Jake Long out for the season...again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/11/vikings-to-sign-jake-long/

Vikings to sign Jake Long
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 11, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwq1zji4mgixmguwotu3zthlndi2nzjhnzqzmdkxntgy-e1438198669202.jpeg
AP

The Vikings are bringing in some veteran help on their offensive line.

Minnesota is expected to sign offensive tackle Jake Long today, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

The Vikings needed some help on the line after putting their starting right tackle,Andre Smith, on injured reserve yesterday. The Vikings previously placed their starting left tackle, Matt Kalil, on injured reserve as well.

Long was the first overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft. He played five years for the Dolphins and then two for the Rams before signing in Atlanta last year, where he played in only four games, with no starts. It’s unclear how much Long has left, but the Vikings think he can help, and with the injuries they’ve suffered, they need help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Long#St._Louis_Rams

During the 2013 NFL offseason, Long became a free agent. He received two contract offers: an extension from the Miami Dolphins, and a contract from the Rams. On March 17, 2013, Long signed a four-year, $36 million contract with the Rams.

At the October 6, 2013, contest against the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Rams gave the first 15,000 fans to arrive at the game free Jake Long figurines. On October 26, 2014, Long sustained another torn ACL against the Kansas City Chiefs and he missed the rest of the season.

He was released along with Scott Wells on the eve of free agency on March 9, 2015. Long was coming off of back-to-back seasons with torn ACLs and was about to cost the Rams $10 million against the salary cap.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I forgot about that failure at left tackle . Add him to Barron , Smith , and # 73 . I know I'm beating a dead horse , but how long does it take to find a solid left tackle .

Psycho_X

Legend
Damn, didn't know Minnesota lost their starting RT now too. Wonder how many more injuries like that they can take before losing their Super Bowl chances. Jake Long probably won't be bad for them if he can stay healthy. But even with their injuries they continue to win.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
....in related news, the Chicago Cubs have offered to have fan Steve Bartman throw out the first pitch in their next game at Wrigley. "And we want him to sit down the left field line again. Just like before." A club spokesman said. "No hard feelings! I mean, what could go wrong? Right?"

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
That combo is a recipe for disaster.

Good for the viqueens!

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I forgot about that failure at left tackle . Add him to Barron , Smith , and # 73 . I know I'm beating a dead horse , but how long does it take to find a solid left tackle .
I think the difference was jake was a solid LT in his years at Miami ... Injuries just caught up with he doesn't smith and Barron were never good LT ... Ever

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I know it has nothing to do with this, but I still wish we took Jake Matthews. Dude is a beast in Atlanta.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Like Sam Bradford, Jake Long had a history of injuries even before he was drafted. Lung problems, shoulder surgery, ankle surgery, foot injuries. The he suffered a torn right biceps while with the Dolphins. So the Rams pony up big bucks to sign him in the hopes that his injuries were behind him. That of course didn't work out. If he makes it all the way through this season with the Vikings without an injury, it would be surprising.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I know it has nothing to do with this, but I still wish we took Jake Matthews. Dude is a beast in Atlanta.
Totally agree. I still remember yelling at the tv when we took Robinson over Matthews. Dumb dumb dumb.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Sam better hope Long doesnt have to start. Wasnt Long Sams LT when he sustained both of his ACL tears?

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Good luck to Jake! One of my saddest days as a Ram fan was being there when he came out of the locker room and told his parents his ACL was torn again. Don't think he gets enough credit for playing through some of the pain he was in while with the Rams. Hope he and Sam can stay healthy. (y)

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
That's a sad looking list when as a Ram Barron was the best.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
If Bradford gets injured again when Long is on lineup, he'll never want to play with him ever again.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I wonder how Sam feels about this???

"Sam, you're having an MVP year. Congratulations on another win. You're such a kidder! Wearing that old Eagles jersey and throwing that Philly backdrop in front of the podium!"

sam I.gif

"Sam, I understand you lost another offensive tackle today. What do you suppose the Vikes are going to do to prepare to protect you next week?

Sammy-itch.gif

"Sam....Sam! How long are you going to contemplate the question? You've grown a beard while we wait. I'VE grown a beard while we wait....WHO.....is going to protect your blind side?.....Sam, breaking news. The Vikings just signed Jake Long to protect your blind side! Sam, are you excited? Sam?

View attachment 17052 Sam. You shaved. What are you thinking about Sam?

Sam III.gif

Sam ACL.jpg

…..

Legend
I thought Long graded out very well when he did managed to play for us.

I think its a good signing for them, and Long is a good guy. They probably got a nice discount at this stage...so I Wish them luck, but not too much.