It's harder than ever to make the right pick in the Draft --Robinson/Havenstein

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
It's harder than ever to make the right pick in the NFL Draft
By Danny Kelly

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/...-spread-offense-linemen-quarterbacks-adapting

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- Scouting and projecting players from college to the NFL is a vexing proposition. There's a reason that NFL general managers get paid the big bucks and personnel departments league-wide have to navigate the minefield of the NFL Draft each year in building the foundation for winning rosters.

As a basic concept, it's tough enough to scout college players -- you're dealing with human beings. As Seahawks GM John Schneider said on Wednesday, "the hardest part of scouting is knowing what's truly in a man's heart." People change. Motivation matters. Resiliency and grit can be just as important as talent.

But over the last decade, the biggest challenge for talent evaluators is the proliferation of the spread offense in college football. It means an already tough projection becomes almost guesswork for NFL teams when trying to decide if a particular player will be a good pro.

This was a common refrain in Indianapolis at the NFL Combine on Wednesday.

Speaking a new language

Gary Kubiak, head coach of the Super Bowl Champion Broncos, addressed this concept when asked about the future of the quarterback position in Denver. "A lot of [scouting quarterbacks] is projecting guys going under center," said Kubiak. "I know that sounds simple, but that is a little bit more of a conversion than you would think."

The timing changes. The amount of time a quarterback has to look at the defense changes; he turns his back on them in some cases. The footwork changes. It can be difficult to adjust to because the NFL is a much faster game.

"I think [the challenge becomes] studying guys that play in the gun the whole time," Kubiak continued, "trying to project them to what you do, making the conversion, how quick they can make it, it might be a little harder as a coach to make that decision as compared to watching a guy do the type of things that you do for three or four years in college. I think that's part of the tough part. You're looking for the ability to do things more than anything.

"It's your job as a coach once you get that to fit them to the type of system for what they do best to what your team does best."

It can be a crap shoot. And the physical skills -- footwork, throwing from different angles, the play-action fake, etc., are just the start of that.

Schneider talked at some length about how a spread offense quarterback who, like the rest of the offense, takes his playcalls from the sideline, will have to learn "a new language" in calling pro-style plays in the huddle. You have to learn how to speak "West Coast Offense." Playcalls can be long, tongue-twisting and very confusing. The quarterback has to command respect in the huddle, and it doesn't inspire a ton of confidence if he can barely remember how to call a play.

As Schneider said, it makes evaluating quarterbacks for the NFL kind of difficult, because a lot of guys are "looking over at the sideline and seeing pictures of Daffy Duck and stuff" to find out what they're running.

That's why teams often look at other attributes during the Combine process.

"There's so much that goes into [the quarterback] position that you can't see on film," said 49ers GM Trent Baalke. "That's why you've got to get the coaches with him, sit down, talk ball, do as much research into their work ethic, their preparation habits, their intelligence."

Quarterback isn't the only position group that presents a challenge. The frequent use of the spread offense affects the evaluations of nearly every position.

"It is obviously a hurry-up," explained Steelers GM Kevin Colbert. "There's usually not a huddle, there's not a lot of adjustments that are made, there's not a lot of sight adjustments that receivers have to make. So I think there's a huge learning curve and it just takes a little longer.

"The colleges won't change, because they're doing what they need to do to win football games. It's our job to take the talent and work with it, but it's a little longer than if they're coming from a traditional offense for sure."

It's a difference in style that can be seen across the board.

"It really affects everything," said Colbert. "The offensive line plays different, the receivers are different. The tight ends, instead of being attached to a formation, they could be flexed in the slot and they're used for the blocking on the perimeter. The running backs have different reads, they have different run lanes."

Learning to block all over again

Titans GM Jon Robinson added that offensive line is very difficult to evaluate as well.

"You see the college game and the tight ends, most of those guys now are flexed out," he said, "and a lot of the offensive linemen, they're not necessarily asked to run off the ball and sit a guy up and try to move a five-technique three yards down the field. They're kind of asked to just zone and occupy and let the backs cut off the blocks. So you really have to dig through those plays where you can really see him unroll his hips and dig his cleats in and really get moving."

It's a quick-strike, finesse game vs. a straight ahead, powerful smashmouth style. The offensive line issue was a very common complaint.

"It is more difficult, I think, because of the types of things [offensive linemen] are doing," said Kubiak. "Especially watching them in the run game. When they are in the spread game it's a little bit of a different type of run game as far as watching a guy come off the ball and power-type football and those types of things. I think evaluating their football knowledge [is important]."

As Raiders head coach Jack Del Rio pointed out, it's not just an offensive lineman's responsibilities in run game that can change going to the NFL. It can be a completely different technique.

"What you see are fewer and fewer college offensive linemen getting in three-point stances and doing some of the combination blocks we do in the NFL," said Del Rio.

Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians pointed out that it's really a matter of re-teaching linemen the basics: "You're drafting a guy right now coming out of some colleges that haven't been in a three-point stance since high school, and you're going to pay him a ton of money. It's fundamentals that we're going back now and have to teach. We never had to teach it before. Great athletes. The athletes are much, much better, but the fundamentals are worse than they've ever been."

Take Los Angeles Rams lineman Greg Robinson for example. The second overall pick in the 2014 Draft, a star at Auburn, he was (and is) a physical freak of nature, but his development has taken quite a bit longer than expected based on his inexperience in a pro-style system. It doesn't help that the Rams moved him around to different positions at the start of his career.

On the other side of the coin, take Rams tackle Rob Havenstein, who is decidedly not a physical freak of nature. After being selected in the second round last year, he was handed the starting right tackle job and excelled in that role as a rookie. He had the advantage of being well versed in a pro-style system coming out of Wisconsin. Many Stanford alums share the same short-term advantage.

Patience is a virtue

"We drafted D.J. [Humphries] last year knowing we were going to redshirt him because we had so much to teach him," explained Arians, on the Cardinals' first-round pick. "If we threw him out there, he was going to fail. Once they fail, it's hard to get those scars off. He didn't dress a game -- purposefully -- just to get better and better. Going against guys like Dwight Miller and Calais (Campbell) in practice, he got better every week. I think next year he'll be ready to play."

Washington State tackle Joe Dahl, who projects as a guard in the pros, talked to reporters Wednesday about learning to play out of the three-point stance and his comfort level with that. Coming from Mike Leach's air raid offense means that Dahl is going to have to start pretty much from scratch in extended pass-protection sets and especially in the run game. The same could be said for Texas A&M tackle Germain Ifedi and Texas Tech tackle Le'Raven Clark, for instance.

If a team takes a spread offensive lineman early, don't get your hopes up that he'll immediately become a star in his new system.

"The way we play in the National Football League, it's always a projection," said Arians. "Any time you're evaluating college players, regardless of the system, it's a projection. That's part of the business and that's what makes it fun, difficult and challenging."

College coaches and programs aren't responsible for preparing their players for the NFL. They're responsible for winning games, and with limited development time, the spread offense has been extremely effective. Whether it means changing the playbook, giving players more time to develop or some combination of the two, the NFL has to find a way to adapt.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Drafting isn't an exact science but second guessing the people who do it sure does seem to attract a lot of "experts". At the time of the Robinson pick the majority opinion was he was a great athlete who needed to be coached up but would eventually be a good LT. So after one year of training camp as a LT and one year as a starting LT he's declared a bust.

The Havenstein pick was largely ridiculed and considered a huge reach. Yet after one year, minus three games, he is considered a good player and the pick is celebrated.

It's funny how the self appointed experts work.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Many of us have basically been saying the thrust of this article for years now.

Hopefully, it's no longer a controversial point...

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Drafting isn't an exact science but second guessing the people who do it sure does seem to attract a lot of "experts". At the time of the Robinson pick the majority opinion was he was a great athlete who needed to be coached up but would eventually be a good LT. So after one year of training camp as a LT and one year as a starting LT he's declared a bust.

The Havenstein pick was largely ridiculed and considered a huge reach. Yet after one year, minus three games, he is considered a good player and the pick is celebrated.

It's funny how the self appointed experts work.

What folks don't take into account is that iirc, GRob only started something like 18 games at LT. That's it. He was raw, raw, raw. Havenstein started nearly FIFTY. And that was nearly fifty in a pro-style offense, not Auburn's spread.

That 32 game difference (two NFL seasons) is basically why GRob is so far behind.

I think GRob is set to have a solid season this year. Havenstein just needs to stay solid.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's harder than ever to make the right pick in the NFL Draft
By Danny Kelly
Take Los Angeles Rams lineman Greg Robinson for example. The second overall pick in the 2014 Draft, a star at Auburn, he was (and is) a physical freak of nature, but his development has taken quite a bit longer than expected based on his inexperience in a pro-style system. It doesn't help that the Rams moved him around to different positions at the start of his career.

On the other side of the coin, take Rams tackle Rob Havenstein, who is decidedly not a physical freak of nature. After being selected in the second round last year, he was handed the starting right tackle job and excelled in that role as a rookie. He had the advantage of being well versed in a pro-style system coming out of Wisconsin. Many Stanford alums share the same short-term advantage.
The RED BODED comment that the Rams moved GRob around to different OL positions. OK GRob was a left side starter in his college @ LEFT OT. Once drafted he was trained in Training Camp, pre season & early regular season between two side by side posts. He got the opportunity to start his 1st two NFL games @ the OLG post. After the injury to Long he move a few feet left back to his original OLT post. Now who really thinks that the training, guidance & direction he received @ OLG was the issue that slowed & hampered his development?

If it were me & I looked up & saw Stanford's interior OL'er Joshua Garnett still on the board @ #76 I would leap to the podium to make him a Ram,even though we sure do not need any more rookie OG's. I would bring him in & advise him he was going to be our new game day interior back up @ both OG & Center. I telling you guys he is going to be good for a long time for some NFL team. I have no ideal if he has ever played center but he would be Tim Barnes pushmate.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The RED BODED comment that the Rams moved GRob around to different OL positions. OK GRob was a left side starter in his college @ LEFT OT. Once drafted he was trained in Training Camp, pre season & early regular season between two side by side posts. He got the opportunity to start his 1st two NFL games @ the OLG post. After the injury to Long he move a few feet left back to his original OLT post. Now who really thinks that the training, guidance & direction he received @ OLG was the issue that slowed & hampered his development?

The issue to me at least, and I'm far from an expert self appointed or earned, is that GRob was drafted as a raw prospect that needed to be coached up to be a pro. He only started in college for two years which puts him behind a lot of the people that are being lauded as better than him.

Also you make it sound like it was easy as can be that it was simply moving a couple feet over. By your statement I quoted every OLG should be just as good at OLT. There's no difference in play style or skill set required to play each, yes I know I'm simplifying your statement but you're also seriously simplifying the difference between a LT and a LG.

Which brings be back full circle to my first response, he wasn't just coached in playing OLG and moved over. In fact he was coached at both LT and LG. So here we have a raw player in need of coaching and what do we do? We overload him making him learn 2 positions. IIRC when he described the blocking scheme at Auburn he had to remember 3 or 4 different ways to block on running plays. Fisher and company instead of recognizing this kid needed help in the classroom and working him through it threw two positions on him to learn at once. Personally having been somebody who trained/coached people for jobs I think they'd have been better to exclusively let him learn the LG position. Build him up to be good at one position and it being the LG position because we all know we had Long set at LT, or so we though prior to yet another injury to him. Make him learn just one, learn the pro offense and learn to pro game make him good at one thing. Then if you have to you've got a guy who's a pro with a background at a 2nd position than the one he became a pro at and he can try to adjust his experience with his newly learned pro game. But again I'm far from an expert at football, except Sundays when the Rams are on and I'm in the chatroom :D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
"I know I'm simplifying your statement but you're also seriously simplifying the difference between a LT and a LG."

Yes you sure did & yes I tried to use as few words as possible to convey my point that the so called movement left OG to left OT as stated by the writer played the major role in GRob's 2 seasons worth of issues. I certainly do disagree with his assessment. As you pointed out well there is so much more involved.;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I thought I would get back to this GRob issue in discussion OLG to OLT movement. I thought it should be brought out that if we look deeper now to what happen there we would recall that when GRob was drafted we had just signed the former all pro Jake Long to a long term contract in 2013 season. Jake had just completed his first season in 2013 as a Ram on that contract & was injured on the last game of his initial Ram season. Once Long was carted off the field Rodger Saffold as planned replaced JL in the line up @ OLT as starter.

Now onto 2014 season ....Rams 100% solid go plan was JL @ starting OLT. They also had just recently resigned former starting OLT & top reserve OLT Rodger Saffold to a new 4 yr contract. Now GRob enters the scene in TC of 2014 here's what he came into..... Rams had 3 OT's (Barksdale, Long, Person). OC was handled by Wells/Barnes. Barrett Jones was suppose to be the OC/OG interior backup however he was injured thus the OG's were just Saffold & Joseph. Another problem @ OG was Joseph was a shell of his past self & was weak reserve at best & a real problem if he was forced into full time duty.

Now we can see why Boudreau would take the talented rookie & work GRob in both left side posts. As it stood there was no real need for GRob to be pressed into a heavy dose of OLT play due to the fact of Long-Saffold-Person & even Barksdale had seen action @ OLT post. The real critical issue for the Rams team was @ OG. Might want to remind ourselves too that our starting center almost died in July of 2014. So he missed all of TC & most all of pre season & was in a weakened stated. Tim Barnes had been getting most all the action @ center due to a Demetrius Rhaney knee injury. Davin Joseph has played ORG his entire career & Saffold was dominant @ ORG late in 2013 so where was the hole @ on the OL? OLG!

GRob had always been a left side OL'er & as stated above played in offense in Auburn that required a heavy dose of run blocking with little pass blocking involved from the OLT post. I wonder what NFL OL post would permit GRob to get on the field faster & where can GRob help his team from? Now we might understand better why GRob was worked in those two posts. I sure can not find fault with the manner in which the Ram handled GRob here.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The Havenstein pick was largely ridiculed and considered a huge reach. Yet after one year, minus three games, he is considered a good player and the pick is celebrated. ... It's funny how the self appointed experts work.
I think there's a huge difference between the media self-appointed experts and fans. I hate when the media second-guesses as if their opinion is fact. But I think fans can have fun voicing an opinion. I voiced that I didn't like the Havenstein reach at the time. But I wasn't anti-Havenstein -- I simply felt they maybe could have gotten him a round later and could have also got AJ Cann. It's not that I didn't want Havenstein, but I greedily wanted him and more. But apparently the Rams were worried Tennessee was about to take Havenstein so pulled the trigger, and that's fine. But draft strategy should be fair game to discuss, it plays a part in evaluating a pick, not just whether the pick is a good player or not. Just like Sebastian Janikowski is a good kicker, but I still think it was dumb to pick him first.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think there's a huge difference between the media self-appointed experts and fans. I hate when the media second-guesses as if their opinion is fact. But I think fans can have fun voicing an opinion. I voiced that I didn't like the Havenstein reach at the time. But I wasn't anti-Havenstein -- I simply felt they maybe could have gotten him a round later and could have also got AJ Cann. It's not that I didn't want Havenstein, but I greedily wanted him and more. But apparently the Rams were worried Tennessee was about to take Havenstein so pulled the trigger, and that's fine. But draft strategy should be fair game to discuss, it plays a part in evaluating a pick, not just whether the pick is a good player or not. Just like Sebastian Janikowski is a good kicker, but I still think it was dumb to pick him first.

The prob was the Rams allowed themselves to enter the draft with extreme need on the OL. That meant the guys they targeted as immediate help types were guys they could not afford to screw around with. Havenstein in particular was said to be a reach, but we really don't know because the Rams might not have been the only team that coveted him. They certainly were correct about him, though, he's already one of the best young RTs in the game so that was an impact selection.

This year it's going to be the same deal with QB and WR. While I think the Rams will address WR in FA, they're going to enter the draft with significant need at both positions. So whatever guys they target, there will definitely be the risk of reaches or perhaps perceived reaches. But just like with Havenstein all that really matters is they HIT on the picks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The prob was the Rams allowed themselves to enter the draft with extreme need on the OL. That meant the guys they targeted as immediate help types were guys they could not afford to screw around with. Havenstein in particular was said to be a reach, but we really don't know because the Rams might not have been the only team that coveted him. They certainly were correct about him, though, he's already one of the best young RTs in the game so that was an impact selection.

This year it's going to be the same deal with QB and WR. While I think the Rams will address WR in FA, they're going to enter the draft with significant need at both positions. So whatever guys they target, there will definitely be the risk of reaches or perhaps perceived reaches. But just like with Havenstein all that really matters is they HIT on the picks.

As we know most all teams face this each & every off season. The only change is where the weak spots are at on the team yr to yr. Rams just happen to have a HD amount of our own top starters no longer under contract than any other time that I can remember. No ideal at this point where the Rams weak spots will be the last of April of this yr.

I would think your right that no matter what Snead does here in free agency QB & WR would be no brainers as "extreme need". If DE Rob Quinn is damaged & unhealthy you will see a pass rusher added to the above two. The more picks we have the more chances of "HIT" on the picks. If we trade most of our picks (as most members desire) sure could dramatically increase the NON Hits with the paltry left selections.

Right now I am a strong advocate a UFA signing of a veteran Ryan Fitzgerald type QB to release the critical damaging pressure going into this Aprils draft for a top QB. I do think that there is a much better possibility of a selection of a Paxton Lynch than the other two. Rams could develop a Plan A that if Paxton drops out of the top 10 they would use that extra 2nd rd pick to move up to secure him with our #15 pick i.e. similar to jrry32 mock most recent mock. Plan B would be to secure one of the next tier QB's on day two along with the Ryan Fitzgerald type UFA purchase.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Right now I am a strong advocate a UFA signing of a veteran Ryan Fitzgerald type QB to release the critical damaging pressure going into this Aprils draft for a top QB. I do think that there is a much better possibility of a selection of a Paxton Lynch than the other two. Rams could develop a Plan A that if Paxton drops out of the top 10 they would use that extra 2nd rd pick to move up to secure him with our #15 pick i.e. similar to jrry32 mock most recent mock. Plan B would be to secure one of the next tier QB's on day two along with the Ryan Fitzgerald type UFA purchase.

I just see Fitz as more of the same low-end options we are already dealing with in Keenum and Foles. Going out and paying him to come in and give us more of the same means this team is going to be stuck in mediocrity IMO. Last year was the first for him where he strung together play without self-destructing after a few games, so he represents just as much risk as Bradford but for different reasons. And then going with a lower QB prospect in the draft that is going to need even more work in conjunction with him only serves to exacerbate the problem. I mean I like some of the second and third tier QBs in this draft very much, but they do not make the same throws in the face of pressure that Goff does, and as much as I like some of them I don't think any end up measuring up to the career Goff is about to have.

Rams need to break that mold my friend. They need to boldly change the dynamics at QB by moving up and taking the guy they want, vice sitting back and letting other teams dictate what they'll get with the most important position on the field. Goff at 4 is a nice projected target position, as I think there is a reasonable chance he makes it there and I think the Cowboys would be open to moving down to 15. Jared Goff would change everything for us. For the next decade. And if they have a deal set in principle for 4 overall and the Browns take Goff? As unlikely as that is it still leaves the Rams with a supremely talented, big and confident QB in Wentz.

But what if 2 QBs go before 4 overall? Well in that case I'd wait to see if Lynch gets by SF. If he does, then I'd move in front of Philly for him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just see Fitz as more of the same low-end options we are already dealing with in Keenum and Foles. Going out and paying him to come in and give us more of the same means this team is going to be stuck in mediocrity IMO. Last year was the first for him where he strung together play without self-destructing after a few games, so he represents just as much risk as Bradford but for different reasons. And then going with a lower QB prospect in the draft that is going to need even more work in conjunction with him only serves to exacerbate the problem. I mean I like some of the second and third tier QBs in this draft very much, but they do not make the same throws in the face of pressure that Goff does, and as much as I like some of them I don't think any end up measuring up to the career Goff is about to have.

Rams need to break that mold my friend. They need to boldly change the dynamics at QB by moving up and taking the guy they want, vice sitting back and letting other teams dictate what they'll get with the most important position on the field. Goff at 4 is a nice projected target position, as I think there is a reasonable chance he makes it there and I think the Cowboys would be open to moving down to 15. Jared Goff would change everything for us. For the next decade. And if they have a deal set in principle for 4 overall and the Browns take Goff? As unlikely as that is it still leaves the Rams with a supremely talented, big and confident QB in Wentz.

But what if 2 QBs go before 4 overall? Well in that case I'd wait to see if Lynch gets by SF. If he does, then I'd move in front of Philly for him.
Well you know my position on the top two QB's they will be long gone real early. I'm just not ready like the majority here to mortgage the Rams future on one prospect. I have seen that rodeo way too many times in my NFL football life. At my age I do pride myself on using what I have learned in my often wrong past to assist me for what lies ahead. Anyway If it up to me refuse to go in that path.

And anything less than a mortgaged LA Ram future is not going to get you those two top QB's period.