Jadeveon Clowney makes Friday visit to St. Louis Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

If the St. Louis Rams are at all serious about drafting a defensive end with the No. 2 overall pick in the NFL draft when the club already has one of the NFL's top defensive end combinations, Friday could prove crucial for Jadeveon Clowney's draft fate. The star pass rusher from South Carolina will visit the club Friday, according to NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport, via Twitter.

The Rams' pass-rushing duo of Robert Quinn and Chris Long is among the NFL's best and combined for 27.5 sacks last year. Pass rushing is Clowney's specialty, so there wouldn't appear to be a fit from a need perspective. Still, head coach Jeff Fisher recently commented, with regard to Clowney, that an NFL team can never have enough pass rushers.

If the Houston Texans pass on Clowney with the top pick, the Rams' leverage in trading the pick to a team in greater need of a pass rusher depends somewhat on how many potential trade partners are convinced St. Louis is willing to draft him themselves. From that perspective, hosting Clowney for a visit makes plenty of sense, even if the club is more inclined to draft an offensive tackle, as has been speculated.

Clowney was in Jacksonville Thursday for a visit with the Jaguars, who pick No. 3 overall, and was in a particularly jovial mood.

As the player many NFL clubs covet most of all, who wouldn't be?

RamzFanz

Damnit
They had to slow this down just so you could see him:

846732784.gif

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm not opposed to drafting him or Watkins, Watkins a little lower.

If we draft Sammy, we'd have a hella fast trio in Givens, Austin, and Watkins. Al Davis would mess himself...

If we draft Clowney, we'd add to our stout rush. Watkins makes more sense, Clowney is the better player.

Very, very, tough decision. Fisher loves athletic playmakers and both of these guys fit that bill.

Alan

Legend
jjab360 taking advantage of me:
I disagree with your agreement of his disagreement.

If Clowney's still on the board at 2 it's Clowney or trade down, imo.

You have me at a disadvantage sir. My wife has some of her friends over for a "girls night" and even though they are a couple of rooms away, I can barely here myself think. Needless to say I've fortified myself with some herb and I'm planning on listening to some Scorpions on my head phones.

Anyway, here goes: I disagree with your disagreement concerning my agreement with R&G's disagreement with ChrisW's wanting to draft Clowney at #2. I've tried to read this sentence twice already and I can't make any sense of it, so it's probably right. :LOL:

Last edited:
Clowney at 2
Kony Ealy at 13
Scott Crichton at 44

Sure it doesn't help us win many games but no opposing O is going to stop that, imagine Long, Quinn, Clowney, Ealy and Crichton on the field at the same time with the other 6 defenders blitzing, it's a good job Crapondick and Wilson are running QBs.

FRO

Legend
Clowney at 2
Kony Ealy at 13
Scott Crichton at 44

Sure it doesn't help us win many games but no opposing O is going to stop that, imagine Long, Quinn, Clowney, Ealy and Crichton on the field at the same time with the other 6 defenders blitzing, it's a good job Crapondick and Wilson are running QBs.
There is a difference between picking Clowney at 2 and Ealy at 13 or Crichton at 44. Clowney is a rare type that doesn't show up in every draft. A guy with his size and length ran a 4.53. That's better than a lot of WRs who weigh 60 lbs less. The guy is an athletic freak of nature and some are comparing him to LT, Bruce Smith, and Reggie White. When we pick him we will be picking talent over need. The Ealy and Crichton types are in every draft every year. The Clowney types aren't.

There is a difference between picking Clowney at 2 and Ealy at 13 or Crichton at 44. Clowney is a rare type that doesn't show up in every draft. A guy with his size and length ran a 4.53. That's better than a lot of WRs who weigh 60 lbs less. The guy is an athletic freak of nature and some are comparing him to LT, Bruce Smith, and Reggie White. When we pick him we will be picking talent over need. The Ealy and Crichton types are in every draft every year. The Clowney types aren't.

Potential talent, which shows up and makes a few plays per game over less potential which shows up and is consistently excellent need.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
My worry about Clowney at #2 is that he is the player in the draft that has the biggest distance to fall - he's being hyped so much (and maybe rightly so) it's almost as if...

"If you draft Clowney, no QB will EVER pass the ball if he's on the field"

It could be just me (and it probably is) but his pro day workouts seem a lot better than his highlight tapes - he may look better on the field than on tape though?

jap

Legend
Clowney can be our DE/DT/LB on defense, our TE/RB on offense, and our KR on special teams---a sextuple threat!!! :ROFLMAO:

RamzFanz

Damnit
I disagree with your agreement of his disagreement.

If Clowney's still on the board at 2 it's Clowney or trade down, imo.

I agree with your disagreement with Alan's agreement with Rams and Gators disagreement with ChrisW.

If Clowney's still on the board at 2 it's Clowney or trade down unless you can't get fair value. Then it's Watkins, imo.

I agree with your disagreement with Alan's agreement with Rams and Gators disagreement with ChrisW.

If Clowney's still on the board at 2 it's Clowney or trade down unless you can't get fair value. Then it's Watkins, imo.

I disagree with your agreement of jjab360's disagreement with Alan's agreement with Rams and Gators disagreement with ChrisW.

Wait now we're just going around in circles.