Jaguars OC Nathaniel Hackett fired - plus the Battle of the Bortles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No better huh?

Bortles = 17,500 yards passing @59% ----- 103 TD's ---- 74 ints
Mannion = 235 yards passing @62% ---------0 TD's -------- 1ints

Comical to even compare the two.
You got it man he's amazing! Besides what's the point of even pining for him to be our backup? He's on the Jags they haven't cut him just benched him and even then we're 31st on the waiver wire so not like we'd get him and the trade deadline is passed. Just arguing we need him for the hell of it?
Comical to even discuss we need him right now no matter how unrealistic it is. He won't be cut because of his salary for a very long time.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No better huh?

Bortles has twice as much yards and touchdowns as Goff, but you wouldn’t say he’s better though, right?

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Bortles has twice as much yards and touchdowns as Goff, but you wouldn’t say he’s better though, right?

Goff has two full seasons performing at a franchise qb level.

I have been pointing out that Bortles would be a vast improvement over most team's backup qb's and certainly the Ram's marginal backup qb.

I do not find the prospect of facing a quality opponent with Mannion at qb combined with the way our defense is playing very comforting.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff has two full seasons performing at a franchise qb level.

I have been pointing out that Bortles would be a vast improvement over most team's backup qb's and certainly the Ram's marginal backup qb.

I do not find the prospect of facing a quality opponent with Mannion at qb combined with the way our defense is playing very comforting.
You haven’t pointed out why he’s a better “backup” you’ve only made a silly comparison of stats.
comparing stats from a 4 year starter to a guy who has started 1 game is just apples to oranges.
I’m no fan of Mannion but we don’t know what he can do. We do know what Bortles is and it isn’t very good.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The main difference with JAX versus last year is that they are losing close games when last year they were winning them.

They have already lost 5 games that were one score losses, last year all season only 4 losses that close. They only have one win in a one score game this year. Lat year they won 4. Splitting close games is a lot different that going 1-5 with 5 games to go.

They aren't "closing" like they were last year. Injuries? Maybe. Bortles playing worse? Maybe that too. They certainly aren't scoring points like they did last year.

sjm1582002

You haven’t pointed out why he’s a better “backup” you’ve only made a silly comparison of stats.
comparing stats from a 4 year starter to a guy who has started 1 game is just apples to oranges.
I’m no fan of Mannion but we don’t know what he can do. We do know what Bortles is and it isn’t very good.

Mannion was a back up to two backups (Keenum and Foles) and was never considered a threat to supplant either one.

But you "don't know what he can do"?

I pray we do not find out.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
hahaha How many backups earn playing time to throw touchdowns? Those that play behind bad or injured QB's. I am by no means saying Mannion is good. But to depend on Bortles from what he's shown us? Yeah that's a sure fire way to lose games hence why he's getting benched for the ultra talented Cody Kessler!

I'd SERIOUSLY take Austin Davis who threw for multiple 300 yd games in FISHER'S offense over Mannion OR Bortles.

Honestly, Bortles doesn't just not manage the game, he loses games for you. The odd positive game is fools gold.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion was a back up to two backups (Keenum and Foles) and was never considered a threat to supplant either one.

But you "don't know what he can do"?

I pray we do not find out.
Mannion was a 4th round rookie who was 3rd string behind a former pro bowl QB in Foles, and Keenum who is good enough to have posted a 98.3 Rating last year. I don't see the shame in that.
Its not like he was benched for Chad Henne or Cody Kessler. Now THAT would be embarrassing.
Oh, wait a minute...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
5bff0f6ecc525686667643.gif

sjm1582002

Mannion was a 4th round rookie who was 3rd string behind a former pro bowl QB in Foles, and Keenum who is good enough to have posted a 98.3 Rating last year. I don't see the shame in that.
Its not like he was benched for Chad Henne or Cody Kessler. Now THAT would be embarrassing.
Oh, wait a minute...

Is that right?

Mannion will likely never know how it feels to lose a starting job in the NFL since his lack of ability will protect him from that "embarrassing" fate.

Instead, he will always ponder why he was never able to convince the coaches to give him a shot at the big time.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is that right?

Mannion will likely never know how it feels to lose a starting job in the NFL since his lack of ability will protect him from that "embarrassing" fate.

Instead, he will always ponder why he was never able to convince the coaches to give him a shot at the big time.
That's right. On the Rams he will never have the opportunity to be the starter because we have Jared Goff.
We are talking about back up QB here
I think you are losing track of the topic.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
No better huh?

True.

Mannion has lost how many games for us with Pick 6s? And Bortles?

Bortles has played because he was a top pick and that investment along with a lack of alternatives effectively stuck the org with Bortles and working very hard to "salvage the pick".

There is NO WAY on God's green earth that Bortles is even in the league still if he were a UDFA. Matter of fact, he'd be out of the league just like Nathan Peterman...and just as much of a joke.

I'm not saying Mannion is great, but good grief, Bortles is radioactive...he's taking down his OC, likely his HC and maybe the GM.

sjm1582002

True.

Mannion has lost how many games for us with Pick 6s? And Bortles?

Bortles has played because he was a top pick and that investment along with a lack of alternatives effectively stuck the org with Bortles and working very hard to "salvage the pick".

There is NO WAY on God's green earth that Bortles is even in the league still if he were a UDFA. Matter of fact, he'd be out of the league just like Nathan Peterman...and just as much of a joke.

I'm not saying Mannion is great, but good grief, Bortles is radioactive...he's taking down his OC, likely his HC and maybe the GM.

Since you and Dieter believe that Mannion is a more talented qb than Bortles then there is nothing further to discuss, is there?

What's the point in trying to upgrade from a player when, after three years, "we don't know what he can do"?

Who doesn't like surprises?

Me, that who.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Since you and Dieter believe that Mannion is a more talented qb than Bortles then there is nothing further to discuss, is there?

What's the point in trying to upgrade from a player when, after three years, "we don't know what he can do"?

Me, that who.

I've just watched enough Bortles to know that he's not only not a good QB, but by his own admission he hasn't taken football seriously and has only just started to apply himself and even by that standard, not much.

THIS is why he actually harms his team.

His natural talent isn't at issue and is beside the point at this moment.

Bortles loses games for his team on multiple occasions because he's not a professional.

Is Mannion the better physical talent or arm talent? No. But see, Mannion is a hard worker and studies so is less likely to turn the ball over.

I dunno if Mannion will ever be more than a backup.

What I do know is that Bortles is fools gold and his lack of professionalism has cost his team multiple games.

Now, if you know of a professional QB who would be an upgrade over Mannion that's not super expensive, then I'd love to hear it. Problem is that Bortles doesn't qualify as a professional QB and is disqualified based on work habits alone.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Me, that who.
When did I say Mannion was more talented?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I watched Blake when he played for UCF. Dude was the reason UCF kicked ass... he was clutch in the most critical moments when all the pressure was on. I was a big fan of his coming out of college because I had watched almost all of his games.

He has to take some of the credit for his lack of success at the next level... there is no doubt about that... but the Jags didn't do him many favors. His coaching and receiving corps have been poor. The whole offense there has really been a mess since Blake has been there. He's been asked to do too much with too little. Blake is a gamer, so he hasn't been afraid to let the ball fly when he's asked to... he hasn't had enough help from the rest of his offense (including the coaching staff) when it came to nut crunching time though.

That whole franchise is a mess right now. Crazy when you think that they were probably 1 play away from sending the cheatriots home and being in the Super Bowl last season. But they are a real train wreck. The decision makers need to goooooo if that franchise hopes to become successful again.

Blake has real talent. I hope he gets a fresh start with a team that has a smart offensive coaching staff.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
There's a path for Bortles to be a free agent soon. People remember the salary dump/trade of Brock Osweiler to the Browns?

Should the Raiders trade for QB Blake Bortles to gain a draft pick?
https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/20...de-for-qb-blake-bortles-to-gain-a-draft-pick/

------------------------------

If how we’re playing and how I’m playing is trash, then I’m fine with being trash.
-- Blake Bortles

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/Jags-Bortles-fine-with-being-trash-_163828961

------------------------------

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyNua47jUMc