It’s the turnovers, stupid.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
If the Rams win the turnover battle against Seattle, they will win the game.

Cliche? Perhaps, but for a team like the Rams, which leads with its defense and is not built for shootouts, its particularly true.

Here are some interesting numbers:

Of the 14 playoff teams, the Rams are 12th in turnover ratio at -3 (only ahead of 8 win Chicago and 7 win Washington) and only Washington has more than the Rams' 25 turnovers.

Here's the Rams' win/loss records relative to turnover ratio:

+2: 2-0
+1: 2-0
0: 3-1
-1: 3-4
-2: 0-1

Could this be any clearer?

This, of course, will likely prompt another conversation about Jared Goff. That's fair, as he has turned the ball over way too frequently. But its also on the OL to protect him, the receivers to get open, and for McVay to call good plays.

Protect the ball, and we advance to Round 2.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is not just something tied to the Rams. Over the past decade the team that wins the turnover battle wins over 75% of the time

Psycho_X

Legend
It's not tied to just Goff it is a team problem on offense and special teams. Turnovers at the worst times seem to be a theme for us this year. One of the first I remember was Kupp fumbling against Eagles, Everett fumbling against the Giants was almost catastrophic, Akers fumbling at goal line yesterday, just to name a few. If Wolford doesn't throw a pick to start his career (i blame McVay here like most people for play call) and Akers doesn't try for something that wasn't there the Rams may win 2x-0 yesterday our defense was that good.

But it highlights your point, with this defense we can beat literally anyone if we protect the ball. Hopefully we got our bad and some times ridiculous turnovers out of the way and we go into the playoffs with a clean slate and let this defense win a championship it is capable of.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Have we even had a game without a turnover? I could have sworn the broadcast crew mentioned that we had a turnover in every game.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is not just something tied to the Rams. Over the past decade the team that wins the turnover battle wins over 75% of the time
Yes, and as I noted, the Rams won 100% of their games in which they won the turnover battle, and 89% when they were even or better (a questionable PI penalty against Buffalo from being at 100%).

So, when you have a great defense (man, I wish it was elite) and a limited offense, the turnover battle is particularly impactful.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, when you have a great defense (man, I wish it was elite)
Are you ever going to be able to move on from the fact that you and I disagreed in a thread or should I just block you? It’s getting old.

Yes, and as I noted, the Rams won 100% of their games in which they won the turnover battle, and 89% when they were even or better (a questionable PI penalty against Buffalo from being at 100%).

So, when you have a great defense (man, I wish it was elite) and a limited offense, the turnover battle is particularly impactful.

I agree with your sentiment that the turnover battle is very important for the rams I was just pointing out it is essentially the most deciding factor in the NFL. Win the turnover battle regardless of who you are and you have essentially a 75%+ chance of winning the game.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Have we even had a game without a turnover? I could have sworn the broadcast crew mentioned that we had a turnover in every game.
Yes, we had a turnover in every game. In the 11 games in which we had only 1, we were 8-3.

We had a takeaway in 11/16 games. In the 5 games in which we had none, we were 2-3.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Are you ever going to be able to move on from the fact that you and I disagreed in a thread or should I just block you? It’s getting old.
Lighten up. I was just yanking your chain.
I agree with your sentiment that the turnover battle is very important for the rams I was just pointing out it is essentially the most deciding factor in the NFL. Win the turnover battle regardless of who you are and you have essentially a 75%+ chance of winning the game.
Of course, but the Rams, unfortunately, have one of the weakest offenses among the playoff teams, so ball control is at a premium.

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
It's just a dream at this point but I'm hoping like with our last playoff run, that defense had problems all year and then come the playoff time they were ready to PLAY. I'm hoping our O gets the same fire lit under their butt now, especially the O line. In reality I'm expecting very little but a girl can dream

Last edited:

matt30

Rookie
Name
Matt
If the Rams win the turnover battle against Seattle, they will win the game.

Cliche? Perhaps, but for a team like the Rams, which leads with its defense and is not built for shootouts, its particularly true.

Here are some interesting numbers:

Of the 14 playoff teams, the Rams are 12th in turnover ratio at -3 (only ahead of 8 win Chicago and 7 win Washington) and only Washington has more than the Rams' 25 turnovers.

Here's the Rams' win/loss records relative to turnover ratio:

+2: 2-0
+1: 2-0
0: 3-1
-1: 3-4
-2: 0-1

Could this be any clearer?

This, of course, will likely prompt another conversation about Jared Goff. That's fair, as he has turned the ball over way too frequently. But its also on the OL to protect him, the receivers to get open, and for McVay to call good plays.

Protect the ball, and we advance to Round 2.

This doesn't really tell us much though. Good D's generate turnovers. Whether it's from good coverage, a strong pass rush, good game planning, ect. It's not just about mistakes. The Steelers, the best defense in the NFL right now, also has the most turnovers recovered.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Win the turnover battle, win the game.
Unless of course you're the Cardinals
Playing the Rams....