Jaguars not planning for Justin Blackmon being available this season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Jaguars not planning for Justin Blackmon being available this season
Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 2, 2014

blackmon1.jpg
AP

Wide receiver Justin Blackmon was suspended for three-quarters of the 2013 regular season, and it appears the Jaguars are ready for the potential of being without him for all of 2014.

Jaguars G.M. David Caldwell said Friday that having Blackmon on the roster for 2014 was “not something we’re counting on,” according to Mark Long of The Associated Press and other reporters present.

Caldwell also indicated he would be “relatively surprised” if Blackmon were available this season, per John Oehser of Jaguars.com and other media.

The No. 5 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, Blackmon has hauled in 93 passes for 1,280 yards and six touchdowns in 20 NFL regular season games. He showed considerable promise in his four games a season ago, racking up 415 receiving yards. However, he was suspended indefinitely in November for violating the substance-abuse policy.

Blackmon will have to apply to NFL reinstatement. Should he eventually return to Jacksonville, he would bolster a Jaguars receiving corps with another capable playmaking pass catcher in Cecil Shorts III. However, the Jaguars are ready to make other plans, it seems.

V3

Hall of Fame
Good grief. Not sure if he did something else or what but what a waste of talent. You think Fisher would smash his glasses on the table about losing him now? We lucked out.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
At this point I'm glad he's not a Ram albeit in three games he seems more productive than Bran Quick for a whole season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This is some news here wonder if this gives the Cleveland Browns or the Oakland Raiders some concerns? Both are allegedly interested in Sammy Watkins. Many Mocks have Sammy going off the boards either @#4 or #5. I have long thought that the Jags will go LB'er Mack but this may cause me to reconsider. I know many around here like Blackmon a bunch but Sammy IMO is a much better WR.

iced

Good grief. Not sure if he did something else or what but what a waste of talent. You think Fisher would smash his glasses on the table about losing him now? We lucked out.

i don't feel we can say that. how a coaching staff handles their rookies vs the rams staff is vastly different.

We were the only team i believe that made our rookies go through financial management classes as well as a lot other forms of aid to help keep these kids on the straight and narrow.

If they can handle ogletree, jenkins, and trumain, i think they could handle blackmon..

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
i don't feel we can say that. how a coaching staff handles their rookies vs the rams staff is vastly different.

We were the only team i believe that made our rookies go through financial management classes as well as a lot other forms of aid to help keep these kids on the straight and narrow.

If they can handle ogletree, jenkins, and trumain, i think they could handle blackmon..
Apples and oranges man,Bman is a full blown alcaholic, I could see it in his eyes when he was drafted,main reason I didn't want him.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I still like the idea of suckering Jacksonville into giving us the rights to JB and the #3 pick for the #2 pick.

V3

Hall of Fame
I still like the idea of suckering Jacksonville into giving us the rights to JB and the #3 pick for the #2 pick.

I'm not sure you'll have to give anything up if you just wait a little. He may end up being released if he doesn't do a complete 180.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I don't know why but I feel like he's still going to turn things around at some point and the dude is an absolute beast when he's actually playing. Would LOVE for the Rams to take on the Blackmon reclamation project.

I guess it's been long enough since the Lawrence Phillips debacle that I'd sanction such a thing. I think I'm just a sucker.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm not sure you'll have to give anything up if you just wait a little. He may end up being released if he doesn't do a complete 180.

But then you are competing with the other 30 teams looking for that low hanging fruit. Moving from 2-3 isn't giving up much, if anything - we likely get the same player just a bit cheaper.

V3

Hall of Fame
But then you are competing with the other 30 teams looking for that low hanging fruit. Moving from 2-3 isn't giving up much, if anything - we likely get the same player just a bit cheaper.

You have to weigh the options there with the team's player rankings. I don't know what they are but if there's a player the Rams want a lot more than another, I don't think Blackmon is worth losing out on him- especially if there's a player at 2 that another team that's lower is willing to trade up for. IMO Blackmon just isn't enough compensation for the risk involved in losing out on a player they prefer.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is some news here wonder if this gives the Cleveland Browns or the Oakland Raiders some concerns? Both are allegedly interested in Sammy Watkins. Many Mocks have Sammy going off the boards either @#4 or #5. I have long thought that the Jags will go LB'er Mack but this may cause me to reconsider. I know many around here like Blackmon a bunch but Sammy IMO is a much better WR.

Good point. (y)