Jackson puts on 'big-boy pads'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jim Thomas
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 67fd2.html

50b39216e6e87.preview-620.jpg

GLENDALE, ARIZ. • According to Rams left tackle Rodger Saffold, Steven Jackson had one of those “Jackson huddle moments” Sunday against Arizona.

[hil]“It’s where he’s like, ‘OK, I’m gonna take over the game,’ ” Saffold said. “He says, ‘All right, guys, I’m gonna put my big-boy pads on this play.’ And after that you see a huge play.”[/hil]

Jackson’s recollection of what he told the Rams’ offensive linemen before the play Sunday — a third-and-1 run — was more R-rated.

[hil]“I told them, ‘If I hit you in the back, excuse me. I’m just going to be a (jerk) on this run,’ ” Jackson said, laughing. “They said, ‘OK! Let’s go!’ ”[/hil]

The play came with 11½ minutes remaining, with a 28-17 Rams lead, and the ball on the St. Louis 36. Jackson bulled his way off right tackle for 15 yards, for a first down and then some. All told, he carried seven times on the 11-play drive that drained 7 minutes off the clock and drained the life out of Arizona’s defense.

The drive culminated in a 19-yard field goal by Greg Zuerlein that gave the Rams their final points in a 31-17 victory over the Cardinals.

“I try to be that emotional leader,” Jackson said. “I try my best just to make sure that the energy is up for us as a team overall. Any time I get the ball now, I try to make the most of it.”

Jackson carried 24 times for 139 yards Sunday, averaging 5.8 yards a carry. It was Jackson’s highest single-game rushing total since a 159-yard day Oct. 30, 2011, a 31-21 victory over New Orleans. Jackson now has 724 yards rushing this season, and is getting a bead on his eighth consecutive 1,000-yard rushing season. He needs to average just over 55 yards a game in the Rams’ final five games.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
SJ doesn't have the speed or burst he once had, but he still is the heart and soul of this team as far as I'm concerned. How many guys can carry Patrick Willis 4-5 yards to get a first down like he did. Sure would like to see him in the playoffs at least once before he's done. He deserves it if any ram player ever has.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Jackson played one hell of a game.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
Jackson played one hell of a game.
Yes he did. Right now, our running game is as strong as I've seen it (been a fan since the move to Da Lou)