Jake Ellenbogen's All-Time Rams Roster: Quarterbacks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who's starting for your All-Time Rams squad?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bulger was good, but not in Kurt's class. I liked Bulger, I loved Kurt. Granted I understand why the Rams went with Bulger and Warner needed a whole year to get the hand healthy and realize he needed to wear gloves, but Warner was superior and made great throws in the clutch.
I like that you said that. You like Bulger and love Warner. I think it makes a statement.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I know a lot of people like to throw in Everett who is 5th QB on Rams all-time for me. But, I really don't see the first two Waterfield and NVB get the credit they deserve. Why is it that Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson type of players back in the day for baseball get all the credit, but everyone wants to throw away old football players? Always found that odd.
That is a great point.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is a great point.
Thank you! As someone who lives 3 hours away from the Baseball HOF I know that these old timers are cherished. People love the old players. It's not like the old players like NVB, Waterfield, Baugh, Crazy Legs thats for sure.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
They all fell from grace, like many QBs do eventually. Well, maybe Norm a little less, he was traded to the Eagles and won them a Championship. But he was throwing a lot of INTs with the Rams before that.

Gabriel - arm started going bad. Had to see an accupuncturist. His last year as a Ram wasn't very good and they had a losing record.
Hadl - player of the year in 1973 became washed up in 1974 after suffering a back injury. When Carroll found out he promply traded him and went with Harris.
Harris - The gripe on him was he held the ball too long, evidenced in a 16-0 shoutout and 10 sacks at the hands of the 49ers. They never let him call his own plays, and the owner fell in love with Haden who had shown a knack for a few wild plays and a little luck.
Haden - luck ran out in 1979 as injuries took their toll. 1980, more injuries, and 1981 so many beatings from huge lienmen. I remember big Faumuina from Atlanta crushing him like a rag doll. Finally the "too small" label was proven.
Ferragamo - hand issues messed up his 1984 season and his play suffered to the point of the home fans booing him. Then he was out of action as a very average backup named Kemp took over. Vince was slow to recover to the point of the Rams going after Brock in the 1985 offseason. Ended his career as a crappy backup in Buffalo and GB.
Everett - one of the best QBs in 1988-89 was just a flash in the pan. Randall Cunningham thought he had a better year than Montana in 1989 (not counting SB) and I won't argue that. But we know he fell from grace after he fell when he heard footsteps. Interesting is that other great QBs have eaten the ball too. He gets the notoriety and no thanks to Jim Rhome who enhanced it.
Warner - a bad 2002 thanks to Martz, and Kurt himself for still wanting to be out there in 4th qtr blowouts the year before. Fell from grace with a bad hand digit which prompted crappy play and losing.
Bulger - had a great 2002 and 2003, that's all I remember, and fell from grace in his last years after calling too many timeouts in the 1st qtr. I have not seen any QB other than a rookie constantly doing that as much as Bulger did and it really bugged me. I took him down several notches after that.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Everett had 9000+ more yards passing than Warner and 40 more TD's He deserves to be on this List!

He did Dave, but only one Quarterback led the Rams to a Super Bowl and that Quarterback unequivocally deserves to be number one. Now if Warner was Doug Williams or Mark Rypien I would agree, but he wasn't and Everett would be next @jakebogen95 was 100% correct.

Some love for Bob Waterfield who was the first Ram to have his number retired (7) and married Jane Russell, who not only being a beauty, but came up Platex Bra.
Russell,%20Jane%20(Outlaw,%20The)_01A.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He did Dave, but only one Quarterback led the Rams to a Super Bowl and that Quarterback unequivocally deserves to be number one. Now if Warner was Doug Williams or Mark Rypien I would agree, but he wasn't and Everett would be next @jakebogen95 was 100% correct.

Some love for Bob Waterfield who was the first Ram to have his number retired (7) and married Jane Russell, who not only being a beauty, but came up Platex Bra.
Russell,%20Jane%20(Outlaw,%20The)_01A.jpg
Waterfield did also Play in Both the Rams Championship games prior to our Super Bowl Championship!!!!

rams-banner.jpg

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Gabriel will always be #1 in my heart but Warner won that SB. Waterfield and Van Brocklin must of been something to see back in the day. We've had some greatness at QB over the years. Here's to hoping we add #16 to the list someday.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They all fell from grace, like many QBs do eventually. Well, maybe Norm a little less, he was traded to the Eagles and won them a Championship. But he was throwing a lot of INTs with the Rams before that.

Great post, Ron Jaworski never started a full year and IMO should have never been traded, but as you so astutely illustrated in your post, for some reason Carroll Rosenbloom loved Pat Haden and I think the fact he went to USC and was a Rhode Scholar played into it. Although there are many things I would like to change in Ram history, not trading Jaworski and hiring Bill Walsh over George Allen in 1978 rank right up there.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why is it that Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson type of players back in the day for baseball get all the credit, but everyone wants to throw away old football players? Always found that odd.
Just my opinion, but I don't find value in comparing players that I never saw play.
And with baseball, the answer is pretty simple. Nobody is putting up Babe Ruth numbers these days .370 BA 50+ HR, and nobody is coming close to the Walter Johnson type either, 300+ innings & 30+ wins
So in football, todays numbers blow away the old school while in baseball its reverse.
Either way though, IMO I only like to compare players from my generation, based on what I saw them do.