Jake Long rusty in return/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jake Long rusty in return
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/10842/jake-long-rusty-in-return

CLEVELAND -- St. Louis Rams left tackle Jake Long played in his first game on Saturday since having January knee surgery to repair a torn ACL and MCL. Eager to knock off the rust, Long played more than he was originally scheduled to after a little bit of lobbying.

Judging by how Long's time in the game went, he's going to need some more work in the preseason finale against Miami on Thursday to be closer to regular-season ready.

"We’ve got starters [who] need to play a little bit more," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "Jake played more plays than we expected because he wanted to play more plays than expected."

Before Saturday night, Long hadn't played since the third offensive play of the team's penultimate game on Dec. 22, 2013 against Tampa Bay. Long tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee early in that game and had the necessary surgeries in January.

All along, the Rams maintained that Long could be back in time to play in the regular-season opener Sept. 7 against Minnesota and return to exhibition games about halfway through the preseason. That seemed a bit optimistic at the time, but Long has been practicing on a full-time basis for the better part of the past two-plus weeks.

The Rams held Long out of the second preseason game, but he got the start against the Cleveland Browns. As you'd might expect, Long's return was noticeably shaky, especially on the opening series.

"The game speed picks up so there’s definitely some rust and some bad plays I had," Long said. "It was good that I can get that out in the preseason and get some plays in before the start of the season."

On the team's first drive, Long picked up penalties for illegal hands to the face and a false start, costing the Rams 15 yards. Beyond that, Long was in the midst of what appeared to be a miscommunication that led to linebacker Barkevious Mingo blowing past him and creating the pressure that eventually resulted in linebacker Paul Kruger hitting quarterback Sam Bradford on his left knee.

Bradford bounced back up after that hit, but he didn't five plays and two penalties later when Cleveland end Armonty Bryant again beat Long to get to Bradford. Bryant landed awkwardly on Bradford's own surgically repaired knee and exited the game with an injury that is to be determined by further tests today.

"It’s horrible whenever guys go down, especially Sam, he’s been working so hard, but we’re hoping for the best and we’ll see what happens," Long said.

Long played 27 snaps on the evening, which amounted to two full series as the Rams controlled the ball and clock for most of the first half. He said he felt better as the game went along.

"I was going to play as long as they kept me in there," Long said. "I was feeling good, and I was moving around well and was really happy with it so I wanted to get out there, get the game speed and knock the rust off."

jap

Legend
Shouldn't of been out there imo, especially if it costs Sam playing time.

This is exactly the time to knock off the rust. We don't need him trying to find out where he is in a regular season game.

Depending on how quickly Gregzilla progresses, he may swap places with Big Jake before the season is out, to make up for Jake's declining athleticism. Perhaps Jake could move to RT as Bonifay suggested much earlier.

61Woody

UDFA
Name
Jeff
In hindsight it may have been better to play Long later in the game against the 2nd or 3rd stringers to knock off the rust per say.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Shouldn't of been out there imo, especially if it costs Sam playing time.

In hindsight it might have been better to let him run with the 2s last night. But I know they want start getting some cohesiveness on the line by getting the first unit reps.

Philly5

Rookie
I was surprised at all the mental mistakes by Long. Our OL has got to be the top concern heading into the season.

RamsFan14

Starter
I was surprised at all the mental mistakes by Long. Our OL has got to be the top concern heading into the season.

Yea man, I haven't been impressed with the offensive line this preseason, I figured this would be one of our strengths on the team... I know it's early and it's tough to play when all the starters can't seem to get on the field, but still... I would have expected a lil better.

jap

Legend

That's one of the biggest reasons for pre-season---allowing the returning veterans, especially those returning from injury like Big Bad Jake, to get their timing down and re-establishing that rhythm & groove. Another big reason is introducing rookies to the NFL's enhanced speed, quickness, strength, and savvy, although the pre-season games admittedly simply don't match the regular season games for pure intensity.

Jake already indicated he wanted work in at least two pre-season games before the regular season commences.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I have to give a nod to Kruger.
Had he not let go of Sam when he did, this could have been much worse. With Sams leg extended, it would have been an awkward take down. It didn't look like Sam wanted to move his leg at all.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I said this a few months ago. Long looked like total crap in Game 3. No excuses. The Rams need to seriously draft OL next year and do a better job of evaluating OL players. Bring in the best OL evaluators in FB next year and get the job done right and now.

fancents86

Starter
Long should have Deff been playing with the 2nd unit. You don't put a guy on the field that is coming off a long hiatus from playing to protect your qb who also is recovering from a serious injury. What happened last night proves it.

RamWoodie

Legend
Long should have Deff been playing with the 2nd unit. You don't put a guy on the field that is coming off a long hiatus from playing to protect your qb who also is recovering from a serious injury. What happened last night proves it.
Really??? IT PROVES ZILCH.GARBONZA BEANS!

This is when you put the guy out there! So he gains confidence in the knee holding up leading to regular season when it ALL COUNTS.

Who knows the doubt's and fears in a players mind until they're assured through playing that they're really ok???

All last night proves is what Fisher said..."We’ve got starters [who] need to play a little bit more," . It's not like the Rams don't have players that can shore things up *if* Long isn't ready.