deal. I am sure at some point this offseason or early in the year Matt Leinart will sign somewhere and he doesnt have half the natural talent of Russell.