Jake Long and Scott Wells released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
tumblr_m8lmpoFJrN1rob81ao3_250.gif

hahahhaalhahahah
haven't laughed that hard in ages, just coughed up the streptococcus i've been harboring in my lungs since second grade

i'm so happy right now

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just now saw this on NFLN, a few minutes ago, They showed Long was Cut, But NO mention of Wells!!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
The first step on the way to recovery is to admit that you have a problem!

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Wow, that should make most Rams fans happy!!

I'm guessing one of two things happened with J Long. Doctors told him his knee was not going to stable enough or he wouldn't entertain a thought of a reduced wage package.
Thinking that if he retires, it's because his wife from FL wants to move back home.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Now if only we can hire a hitman to torture Bradford's agent, GTA V style, into letting him restructure a team-friendly contract

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Had to be done. Now please don't over pay for Wiz, he's very overrated.

Just sign Blalock and Barks, and go draft Erving. Problem solved.

Maybe trade our first to Philly for Foles and 20? Then take Erving? Anyone?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Sign Wisniewski. Bring back Long on an incentive-ridden deal. Sign Blalock. Re-up Barksdale for 3-4 years. Draft a big mamma-jamma in the 2nd or 3rd.

Aaaaaaaaand I'm spent.

RamBill

Legend
Releasing Long, Wells makes Rams' OL needs clear
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/16841/releasing-long-wells-makes-rams-ol-needs-clear

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams made a pair of unsurprising moves Monday when they released offensive tackle Jake Long and center Scott Wells.

The fact that the cuts save the Rams about $12 million in salary-cap space offered reason enough to make the moves, but that Long and Wells had not been able to stay healthy enough to perform up to the lofty contracts the Rams once gave them in free agency should leave no doubt.

There's no need to go deep diving into the perils of signing big-ticket free agents. It's been pretty clear that the team that spends the most is rarely the one that wins the most.

The Rams signed Wells and Long at a time when they were attempting to rebuild a barren roster. Neither signing worked out and should serve as an obvious warning sign as to why the Rams have not actively pursued bidding wars for high-priced free agents like center Rodney Hudson and guard Orlando Franklin.

What's more concerning for the Rams is that by parting ways with Long and Wells they are continuing a seemingly endless cycle of searching for answers on the offensive line. It's been a process that's ongoing with little in the way of stability. Long and Wells join the likes of Jacob Bell and Jason Brown as high-priced free-agent offensive linemen that didn't work out despite many dollars going their way.

In a combined five seasons with the team, Wells and Long played 57 games with the Rams shelling out nearly $37 million in exchange. Now, the Rams find themselves with the cap space to make a move or two on the offensive line but face the same situation repeating itself.

With Long and Wells gone and guard Davin Joseph and right tackle Joe Barksdale headed for unrestricted free agency, the Rams have three openings for starters along the offensive line. On the eve of free agency, only left tackle Greg Robinson and guard Rodger Saffold can safely be penciled into the starting lineup.

Finding three starters from outside the building in one offseason figures to be an arduous task, especially considering the Rams don't have as much cap space as others and currently have just five picks in the NFL draft.

At least at center the Rams do have some in-house options, though they are wholly unproven. The team did not tender restricted free agent Tim Barnes, though he could come back at a lesser rate later. They also have 2013 fourth-round draft pick Barrett Jones and 2014 seventh-round selection Demetrius Rhaney.

Jones has been an enigma who has dealt with multiple injury issues since arriving in St. Louis, appearing mostly on special teams in 10 games over two seasons. Rhaney spent last season on injured reserve with a knee injury but Rams coach Jeff Fisher has spoken highly of his potential.

As for outside options, free agency doesn't figure to offer many. Oakland's Stefen Wisniewski looks like a possible fit though as of Sunday the Rams had not expressed interest in him. That doesn't mean they won't or haven't in the time since, especially with the job now open.

The situation at tackle and the other guard spot doesn't offer even as much as Jones and Rhaney at center in terms of possible replacements. Short of a major surprise before Tuesday, Robinson will be the only true tackle on the roster, though the Rams did tender exclusive rights free agent Brandon Washington, who is believed to be a better fit at guard.

To this point, the Rams have not been linked to any free-agent alternatives and though they would like to bring Barksdale back, it seems his market could go beyond what the Rams are willing to spend. The Rams could theoretically move Saffold outside to tackle but they believe he's better at guard and that would only create another opening on the interior.

Barring an outside addition, tackle would then have to be considered the team's top need entering the NFL draft.

With the expected return of Sam Bradford at quarterback, the thought of so much uncertainty on the offensive line can't be a pleasant one for the Rams or their fans.

To get it fixed, they'll have to hit some home runs either acquiring talent, developing it or some combination of the two. For the better part of the past decade, that's apparently been too much to ask, which is why the Rams once again find themselves looking for help.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
First, kudos to Demoff for structuring the Wells and Long contracts in such a way as to make these cuts possible. He's worth his weight in gold to this organization.

Second, I don't think it's likely to change our pick at #10 strategy one bit. These moves were anticipated by virtually all who follow the Rams. So Cooper or White might very well still be the pick if they even fall.

Third, there is certain to be at least one FA addition at either C or OG. Maybe not a first day splash signing, but a signing nonetheless.

Fourth, I hope Barks stays. But if not, I guarantee you there will be a football player at ROT on opening day. Could be a second tier FA, could be a fairly high draft pick. Might even be one of our current reserves.

I am SO happy that they FINALLY made these obvious moves. Pead and Givens won't be sleeping well for a time, either. Lol.

RamBill

Legend
Rams release Jake Long, Scott Wells
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_5f9d3e00-7a88-5ff1-b9cd-3122c416e62b.html

On the eve of the official beginning of the free agency period, the Rams cut ties with two-fifths of their starting offensive line from last season, releasing offensive tackle Jake Long and center Scott Wells.

The move frees up $12.5 million in salary cap, meaning the Rams enter the free agency period with about $16 million in cap space — sufficient room to do some maneuvering on the market.

"Jake and Scott brought experience and professionalism to our program and we appreciate that commitment and hard work," coach Jeff Fisher said. "Both of them overcame injury difficulties and provided leadership for our younger players. We look forward to seeing what the future holds for both of them."

A pair of looming deadlines made cutting both offensive linemen all but a foregone conclusion this week.

Long, a four-time Pro Bowler, was due a base salary of $9.25 million with $4 million of it guaranteed if he was on the roster the fifth day of the league year — March 14.

In the case of Wells, he was due a $1 million roster bonus on the third day of the league year, or March 12.

The league year, the first day contracts with unrestricted free agents and trades can be finalized, begins Tuesday at 3 p.m.

Releasing Long, who would've counted $10.5 million against the cap this season, saves the team $8 million.

Releasing Wells, who would've counted $5.5 million against the cap this season, saves the team $4.5 million.

Long spent two seasons with the Rams, but suffered knee injuries at the end of the 2013 season (in Game 15 against Tampa), and in the middle of last season (Game 7 at Kansas City) that required surgery.

All told Long, 29, appeared in only 22 of a possible 32 games with the Rams. At the end of the 2014, Fisher said plans were to have Greg Robinson as his starting left tackle in 2015. That meant Long would've been asked to shift to right tackle or even guard had he stayed.

Wells, 34, played in all 16 games last season, playing the final nine games with an elbow brace on his right (or snapping) arm. But he missed 13 games in the previous two seasons — 2012 and 2013 — with a variety of injuries.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
First, kudos to Demoff for structuring the Wells and Long contracts in such a way as to make these cuts possible. He's worth his weight in gold to this organization.

Second, I don't think it's likely to change our pick at #10 strategy one bit. These moves were anticipated by virtually all who follow the Rams. So Cooper or White might very well still be the pick if they even fall.

Third, there is certain to be at least one FA addition at either C or OG. Maybe not a first day splash signing, but a signing nonetheless.

Fourth, I hope Barks stays. But if not, I guarantee you there will be a football player at ROT on opening day. Could be a second tier FA, could be a fairly high draft pick. Might even be one of our current reserves.

I am SO happy that they FINALLY made these obvious moves. Pead and Givens won't be sleeping well for a time, either. Lol.
I don't think it changes strategy for the Rams, but I do think you will see a shift in the mock drafts from here on out.

RamBill

Legend
Rams cut Jake Long, Scott Wells
Updated: March 9, 2015, 7:50 PM ET
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...wells?ex_cid=espnapi_public/print?id=12451139

ST. LOUIS -- The Rams significantly altered the outlook for their 2015 salary cap and their offensive line Monday afternoon as they informed tackle Jake Long and center Scott Wells of their release.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, the moves save the Rams $12 million against the cap before free agency begins Tuesday.

"Jake and Scott brought experience and professionalism to our program, and we appreciate their commitment and hard work," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "Both of them overcame injury difficulties and provided leadership for our younger players. We look forward to seeing what the future holds for both of them."

The Rams signed Long to a four-year deal before the 2013 season, but he lasted only two seasons in St. Louis largely because of a pair of serious right-knee injuries. His release accounts for $8 million in savings this year.

Long tore his anterior cruciate ligament in Week 16 of the 2013 season against Tampa Bay and then did it again in Week 8 of the 2014 season against Kansas City. Those injuries limited Long, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft, to 22 games in two seasons with the Rams.

Financially speaking, the Rams had to make a decision on Long's future by March 14, when $4 million of his 2015 salary would have become guaranteed.

At various times this offseason, Fisher and general manager Les Snead have floated the possibility of Long playing a different position. Fisher has already committed to Greg Robinson, last year's No. 2 overall pick, remaining at left tackle.

Releasing Wells saves the Rams $4 million this year. He originally signed a four-year, $24 million deal with the Rams in 2012. That contract had since been renegotiated and reduced; Wells appeared in 35 games over the past three seasons.

Injuries cost Wells nine games in 2012 and four in 2013, but he played through an elbow injury to appear in all 16 games last year. Had Wells remained on the roster through Thursday, the Rams would have owed him a $1 million roster bonus.

With Wells and Long subtracted and Joe Barksdale and Davin Joseph headed for free agency, the Rams could have as many as three new starters on their offensive line in 2015.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Since the end of last season....
Starting ORG Davin Joseph released
Starting OLT Jake Long released
Starting Center Scott Wells released
Starting ORT Joe Barksdale is a UFA & no longer a Ram.
2014 6th OL'er Mike Person is a UFA & no longer a Ram.
2014 7th OL'er Tim Barnes is a UFA & no longer a Ram.
2014 9th OL'er Brandon Washington is a ERFA.

Current SIX Ram OL'ers under contract:
Starting OLG Rodger Saffold
Starting OLT Greg Robinson
OC Barrett Jones
OC Demetrius Rhaney
ORG Travis Bond
OT Steven Baker