Jake Ellenbogen's All-Time Rams Roster: Running backs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

It's 4th and goal to go. Last play of the game 0:01 left in the Super Bowl. Who gets the carry?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN

227364_8ba5aa5cd2b147ce90c876adb953051b~mv2.webp

In this renewed series Jake gives you a complete all-time Rams roster going through each position. Here we look at running back, there were will be two starters (since we have to go split-back formation with this position), two backups, and an honorable mention.

Starter: Eric Dickerson
227364_37b48541650745288e2ab789b34181f8~mv2.webp

(64 games started, 1,525 rushes, 7,245 rush yds, 4.8 YPC, 56 rush TDs, 123 rec, 912 rec yds, 2 rec TDs)
(4x Pro Bowler, 4x All-Pro, Rookie of the Year w/ Rams)

Some may disagree, while some may disagree that people disagree, but Eric Dickerson is the poster boy for the Los Angeles Rams and has been even after he left. He may get knocked by the modern day fans for lack of longevity, but Dickerson was a force of nature and was absolutely dominant. He set the rookie rushing yards record in a year that netted him the obvious Rookie of the Year award on top of runner-up in the MVP voting.

Dickerson never took home the hardware for MVP, which is mind-boggling in itself. However, that didn't stop Dickerson from becoming an icon. He set the single-season rushing record that still stands today at 2,105 rushing yards. Dickerson was a track-star at Southern Methodist University (SMU) and he combined that speed into a giant frame of 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds.

I decided to place Dickerson here because he was the superstar for the Rams, he is the one that would likely be associated with the Rams on a Mount Rushmore. I decided to go split back formation, but my main go-to guy is going to be Dickerson. You can't beat that speed and power. While, current Rams RB Todd Gurley looks like he has it, no one was and will never be Eric Dickerson.

Starter: Marshall Faulk
227364_8513625fb3924d6b98b18b72c47d872d~mv2_d_3000_2106_s_2.webp

(80 games started, 1,447 rushes, 6,959 rush yds, 58 rush TDs, 4.8 ypc, 470 rec, 4,071 rec yards, 27 rec TDs)
(1x MVP, 4x Pro Bowler, 3x All-Pro, 1x Super Bowl Champion w/ Rams)

Yes, I did just split Dickerson and Marshall Faulk in the backfield to create the most terrifying offense ever. Yes, I did just do that. Faulk is my all-time favorite Ram and favorite NFL player, but I'm not being biased. Faulk was a fantastic running back, who in many people's opinion falls into the top 10 and maybe top 5 for all time running backs.

Faulk was a superstar out of San Diego State who was drafted to grow with future Hall of Fame signal-caller Peyton Manning in Indianapolis. Faulk was every bit as advertised, but due to the fact he missed a team yardage goal the Colts decided to trade him away to the St. Louis Rams. There he would join Hall of Fame quarterback Kurt Warner and the rest was history with the Greatest Show on Turf. Faulk was such an elite talent, that when the Rams traded for him from Indianapolis he instantly changed their offense and added a new dynamic to them. It seemed like Faulk was the missing piece for an unstoppable offense.

Faulk had seven seasons with the Rams organization and during that time he helped win them their first Super Bowl Championship in two opportunities and was named Most Valuable Player capping off a Hall of Fame career. Having Faulk split with Dickerson out of the backfield as previously mentioned is lethal. Faulk in my personal opinion no matter what anyone says is a top five all-time back and the greatest pass catching running back ever.

No.3 RB: Steven Jackson
227364_1cb07de3690f4a8c8003ec4e36629ec7~mv2_d_3000_1998_s_2.webp

(119 starts, 2,396 rushes, 10,138 rush yds, 56 rush TDs, 4.2 ypc, 407 rec, 3,324 rec yds, 8 rec TDs)
(3x Pro Bowler)

Steven Jackson, a former first-round pick drafted out of Oregon State to pass the torch to after Marshall Faulk ended up being pretty good. By pretty good, I mean really good or even great. Jackson ended up being the Rams all-time leader in rushing yards and he achieved that fit with his bulldozer running style at 6-foot-3. 229 pounds similar to Dickerson along with some sprinkled in agility like Marshall Faulk. Unfortunately, Jackson didn't get a chance to play when the times were fun for the Rams. For his entire career he battled defenses who knew that No.39 was getting the hand off and he had to make something happen regardless.

Jackson never played in a playoff game, but he tried everything in his power to get the Rams there. Some would argue this is just right for Jackson, but others would argue that he should be No.l because of his status as the Rams all-time rusher. I think this is right where he belongs, but I also think fans seem to discount a lot of the remarkable things he was able to do. Not even just Rams fans, even though Jackson had a streak of eight seasons over 1,000 yards per carry on awful teams with zero blocking and no pass game to keep the defense honest. He only ended up as a three-time Pro Bowler and was never once an All-Pro. Quite a shame to say the least...

Sure, he didn't get to play with an elite QB like Kurt Warner, but can you even imagine if he did? Jackson was an outstanding pass catcher out of the backfield and with Warner he really would have thrived. The unfortunate thing is that I think Jackson getting his number 39 retired is iffy (even though it's a no-brainer to me) and I think he is going to be a Hall of Fame snub due to the fact the writers will look at his lack of playoff resume and zero super bowls and consider others who may not have been the talent Jackson was, but had the ring.

No.4 RB: Dan Towler
227364_438cf9e219f743198da0fd0a8817b836~mv2.webp

(67 games, 672 rush, 43 rush TDs, 5.2 ypc, 62 rec, 665 rec yds, 1 rec TD)
(4x Pro Bowler, 1x All-Pro, 1x NFL Champion w/ Rams)

The Rams have a plethora of running backs in their history, but I don't believe there is a more underrated back in the franchise's storied history than Deacon Dan Towler. Towler is considered the best running back you don't even know and there is a reason for it. Towler headlined the "Bull Elephant" backfield with running backs Tank Younger and Dick Hoerner. He was selected in the 25th round by the Rams and was absolutely dominant during his short career in the NFL.

Towler was extremely consistent, posting a 5.2 yards per carry average that is higher than Faulk, Dickerson and Jackson for the Rams. Unfortunately, his act of pure dominance, dominance in which led to an NFL championship in 1951, came to halt when Towler decided to leave the game of football forever to become a minister. There is no doubt Towler could have finished much higher on the Rams list of stats had he stayed in the NFL. Towler is sixth all-time in Rams rushing yardage.

One thing that is crazy about this list is that Towler is the only one on here that played for only the Rams. Yes, even Steven Jackson left via free agency, where as Towler played all his days with the Rams and retired from football as a whole.

Honorable Mention

Lawrence McCutcheon
227364_61047b0ebe134986b6f95362cad0762c~mv2.webp

The eight-year Ram is fourth all-time in rushing for the franchise and a collector of five Pro Bowl appearances. McCutcheon who was drafted out of the third round in 1972 by the Rams is another one of those underrated backs I had to mention. While some may say that Dick Bass should be up here instead of McCutcheon, I believe McCutcheon beats him out by a hair especially with his playoff rushing performance. He set a playoff rushing record with 202 yards on the ground in one game and he even threw the go-ahead touchdown in the Rams Super Bowl loss to the Steelers.

McCutcheon had a good career with the Rams and has spent a total of 38 years with the franchise. Today, he works in the player personnel front office department as a National scout. Hopefully Todd Gurley replaces McCutcheon in a couple of years on this list...

What are your thoughts Rams fans? Are you okay with this position group or do I need to make some shakeups? Let me know! Be sure to stay tuned for the next article in this series when we take on the wide receivers.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I can't argue with your list, but I have to admit that Jackson is the guy I'd take in the poll option. Dickerson and Faulk are amazing, but Jackson was the heart and soul of the Rams during his time there, and he deserves to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame, in my honest opinion.

All in all, it's a good article.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't argue with your list, but I have to admit that Jackson is the guy I'd take in the poll option. Dickerson and Faulk are amazing, but Jackson was the heart and soul of the Rams during his time there, and he deserves to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame, in my honest opinion.

All in all, it's a good article.
Thank you! I agree Jackson should be in HOF.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
List is right on point and Faulk gets the edge, it might have been closer with Dickerson, but he was traded to the Colts and to this day Dickerson regrets demanding the trade, but I sure wish the Rams and Georgia had just paid him as again throughout her ownership Georgia proved to be penny wise and dollar foolish and in the case of Vince Ferragamo & Eric the Great, this was evident.

@jakebogen95 distinguishes himself with a shout out to Lawrence McCutcheon.... One of my farvorite stories about McCutcheon was on a Monday Night game Howard Cosell referred to McCutcheon as "Larry" McCutcheon, Cosell used to do that to personalize the broadcast only to be contacted by the McCutcheon family and informed that Lawrence McCutcheon had a brother named Larry. That's right Lawrence McCutcheon has a brother Larry McCutcheon as a young kid, that just cracked me up I remember I think that was in 1974 back then so I was 8 years old in the 3rd grade and we had a guy named Lawrence we called "Larry" and from that point on and the rest of the time I knew him, which was through high school I always referred to him as Lawrence and always knew why.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Willie Ellison, Dick Bass and Wendell Tyler should at least get a shout out here.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Oh, and a fella named Jerome Bettis.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
FOR THAT ONE GUARENTEED YARD, Bettis is probably the Best Pick! But I went with My Man ' Deacon Dan' Towler! Why? For Old Times sake ...

1951@PACKERS-RamsTowler.jpg

Towler7.jpg
" Those where some Horns you didn't want to get in front of!!!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

227364_8ba5aa5cd2b147ce90c876adb953051b~mv2.webp

In this renewed series Jake gives you a complete all-time Rams roster going through each position. Here we look at running back, there were will be two starters (since we have to go split-back formation with this position), two backups, and an honorable mention.

Starter: Eric Dickerson
227364_37b48541650745288e2ab789b34181f8~mv2.webp

(64 games started, 1,525 rushes, 7,245 rush yds, 4.8 YPC, 56 rush TDs, 123 rec, 912 rec yds, 2 rec TDs)
(4x Pro Bowler, 4x All-Pro, Rookie of the Year w/ Rams)

Some may disagree, while some may disagree that people disagree, but Eric Dickerson is the poster boy for the Los Angeles Rams and has been even after he left. He may get knocked by the modern day fans for lack of longevity, but Dickerson was a force of nature and was absolutely dominant. He set the rookie rushing yards record in a year that netted him the obvious Rookie of the Year award on top of runner-up in the MVP voting.

Dickerson never took home the hardware for MVP, which is mind-boggling in itself. However, that didn't stop Dickerson from becoming an icon. He set the single-season rushing record that still stands today at 2,105 rushing yards. Dickerson was a track-star at Southern Methodist University (SMU) and he combined that speed into a giant frame of 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds.

I decided to place Dickerson here because he was the superstar for the Rams, he is the one that would likely be associated with the Rams on a Mount Rushmore. I decided to go split back formation, but my main go-to guy is going to be Dickerson. You can't beat that speed and power. While, current Rams RB Todd Gurley looks like he has it, no one was and will never be Eric Dickerson.

Starter: Marshall Faulk
227364_8513625fb3924d6b98b18b72c47d872d~mv2_d_3000_2106_s_2.webp

(80 games started, 1,447 rushes, 6,959 rush yds, 58 rush TDs, 4.8 ypc, 470 rec, 4,071 rec yards, 27 rec TDs)
(1x MVP, 4x Pro Bowler, 3x All-Pro, 1x Super Bowl Champion w/ Rams)

Yes, I did just split Dickerson and Marshall Faulk in the backfield to create the most terrifying offense ever. Yes, I did just do that. Faulk is my all-time favorite Ram and favorite NFL player, but I'm not being biased. Faulk was a fantastic running back, who in many people's opinion falls into the top 10 and maybe top 5 for all time running backs.

Faulk was a superstar out of San Diego State who was drafted to grow with future Hall of Fame signal-caller Peyton Manning in Indianapolis. Faulk was every bit as advertised, but due to the fact he missed a team yardage goal the Colts decided to trade him away to the St. Louis Rams. There he would join Hall of Fame quarterback Kurt Warner and the rest was history with the Greatest Show on Turf. Faulk was such an elite talent, that when the Rams traded for him from Indianapolis he instantly changed their offense and added a new dynamic to them. It seemed like Faulk was the missing piece for an unstoppable offense.

Faulk had seven seasons with the Rams organization and during that time he helped win them their first Super Bowl Championship in two opportunities and was named Most Valuable Player capping off a Hall of Fame career. Having Faulk split with Dickerson out of the backfield as previously mentioned is lethal. Faulk in my personal opinion no matter what anyone says is a top five all-time back and the greatest pass catching running back ever.

No.3 RB: Steven Jackson
227364_1cb07de3690f4a8c8003ec4e36629ec7~mv2_d_3000_1998_s_2.webp

(119 starts, 2,396 rushes, 10,138 rush yds, 56 rush TDs, 4.2 ypc, 407 rec, 3,324 rec yds, 8 rec TDs)
(3x Pro Bowler)

Steven Jackson, a former first-round pick drafted out of Oregon State to pass the torch to after Marshall Faulk ended up being pretty good. By pretty good, I mean really good or even great. Jackson ended up being the Rams all-time leader in rushing yards and he achieved that fit with his bulldozer running style at 6-foot-3. 229 pounds similar to Dickerson along with some sprinkled in agility like Marshall Faulk. Unfortunately, Jackson didn't get a chance to play when the times were fun for the Rams. For his entire career he battled defenses who knew that No.39 was getting the hand off and he had to make something happen regardless.

Jackson never played in a playoff game, but he tried everything in his power to get the Rams there. Some would argue this is just right for Jackson, but others would argue that he should be No.l because of his status as the Rams all-time rusher. I think this is right where he belongs, but I also think fans seem to discount a lot of the remarkable things he was able to do. Not even just Rams fans, even though Jackson had a streak of eight seasons over 1,000 yards per carry on awful teams with zero blocking and no pass game to keep the defense honest. He only ended up as a three-time Pro Bowler and was never once an All-Pro. Quite a shame to say the least...

Sure, he didn't get to play with an elite QB like Kurt Warner, but can you even imagine if he did? Jackson was an outstanding pass catcher out of the backfield and with Warner he really would have thrived. The unfortunate thing is that I think Jackson getting his number 39 retired is iffy (even though it's a no-brainer to me) and I think he is going to be a Hall of Fame snub due to the fact the writers will look at his lack of playoff resume and zero super bowls and consider others who may not have been the talent Jackson was, but had the ring.

No.4 RB: Dan Towler
227364_438cf9e219f743198da0fd0a8817b836~mv2.webp

(67 games, 672 rush, 43 rush TDs, 5.2 ypc, 62 rec, 665 rec yds, 1 rec TD)
(4x Pro Bowler, 1x All-Pro, 1x NFL Champion w/ Rams)

The Rams have a plethora of running backs in their history, but I don't believe there is a more underrated back in the franchise's storied history than Deacon Dan Towler. Towler is considered the best running back you don't even know and there is a reason for it. Towler headlined the "Bull Elephant" backfield with running backs Tank Younger and Dick Hoerner. He was selected in the 25th round by the Rams and was absolutely dominant during his short career in the NFL.

Towler was extremely consistent, posting a 5.2 yards per carry average that is higher than Faulk, Dickerson and Jackson for the Rams. Unfortunately, his act of pure dominance, dominance in which led to an NFL championship in 1951, came to halt when Towler decided to leave the game of football forever to become a minister. There is no doubt Towler could have finished much higher on the Rams list of stats had he stayed in the NFL. Towler is sixth all-time in Rams rushing yardage.

One thing that is crazy about this list is that Towler is the only one on here that played for only the Rams. Yes, even Steven Jackson left via free agency, where as Towler played all his days with the Rams and retired from football as a whole.

Honorable Mention

Lawrence McCutcheon
227364_61047b0ebe134986b6f95362cad0762c~mv2.webp

The eight-year Ram is fourth all-time in rushing for the franchise and a collector of five Pro Bowl appearances. McCutcheon who was drafted out of the third round in 1972 by the Rams is another one of those underrated backs I had to mention. While some may say that Dick Bass should be up here instead of McCutcheon, I believe McCutcheon beats him out by a hair especially with his playoff rushing performance. He set a playoff rushing record with 202 yards on the ground in one game and he even threw the go-ahead touchdown in the Rams Super Bowl loss to the Steelers.

McCutcheon had a good career with the Rams and has spent a total of 38 years with the franchise. Today, he works in the player personnel front office department as a National scout. Hopefully Todd Gurley replaces McCutcheon in a couple of years on this list...

What are your thoughts Rams fans? Are you okay with this position group or do I need to make some shakeups? Let me know! Be sure to stay tuned for the next article in this series when we take on the wide receivers.
I like this^ But you should have given us a choice of "Other" so we Fan's could bring the other's up Like; ( Are you ready!)
* Fred Gehrke
* Dick Hoerner
* Tank Younger
* Ollie Matson
* John Arnett
* Dick Bass
* Les Josephson
* Jim Bertelsen
* John Cappelletti
* Cullen Bryant
* Elvis Peacock
* Wendell Tyler
* Mike Guman
* Cleveland Gary
* Buford McGee
* AND AT LEAST JEROME BETTIS!!
I'm SURE I LEFT SOMEONE OUT!
But you get the idea, NEVER forget the "OTHER"!!(y);):D:LOL:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ED & MF are basically chocolate and vanilla, take your pick
Bettis is the strawberry in the RB Neopolitan

After that its debatable.
Needing 1 yard? SJ is the last guy you should pick.....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wendal Tyler was the shit....Lawrence McCutcheon made me want a speed at tailback. But he was a beast, in a really tough era to run the ball....Bus should be here because his rookie year was awesome....then Marshall and ED, best of all time rb's.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Steven Jackson gets the ball at the 1. Out of all our great history of RBs, he had the most determination of them all. I wasn't alive when Dickerson played so I have to go with Faulk as the best.

fearsomefour

Legend
For the one yard question Bettis is the guy.
Bettis could be on the list of 5 worst personnel decisions/cuts/trades by the Rams.
Traded because Brooks wanted to move him to FB....WT actual F??
It's ok, Rich Brooks replaced him with Lawrence Phillips.
What a brilliant guy Rich Brooks was (endless blue font)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Steven Jackson gets the ball at the 1. Out of all our great history of RBs, he had the most determination of them all. I wasn't alive when Dickerson played so I have to go with Faulk as the best.
I can't count the Times I have seen SJ get the Ball and we only need one yard for a Td or 1st down and he didn't get it!! NO WAY do I pick him in this scenario!!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I like this^ But you should have given us a choice of "Other" so we Fan's could bring the other's up Like; ( Are you ready!)
* Fred Gehrke
* Dick Hoerner
* Tank Younger
* Ollie Matson
* John Arnett
* Dick Bass
* Les Josephson
* Jim Bertelsen
* John Cappelletti
* Cullen Bryant
* Elvis Peacock
* Wendell Tyler
* Mike Guman
* Cleveland Gary
* Buford McGee
* AND AT LEAST JEROME BETTIS!!
I'm SURE I LEFT SOMEONE OUT!
But you get the idea, NEVER forget the "OTHER"!!(y);):D:LOL:
Oh man, the ultimate role guys and mortar to a roster, Les Josephson and Jim Bertelsen and the great story that is John Cappelletti. Great guy to have from the 1 was also Cullen Bryant.

Now even my crusty arse is too young to remember Gehrke, Hoerner, Younger, Matson, and Arnett even though the names are very familiar to me. Please, ROD Rams with the horns with the most curls, share your memories of these backs. What were their styles? What makes them stand out in your memories? What backs of today do they remind you of? Thanks for sharing in advance!

And Jake, sorry for hijacking your thread a bit. But you get free research from some old Bighorns! :hijack: (y)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice article Jake...I think many will be swayed by the players they themselves saw play. I saw Lawrence McCutcheon, Wendell Tyler, Eric Dickerson, Marshal...Marshall...Marshall, Steven Jackson, and Todd Gurley.

I thought Eric Dickerson was a virtuoso runner in the open field. he was a freakin gazelle. But I also saw him get caught/stopped when standing straight up, which was his running style. He always seemed vulnerable to getting stopped that way and was aided in his success by maybe the best Oline in history in the 80's.

Marshall Faulk was magical. He was a star in a cast of many other potential HOFers. If you ask me about placing a game in the hands of one Running Back to win the Super Bowl, it would be Marshall Faulk and it's not close. If Martz had done that in Super Bowl 36 in the second half, we would have beaten those cheating bastids no matter what they knew was coming.

It is unfortunate that SJAX never was on a decent Rams team, because he might have changed my mind about the best RB in Ram's history if he had half of the chances of ED and MF. But alas, we will never know.

Loved Lawrence McCutcheon!!!!! Also loved John Cappaletti, who played with "Larry" in the 1970's.

Wendell Tyler, someone said...MY GOD NO! I was SO GLAD when we got rid of that fumble machine! He absolutely made me sick, seeing the football swung wide from his body while running for balance. Quite a few long runs by Tyler were stripped in the red zone in the most agonizing fashion....soooo..

1. Marshall Faulk
2. Eric Dickerson
3. SJAX
4. Lawrence McCutcheon
5. Jerome Bettis (he wasn't a Ram that long)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't believe that I forgot him, but I saw his jersey when I was looking at Wendell Tyler's info. Charles White. White was a Heisman Trophy winner at USC (my favorite college team when young). He had a couple of great years with the Rams when his old USC HC came to coach the Rams (John Robinson).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lawrence McCutcheon btw only trails Kurt Warner for most TD passes thrown in the Superbowl in Rams history