Jadeveon Clowney out 9 months - Microfracture surgery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...houston-texans-microfracture-surgery-9-months

Houston Texans linebacker Jadeveon Clowney underwent microfracture knee surgery on Monday and is expected to be sidelined nine months, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

After meeting with renowned orthopedic surgeon James Andrews on Wednesday, it was determined that Clowney needs a second surgery on his right knee.

"This guy's been injured and it's time to clean it up and get him back to feeling good and get him back on the field as soon as we can," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said last week.

"He wants to play football. He wants to be good so I think he was disappointed right off the bat," O'Brien said. "But I think he understands what he has to do and why this is necessary and he knows that he has to rehab hard and get back out there."

The outside linebacker had sports hernia surgery in June, shortly after signing his rookie contract. In August, Clowney suffered a concussion during a practice with the Denver Broncos. He was ready for the beginning of the season but tore the meniscus in his right knee in the first half of the Texans' opener. He had arthroscopic knee surgery the next day.

After missing six games, Clowney, 21, tried to return, but his knee never quite felt right.

Clowney played four games in his rookie season, amassing a season-high 49 snaps against theCincinnati Bengals in Week 12. After the game, he experienced a great deal of swelling in his knee.

The Texans drafted Clowney with the No. 1 overall pick out of South Carolina.

Houston will continue relying on Whitney Mercilusto fill in for Clowney on Sunday at Jacksonville. Mercilus, who was the 26th pick in the 2012 draft, has started 10 games this season and has 43 tackles, four sacks and a forced fumble.

Well, the knee issues help explain his sub-par final season in college, but microfracture surgery does not give me confidence he'll have a long NFL career.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
The Texans' Jadeveon Clowney underwent microfracture knee surgery Monday, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source close to the player. The hope is that 2014's No. 1 overall pick will be ready to start the season, and that Houston's pass rusher should make a full recovery.

Rapoport added that when Clowney tore his meniscus, there was also cartilage damage, per Texans sources. The team knew microfracture surgery was in the cards. But his knee never healed from the initial injury that originally sidelined Clowney six weeks.

Team doctor Walter Lowe performed the surgery.

The Texans placed Clowney on injured reserve Thursday after an injury-riddled rookie season.

NFL.com

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Microfracture sounds like a career ender already. Maybe he'll beat the odds but...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jeez, that's seriously bad. What a monumental fucking screw-up by the Texans' medical staff. How do you miss something like that? No wonder the guy didn't feel comfortable.

This could ruin his career.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Hearst had like dead muscle or bones or something in his foot I think. Different than this.
Necrosis,that's what Bo Jackson had in his hip,dunno who it was

this from wik

Hearst ran into complications following surgery as circulatory problems choked off the blood supply in the area, leading to Avascular Necrosis, causing the talus bone in his foot to die. Bo Jackson suffered this same condition in his hip and was forced to retire from football.

After over two years of rehabilitation, Hearst played football in 2001 and became the first player in NFL history to come back to football after suffering avascular necrosis. He had an excellent season as we

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Jeez, that's seriously bad. What a monumental freaking screw-up by the Texans' medical staff. How do you miss something like that? No wonder the guy didn't feel comfortable.

This could ruin his career.
No wonder he got a second opinion

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Leading up to the 2014 NFL Draft, it was sort of like a competition as to who was worthy of the #1 Pick. Many Ram's fans wanted Clowney so bad, and I was one of them for a while until I became familiar with a certain LT named Greg Robinson..........No joy about this kids misfortune,

and the Texans...*smh...They had JJ Watts and needed QB badly....I wonder if they look at Bortles or Derek Carr with any regret?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Geez....bad luck for this guy...Hope he can come back....I know he's feeling a lil pissed...

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
With clowney basically gone I don't know how Donald doesn't win DROY.