Jalen Ramsey: "I feel like I probably had my best year in my NFL career thus far"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Jalen Ramsey: "I feel like I probably had my best year in my NFL career thus far"

Rams cornerback Jalen Ramsey felt proud of what he accomplished during the 2020 season.

A divisional round playoff loss to the Packers in Green Bay obviously wasn't the result he or the team wanted, he emphasized, but it didn't take away from the fact that he felt he put together his best season as a pro.

"The year didn't end how we wanted it to as a team, but there are some positives to take away from it," Ramsey said during an end-of-season video conference on Sunday. "Personally, for me, I feel like I had probably my best year in my NFL career thus far. I feel like I put out the best body of work out that I've ever put out."

While no one knows Ramsey and his game better than himself, of course, end-of-season awards and accolades from external evaluators certainly reinforced his case.

He was named to his fourth Pro Bowl, second All-Pro First Team by The Associated Press, and second All-NFL and All-conference teams by the Professional Football Writers of America after a season in which Pro Football Focus (PFF) says he allowed the fewest receiving yards (309) in coverage among 33 cornerbacks with 500 or more coverage snaps in the regular season. Furthermore, per PFF, only one receiver guarded by Ramsey surpassed 50 receiving yards in a single game – the Cowboys' Amari Cooper, who had 57 on seven receptions in Week 1.

Per NFL Research and PFF compiled prior to the divisional round, here's what happened after Week 1:

Week 3 vs. Bills, Stefon Diggs: 1 reception, 4 yards, 1 touchdown
Week 5 vs. Washington, Terry McLaurin: 0 receptions
Week 7 vs. Bears, Allen Robinson: 1 reception, 42 yards
Week 10 vs. Seahawks, DK Metcalf: 0 receptions
Week 11 vs. Buccaneers, Mike Evans: 4 receptions, 40 yards
Week 13 vs. Cardinals, DeAndre Hopkins: 3 receptions, 20 yards
Week 16 vs. Seahawks, Metcalf: 1 reception, 11 yards
Week 17 vs. Cardinals, Hopkins: 2 receptions, 28 yards
Wild Card round of playoffs vs. Seahawks, Metcalf: 3 receptions, 33 yards

Diggs was a fellow First Team All-Pro and All-NFL selection for this season, Hopkins and Metcalf Second Team All-Pro selections. Diggs was also named to the All-NFL team, Hopkins the All-NFC team. The trio of Diggs, Hopkins and Metcalf were also named to this year's Pro Bowl.

Ramsey said it's a credit to the work done by cornerbacks coach Aubrey Pleasant.

"I think I've said this before in one of these media sessions, I've taken my game to another level, and in my opinion, this is the best body of work that I've put out in the NFL, a lot of that is thanks to him," Ramsey said.

And he did all of this while lining up in the secondary at cornerback and the "star" hybrid defensive back position in former defensive coordinator Brandon Staley's scheme.

"He's a very complete player – size, speed are critical factors for the position," Staley said on Jan. 5. "He's an outstanding open field tackler. He can play man-to-man, from bump-and-off. He can play the ball in the deep part of the field. He's got position flexibility. He's got a mind that allows him to play different positions and play them at a high level. He's as fierce of a competitor as you're going to find."

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Jalen played the best I believe I've ever seen a rams CB play in my lifetime. He is on another level. They can talk about Gilmore and White all they want. They ain't shit compared to 20.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wasn't sure if Ramsey was worth that big contract... until this year. What he did to Metcalf and Hopkins, and everyone else for that matter, was unbelievable. That said... did anyone notice how angry he got when Devonte Adams scored that 1 yard touchdown? I did not think that was fair for Ramsey to yell at the other Ram (I forgot who was between them) when Ramsey gave Adams plenty of room to catch and score a TD. Your thoughts, please.

John R

Rookie
Name
John R
That was just a really well designed play, there was no way for Ramsey to cut through all his linebackers and stick with Adams. The only possible defense for this was if the other defender recognized what was happening and pulled off to cover Adams. Ramsey recognized this in real time, the other guy didn’t. I think he was more frustrated than anything.

TexasRam

Legend
I wasn't sure if Ramsey was worth that big contract... until this year. What he did to Metcalf and Hopkins, and everyone else for that matter, was unbelievable. That said... did anyone notice how angry he got when Devonte Adams scored that 1 yard touchdown? I did not think that was fair for Ramsey to yell at the other Ram (I forgot who was between them) when Ramsey gave Adams plenty of room to catch and score a TD. Your thoughts, please.
I believe it was Nick Scott and either he didn’t switch or move out of Ramsey’s way. Could have been Ramsey though. Either way perfect execution by the offense.

Hes such a competitor and that was maybe one of the most critical plays in his Career if we stop them there so I can understand the passion. Ideally you control your emotion in the future and work out the breakdown calmly. But he’s still young and growing.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My brothers a dolphin fan and we constantly argue about who is better Howard or ramsey .. he said Howard got 10 picks this year ... I said only because NO ONE throws the ball any where near the player that ramsey is covering he is the true definition of a shut down corner

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I don't think he gave him too much space. They motioned Adams twice, from one far side of the field to the other and back. Ramsey was running around LBs, DBs, the refs, trying to stay with him.

I think it's perfectly fine to yell at Nick Scott for not recognizing the switch. It's a playoff game, you have to pay attention to what's going on around you.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Nick Scott was up on the LOS. Instead of going with the TE who dips inside, had he handed him off and went with Adams, that changes everything.

I'm pretty sure Ramsey was upset that Scott didn't switch. Those switch responsibilities change given different downs and distances...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I have noticed Ramsey seems like a positive voice for the Rams on social media. Seems like he’s trying to be a leader that way off the field.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Clamps!! Best Rams DB I have seen in 40+ years of Fandom.... And we've had some good ones.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Jalen played the best I believe I've ever seen a rams CB play in my lifetime. He is on another level. They can talk about Gilmore and White all they want. They ain't shit compared to 20.

*Ty Hill enters chat*

Blue font is assumed