Jaguars, Vikings boast NFL's best secondaries heading into 2018

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...boast-nfls-best-secondaries-heading-into-2018

Jaguars, Vikings boast NFL's best secondaries heading into 2018
After an offseason full of trades, free-agent relocations and retirement announcements, key pieces left Seattle's "Legion of Boom" and Denver's "No Fly Zone." The Legion of Boom's Richard Sherman now resides in San Francisco, Kam Chancellor believes he's played his final game and Earl Thomas is holding out. Meanwhile, the Broncos' No Fly Zone is now without Aqib Talib, who reunited with Wade Phillips in Los Angeles.

Long story short, the honor of the league's top secondary is up for grabs heading into 2018. So, which team boasts the best defensive backfield?

Reggie Bush: Jaguars' secondary will flourish again behind Jalen Ramsey, A.J. Bouye

I have to go with the team that has the best cornerback tandem in the league. Jacksonville's Jalen Ramsey and A.J. Bouye allowed the lowest passer rating when targeted in 2017 of any duo in the league, and it feels like both guys will only get better. This secondary also reaps the benefits of playing behind a monster defensive line that features Calais Campbell, Yannick Ngakoue and Malik Jackson. The pressure applied up front allows the DBs to jump routes and stay aggressive.

David Carr: Ravens' secondary deserves more burn, but Vikings' group rules the roost

It's real close between the Ravens and Vikings. Baltimore's Eric Weddle is one of the top safeties in the game, while veteran cornerback Jimmy Smith was in the midst of a career year before getting hurt in the second half of last season. If Smith can return to that level in Year 8, the Ravens should keep most passing attacks in check.

But ... I have to go with Minnesota. Xavier Rhodes can shut down an entire side of the field by himself, and Harrison Smith is so versatile that, as a quarterback, you can't anticipate what Mike Zimmer's defense is going to do because Smith can do it all.

Brian Baldinger: Jacksonville's group is just so well-rounded -- and deep

The Jaguars have great depth on the third level of the defense, with Ramsey and Bouye at cornerback and Tashaun Gipson and Barry Church at safety. Gipson is a smart, durable, pure free safety, while Church is a physical presence inside. I really like rookie safety Ronnie Harrison out of Alabama, as well. He's a big hitter and has a real chance to see time on the field. Doug Marrone could also find a solid nickel corner in free-agent acquisition D.J. Hayden.

Shaun O'Hara: Behind stout defensive line, Vikings' DBs will be game-wreckers

Mike Zimmer has the NFL's best defense right now. Harrison Smith is the top safety in the league, in my opinion. Xavier Rhodes shuts down top wideouts by making physical plays. Trae Waynes needs to display more consistency, but the 2015 first-rounder has steadily improved. Mackensie Alexander is embracing his role as the team's nickel corner, while first-round draft pick Mike Hughes and veteran Terence Newman add serious depth to this unit. The Vikings' defensive line is athletic and applies a ton of pressure. Plus, that SKOL crowd is a huge benefit.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm happy with Peters, Talib, Robey-Coleman, Shields, Peters, Christian, Smith / Joyner and JJ. By mid season the talking heads will be singing their praises as the best secondary in the league.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm happy with Peters, Talib, Robey-Coleman, Shields, Peters, Christian, Smith / Joyner and JJ. By mid season the talking heads will be singing their praises as the best secondary in the league.

Same here.

That Jacksonville secondary is nice... but for me it’s hard to pick one over ours.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Well ... I find it odd that we supposedly are not even in the "conversation" for this distinction. WTF?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams secondary is gonna have to prove itself before talking heads give them any recognition.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If you look at our secondary with Talib and Peters outside, NRC and Shields at nickel and dime and covered on the back end with Joyner and Johnson, coached up by Aubrey Pleasant and plays called by Wade Phillips - if you think there is a more talented unit coached up by equal or better coordinators and coaches somewhere else - I dont know what you are seeing that I am not.

This Rams secondary have yet to show themselves and prove their unit is indeed one of, if not the best in the league. Since they havent proven anything yet, I understand the hesitation to annoint them... but damn thats quite a lineup of Pro Bowl level players to execute a Wade Phillips defense.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well ... I find it odd that we supposedly are not even in the "conversation" for this distinction. WTF?

apparently they have too much personality and therefore it will be hard for them to gel.

Ram65

Legend
An honorable mention for the Rams is called for here. The Jags and Vikings deserve the credit. I think the Rams safeties and depth are being underrated. Could be they haven't seen the Rams play together yet. Looking forward to watching them this year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, those jackwagons will see the light by Week 9.