Jake Funk Interview on Jim Rome Show Today/Wow!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jake Funk is an articulate speaker, and is going to be something special. Awesome that he is getting national exposure.
If someone has a link, please post it. He wants Rams fans to know they are getting a blue collar kid who is giving everything he has.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I will temper my enthusiasm as his injury history leads to believe, it won't get better at the next level.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Just hoping he has kicked the injury bug. I like how he attacks. He would probably be good as a returner.

I have a hard time getting too excited or upset about draft picks or UDFAs until they prove out one way or another.

Just hope for the best.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He is a smooth athlete really like his film. Just those knees, plus I think competition will be good. Jones and Calais are decent depth guys.

I agree though if he stays healthy he has a shot.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't envision Funk to be a return guy... too easy to get that third knee injury with making cuts and 250 pound guys flying around at full speed. However, I see Funk being the 3rd down utility-type player who will get the first down with a screen pass, draw play, gadget-play, etc. Even with his bad knee this guy can fly! Love this pick and hope he stays healthy because I believe McVay will utilize him.

Psycho_X

Legend
A 7th rounder is either going to be unspectacular athletically/mentally or they are going to have some serious injury concerns. As far as I can tell it's only injury concerns with him as he has great physical ability and seems like he's got a great head on his shoulders. Well worth the risk in the 7th for me. Could easily be a steal if he can put the injuries behind him. At worst we get a special teams player with great attributes and at best we get an exciting role piece for the offense who is easy to root for.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like I said when we drafted him, barring injuries, this kid will outdo most expectations. Book that. Kid is a football player.

https://player.fm/series/the-jim-rome-show-1512034/ep-5212021-jake-funk
Outdoing expectations of a 7th round draft pick seems to include remaining in the league after 2 years.

Really going out on a limb there :hiding:

1621631872541.png

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't envision Funk to be a return guy... too easy to get that third knee injury with making cuts and 250 pound guys flying around at full speed. However, I see Funk being the 3rd down utility-type player who will get the first down with a screen pass, draw play, gadget-play, etc. Even with his bad knee this guy can fly! Love this pick and hope he stays healthy because I believe McVay will utilize him.

Yeah, maybe down the road grab some of the Malcolmb Brown snaps. (y)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i was really looking forward to xavier jones getting some touches. now i'm not certain he will get any opportunities, or even make the team now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

i was really looking forward to xavier jones getting some touches. now i'm not certain he will get any opportunities, or even make the team now.

Yeah I was too. Seemed like the Rams were sort of high on him, and there were rumors of him flashing a bit in camp IIRC. McVay also said they were ready to start Jones in the playoffs but Akers toughed it out so I do think they like him.

I wonder if he's got any skills that can translate on returns. That would sure help his cause.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I think you could be right that Funk has a shot at being on the field as a RB, either on third downs or as a sub for Akers/Henderson. But I think he has a shot at kick returner too. He will certainly be a special teamer.

Hope his ACLs hold up!!

MachS

Hall of Fame
After hearing Tutu's interview with Sarina and seeing some of his highlights which include a couple great punt returns, I think he gets the nod in the punt game. I think Funk will take kickoff duties if he makes the team which should be good for us. He seems to have upside and our special teams could use some playmakers to give us better field position this year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd rather Funk did not get the return jobs. If the Rams release the other returners then Funk's knees goes Funky, then they'll be searching the scrap heap for another returner.