Jalen Ramsey on his defensive role: 'Nobody's done what I'll be asked to do'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Jalen Ramsey on his defensive role: 'Nobody's done what I'll be asked to do'

Jalen Ramsey is listed as a cornerback, and he’s one of the NFL’s best at his position. However, it sounds like he’ll be viewed as much more than just a cornerback in 2020 – his first full season with the Rams.

He and defensive coordinator Brandon Staley have hinted at a brand new role for the three-time Pro Bowler, and this week, Ramsey shared further details about what position he’ll play.

“I don’t really have like an exact, exact role on the defense yet,” he said on a conference call Tuesday. “I’ll be doing a bunch of different things so there’s not really somebody that I can talk to that’s like, ‘Oh, you did this and this and this…’ because nobody’s done what I’ll be asked to do or what I’m going to try to do on this defense. I might have to take this journey kind of by myself and with my teammates and with the coaches and see where we can take it.”

Ramsey is a prototypical cornerback in the fact that he has a rare combination of size and speed for the position. He’s one of the most athletic corners in the league, and thanks to his time in college, he also has experience at safety.

Staley mentioned Ramsey’s ability to play safety earlier this offseason, so he could see time there in certain sub-packages. When shadowing receivers in the past, Ramsey has also covered the slot and had some success there.

He was asked if it’ll be a challenge moving around and playing different roles, and he wasn’t afraid to admit it’ll be tough.

“For sure, yeah. For sure,” he said.

Even Les Snead hinted at Staley using Ramsey in a variety of ways.

“I think with Jalen, he’s a young player, a difference-maker out on the edge. Even working with Brandon based on being around Jalen, I think Brandon’s mentioned it, with his football acumen,” Snead said. “There’s a vision and goal to use to him in a way that’s never been used before, to be a weapon on defense.”

It’s hard not to get excited about Ramsey’s potential in the Rams defense, especially entering a new scheme under Staley. And with this being the final year of his contract, Ramsey has every reason to be motivated if he doesn’t get a deal before Week 1.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
This team, on both sides of the ball, set out this offseason to be multiple.

Wade is a very good defensive coach but his defense is what it is. This year we are going to see a team that attacks by being multiple.

We have a lot of guys that can do a multitude of things. Defensively we'll be seeing Donald, Floyd, and Ramsey be used in such ways.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I would not be surprised to see Ramsey line up everywhere, even as a dime linebacker spy against fronts like Arizona. He did that at Florida State, if I recall correctly.

oldnotdead

Legend
This is why I've been saying Jalen can be to the secondary what Donald is to the front 7. Donald changes how the Rams can play the front 7 and Ramsey can change how the secondary can be played. Burgess is another player with tremendous versatility as he too can play all the positions in the secondary. Rapp can play both safety positions giving Staley even more options.

IMO the Rams might have the best dime package in the NFL. BCB Ramsey and Long, S Rapp and Johnson, NCB Williams and DCB Burgess, D-line Floyd, Donald, Robinson, and Lewis with Ebukam patrolling the middle. The Rams may have one of the best 4 man pass rushers in the NFL and with Ebukam closing off the middle, they won't run very far up the middle if its a draw. Ebukam's speed allows him to play sideline to sideline.

I'm telling you guys the talent on this defense if used properly is downright scary. There are no holes.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I would not be surprised to see Ramsey line up everywhere, even as a dime linebacker spy against fronts like Arizona. He did that at Florida State, if I recall correctly.

Im guessing he may be preoccupied with hopkins

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Im guessing he may be preoccupied with hopkins

True. Forgot about Hopkins for a bit.

Arizona's really improved their roster. Would not be surprised to see them oust the Hags for third place and a potential playoff spot. They drafted well, in my honest opinion (Isaiah Simmons is a Swiss-Army-knife of a defensive player, and they got Leki Fotu, whom I really wanted.)

Ram65

Legend
Staley's defense is about confusion. So far I'm confused. If Ramsey is the best cover corner why would he play safety? Can't wait to see exactly what Staley's defense will do to confuse the offenses.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think it's cool that they will put him where they need to in order to take away top threats. That said, if he ends up playing a ton of slot that would be a bad look for him.

True CB1s are hard to come by. That is what you get PAID for in this league. SS, FS, CB2, and SCB are not rare and all are relatively easy to find which translates into positional salary.

Not saying he isn't a CB1, in the event anyone reads it that way. But irt him moving around a lot of what we are hearing is silly season IMO. He will be on the top threat. And if not the Rams will need to consider whether they should pay him.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I think it's cool that they will put him where they need to in order to take away top threats. That said, if he ends up playing a ton of slot that would be a bad look for him.

True CB1s are hard to come by. That is what you get PAID for in this league. SS, FS, CB2, and SCB are not rare and all are relatively easy to find which translates into positional salary.

Not saying he isn't a CB1, in the event anyone reads it that way. But irt him moving around a lot of what we are hearing is silly season IMO. He will be on the top threat. And if not the Rams will need to consider whether they should pay him.
I agree, if it ain't broke DON'T FIX IT.

MachS

Hall of Fame

I dont think he'll be playing a lot of slot. My guess is Turrell Burgess should man that spot majority of the time, but instead of Ramsey only being on the outside exclusively he might be moving around more. Part of this too is him posturing due to the contract negotiations. I've read around here a bit that he might be playing in the slot more..and yea maybe more than usual but he's an outside CB and I dont see that changing.

Remember at FSU he played safety and CB in a hybrid type roll at times, so he definitely has flexibility to move around. My guess if anything is we use Rapp more in the box and Ramsey actually slides back to safety with JJ in certain packages, with Long or Williams filling in at CB. That to me seems a lot more likely than him playing in the slot, but who knows he can do it all.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If they don't have him manned up every down against the best WR on the other team, then they are wasting his talent.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This is great coach speak.

Make the opponent have to prepare for everything because they don't know exactly what to prepare for.

Say a lot of words... but don't really provide any solid information.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
True. Forgot about Hopkins for a bit.

Arizona's really improved their roster. Would not be surprised to see them oust the Hags for third place and a potential playoff spot. They drafted well, in my honest opinion (Isaiah Simmons is a Swiss-Army-knife of a defensive player, and they got Leki Fotu, whom I really wanted.)

The draft is nice. That is where you build a team for the future. But it doesn't happen very often where a rookie class comes in and propels a team to great things. Rookies need time. If Arizona is gonna be a much improved team it will be the veterans who lead them.

They are the new darlings of the NFL. Like the Browns were the past couple seasons. But as I did with the Browns, I'll believe it when I see it. I still look at them as a team trying stay out of 4th place in the toughest division. Should be better but I'll be surprised if they win more than 8 games.