It's time for a change at OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All could have been posted in the Schottenheimer thread that already exists.

Do we really need another thread for this?

I suppose I could have titled it about Cignetti. That is really what I'm getting at here, that the Rams may have a guy with the skills to do the job right under their noses.

I look at it the same way I would at QB at this point. Go with the guy who may be capable of doing the job in the future. Cig deserves a shot IMO, it's just too bad that Fish isn't as decisive with the offense as he is with his defense.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Yeah but Williams lives and dyes by the sword. Blitzing never gets old for me and I blame the players.

Walton played a nutless style of defense that I hated. Style points loom large with me.

We couldnt protect Davis last game and could only run in spirts. Our soft paw QB was throwing with a steady wind, too.

No OC can succeed with all that. I'm only OK with Schotty, very upgradable. I say keep them all. They all saved their jobs by beating Seattle. Thats enough for me.

Blitzing is cool but it works better when the offense is not expecting it. GW is overkilling the blitz making us look foolish.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I don't blame Schottenheimer for the loss woes, but the lack of ascension from our talented players speaks volumes about his ability to run a viable offense. If given the pink slip, I hope we find someone better and not create another Tony Sparano or Marty Morthinweg situation, the Jets offense got progressively worse as Schotty left. I'd like to find an OC who specializes in maximizing output with what we have in our roster. Chip Kelly's Eagles offense mixes Oregon spread and Andy Reid West Coast Offense to maximize the talent with what they have, I want someone who can do the same consistently because he's slowly ruining Tavon's career with these runs up the middle at tailback type plays.

Last edited:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
With the line that we have we shouldn't have to blitz often but we sure as hell need to cover for at least two seconds. Playing off and letting quick completions is taking ourselves out of the game.
Anyway, back to the OP's point. Shotty is like a stuck record or an insane person this year. He finds a play that doesn't work and just keeps on calling it, fooling no one but himself.
He is also pretty poor at finding what his players are good at and using that in the offense. We might be better off with the special teams coach calling the plays. And Hekker was a QB... Hmm...

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
He finds a play that doesn't work and just keeps on calling it, fooling no one but himself.
He is also pretty poor at finding what his players are good at and using that in the offense. We might be better off with the special teams coach calling the plays. And Hekker was a QB... Hmm...

To be fair to schotty, he's got that Corey Harkey play nailed to a Tee haha

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I've been saying to get rid of the current OC since 2012. Everyone laughed at me and said "oh we can't change OC now, can't change because that would ruin Bradford."
Well this is what it has come too. I'm not saying he is the problem, but he is the biggest problem with this offense. He is killing this offense.

iced

I don't see Fisher getting rid of Schotty now or even in the offseason.

i sincerely disagree.....because if he doesn't and we end up with a top 5 pick (Especially with how the porous the defense has been),i wonder if fisher comes back..

fearsomefour

Legend
At this point the thing that bothers me the most about Schotty is Austin....there seems to be no vision there for how to use him. Or it may be on Austin. Maybe he is still limited in what he can be trusted to do in the passing game. Also, with this obvious desire to be a spread/passing offense (despite all the talk of pounding the ball) it has helped create slow starts in my opinion.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I wouldnt call me a Schotty fan but if you look at what he has done with little he has been pretty good. In NY he had a top 10 offense twice with Sanchez at QB. Only once in NY were they not a top 20 offense. With the Rams he has had 3 different QB's.

You can make a case Bradford was playing the best football of his career last year before getting hurt. Clemmens came in and played fairly well after. Now undrafted A. Davis is the QB and who a week ago was our "QB of the future". If we are going to criticize him we should probably give him some credit for what Bradford had done, the offense keeping up last year and the emergence of Austin Davis

If you ask me he has been asked to do a lot with a lot if nothing.

I'm ok with moving on from Schotty but to be fair, he has done a decent job when you consider the cards he has been dealt.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I've been hearing it since ground Chuck.
Heard it about Martz and every OC since as well.

It's not just our Rams. Every board on every other team has fans complaining about their coordinators, it seems.

When it comes right down to it the players have to do their jobs.

…..

Legend
I'm just curious what the Rams talk about during halftime if they arent planning for war in the 3rd and 4th quarters......smh

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I don't think Shotty is that bad.
He's very smart, and sometimes I think he's too smart for his own good. He overthinks it and by doing that he misses adjustments.
When he finds a scab he'll pick it a time or two and move away from it. He might not even go back to it. Most OC's find a weakness they go after it till the other team finds away to stop it. And if they do stop it the have to open another hole up. Like Dallas did with Murray a couple years ago against the Rams, same play over and over 200+ yards worth. Or the Ravens going after Justin King.

He needs to find what works till they stop it and have a counter play.

As far as the players go, they need to execute. But the coaches need to make them. It's the coaches responsibility. If they can't get it out of the players get new players. The players just didn't wander in off the street, the team brought them here.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldnt call me a Schotty fan but if you look at what he has done with little he has been pretty good. In NY he had a top 10 offense twice with Sanchez at QB. Only once in NY were they not a top 20 offense. With the Rams he has had 3 different QB's.
Not sure where you are getting those numbers from, the only top 10 offense I see was when he had Brett Favre as his QB
2006- 18th
2007- 25th
2008- 9th (With Favre)
2009- 17th (Sanchize)
2010- 13th (Sanchize)
2011- 13th (Sanchize)
I've defended Shotty for years, and agree that he's had to endure many QB's Jets: Pennington/Clemens/Favre/Sanchez
But at best his offense has been middle of the pack

V3

Hall of Fame
i sincerely disagree.....because if he doesn't and we end up with a top 5 pick (Especially with how the porous the defense has been),i wonder if fisher comes back..
I hope I'm wrong. I just don't see many times where coaches get rid of their guys. They're usually loyal to a fault. The only reason Fisher got rid of Walton is because Williams is his homeboy. Does Fisher have a homie on the offensive side?

Irish

Starter
Schottenheimer will be the OC as long as Fisher is the HC, which is really unfortunate because it perpetuates the cycle of mediocrity.

When Fisher was announced, I was elated. I thought for sure he was going to give credibility to a position that was sorely lacking from a litany of failures in Spags, Linehan, et all. Fisher's credibility went out the door when his undisciplined teams showed no improvement, his players regressed, and the tune refused to change around the team.

The most disappointing thing, however, is the nepotism that has stained this team. The good old boys club has done exactly zero favors to this franchise since Fisher took the reigns.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think we'll see that change at years end. The Rams have too much offensive potential...and I think it calls for more innovation and imagination offensively.

Some people are limited in being innovative.

I think that I would break down and cry.

But who would be next man up? I was hoping for Norv Turner, but maybe young and innovative is the way to go?

John Shoop is the OC at Purdue and he is doing a lot with nothing. Any others out there?

iced

I hope I'm wrong. I just don't see many times where coaches get rid of their guys. They're usually loyal to a fault. The only reason Fisher got rid of Walton is because Williams is his homeboy. Does Fisher have a homie on the offensive side?

yea i don't believe that for a second - if walton had put together a better defense i think he'd still be here...can only imagine how fisher feels now