Jake Matthews vs Greg Robinson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
If you were going to pick an Offensive Lineman with the Rams #2 pick (Right now I would still personally prefer Clowney or Watkins) would you select Jake Matthews (Probably the safer pick) or Greg Robinson (Probably more upside)? Both seem to be great players who will probably end up having excellent NFL careers! If I had to choose I would probably pick Robinson (He looked liked a monster the few times I have seen him play!).

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Matthews, I have just one worry about, and it's not an entirely rational one.

If we pick Matthews and he busts, people are going to say we picked him because Fisher likes his dad.

RamsFan14

Starter
How long has Greg Robinson been playing football? I think arm length and experience will be big factors in determining which one gets picked. Thought I heard Greg Robinson was a TE at one point (reminds me of Jason Smith), but honestly I haven't kept up with too many prospects so idk much.

But we should all be aware that Fisher doesn't pick OL in the first round of drafts. Snisher believes they can use those first rounders on other areas and that they can develop offensive lineman picked in the later part of the draft. Anything can happen though... But this scenario happening seems unlikely.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Matthews if we have to draft in the top 5.
Robinson in the top 15.
Basically.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Right now Matthews is more NFL ready and his technique is better. But there is no denying Robinson's upside.
Also depends on where you want to play them. I think you could put Robinson inside with his mass to start. Jake may be more RT/LT only.
But I don't know. I'd probably go Matthews but it's really close.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Considering we are more inclined to run than pass with our offense, I would probably take Robinson. He is the more dominating of the two in that aspect. They both have a good chance to pan out well no matter who we go with.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I liike both and don't want to take either. Mathews with a gun to my head but would rather wait and try and land Martin with a trade down into the teens.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I think I would take Mathews.
More pro ready, less likelihood of bust.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still favor Matthews but it's hard to resist that power of Robinson.

Depends what you want, Matthews if you want the more pro ready OT, Robinson if you want a long term successor to Long and short term OG.

Personally I like them both but would take Robinson as a healthy Long is our starting LT regardless of who we take and Robinson is the superior OG.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Matthews is the best pass blocker. As enticing as Robinson is for upside, I stick with the best guy to buy time for Sam to throw. Sam is not the greatest when it comes to feeling the rush, so you have to protect that blindside.

If you pick Robinson at two and the pass blocking doesn't come around, then it is a bust and he is a #2 picked Guard or ORT.

What does Fisher do? I think he goes with Matthews and his familiarity would be a tie breaker if it was a tie. But I bet he would love the devastating run blocking of Robinson.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Coin toss the advantages of each. Rams could start both of them day one! But if I had to select it would be JM.

JM gives the Rams the ready of the shelf insertion @ Right OT once Barksdale is gone @ the end of this season. GR has never played ORT.
JM could enter Training Camp & Pre Season to fill the LEFT OT & even start until Jake Long is fully healthy. GR would have not be anywhere close to ready in this area.
JM could play & start @ any of the five OL positions just like his father from day one. GR could not.
JM could instantly fill the all important swing OT position that departed UFA's Saffold & Williams performed.
JM is much more well rounded & versatile than GR.

The 6-5 320 GR would be an instant plug in @ OLG & would help Fisher replace the 6-5 326 pound Rodger Saffold where the JM @ 6-5 305 does not show that kind of great power in this run blocking skill level.
GR can fill the current OLG vacancy.
GR could be every bit as good @ current OLT Jake Long as a run blocking OLT.

I would be happy with one of them don't really care which. I would be planing to trade down from #2 just far enough to snag whichever OT drops to us and then utilize the couple of draft selections gained from the trade down to get Sam Bradford another starter in that OL.

Example was if we trade down and the Rams select JM then I would be looking for a run blocking OLG like Zack Martin/David Yankey/Brandon Thomas. If GR was selected I would be looking for a ORT/ORG prospect in the 3rd round i.e. Billy Turner/Jack Mewhort/Joel Bitonio/Jawuan James .