'It's going to be weird without Whit': Rams adjusting to life without Andrew Whitworth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

'It's going to be weird without Whit': Rams adjusting to life without Andrew Whitworth​

Andrew Whitworth was the left tackle for the Los Angeles Rams for five seasons, but somehow it felt like more.

Whitworth joined the Rams in 2017, when they were coming off a 4-12 season, playing in the aging Los Angeles Coliseum and quarterbacked by Jared Goff. By time he retired earlier this month, the Rams were Super Bowl champions, playing in the most modern of NFL stadiums at SoFi Stadium and quarterbacked by Matthew Stafford.

It's going to take the Rams a little while to get used to a world without him.

"It's a new era of Rams offensive line," center Brian Allen said. "It's going to be weird without Whit there."

The Rams have been grooming his replacement, Joe Noteboom -- a third-round draft pick in 2018 -- the past four seasons. Noteboom has played various offensive line positions, started a total of 17 regular-season games and was recently re-signed by the Rams to a three-year, $40 million contract with $25 million guaranteed.

"The best part is knowing the coaches have the confidence in you to sign you back to a contract here and put you in that spot," Noteboom said. "But it's also a challenge. Being the guy now comes with a little more responsibility. It's motivating more than ever."

Noteboom said his four seasons as Whitworth's teammate weren't wasted. He said he learned things such as work habits, preparing his body for a long season and diet from the veteran tackle.

"It was a perfect situation [to learn]," Noteboom said. "There was no other guy in the league I'd rather have been behind for those four years. That gives me confidence going into it."

Noteboom played some at both tackle spots and left guard last season, his first with Stafford as his teammate.

"He's a plug-and-play player for us," Stafford said. "Wherever we needed him, he stepped in and played at a high level against some really quality opponents. I'm looking forward to seeing his development on the left side and seeing him do his thing for a bunch of years."

Allen and Noteboom arrived the same season as Rams draft picks. Allen said Noteboom was "the left tackle in waiting" over the past four years even as he moved around the offensive line.

"I think that left tackle spot really is where he'll shine the most," Allen said. "I'm pumped for him to have this opportunity to really be the guy. ... He absorbed so much wisdom and so much stuff that Whit taught him over those four years."

Allen also re-signed with the Rams this year, on a three-year contract for $18 million, with $10 million guaranteed.

"It was definitely a little more stressful than I thought it was going to be ... being my first time having gone through free agency so I really wasn't sure what to expect or really what I was getting myself into," he said. "But I wanted to be back in L.A. and I'm excited about how things unfolded.

"I really didn't want to leave not knowing how much better I could be in our offense. That was definitely something that was in the back of my mind that I didn’t want to go somewhere and be in a situation where I didn't have someone like Matt to work with ... he'd be a hard person to let know you were leaving."

Losing Whitworth isn't the only change coming to the Rams on offense. They also traded wide receiver Robert Woods to the Tennessee Titans for a sixth-round pick in 2023. But they added another receiver, Allen Robinson II, in free agency with a three-year, $46.5 million contact and re-signed Stafford to a four-year contract extension worth $160 million.

The Rams could still re-sign wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., though he won't be available early next season after tearing his ACL in the Rams' Super Bowl LVI victory over the Cincinnati Bengals.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Looking forward to seeing what Boom does with this opportunity. Hoping for a year where he crushes it, stays healthy all year and becomes the next rock at LT.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think Whitworth will be on speed-dial this season so long as he remains in shape, ... I wouldn't want to jinx things but we've had seasons before where injuries have taken a serious toll, so while I'd rather not contemplate it, having someone like Whitworth in the background who keeps working out in his garage with our current offensive linemen may just provide a good bit of insurance.

I'm still very curious who ends up replacing Austin Corbett at RG ?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
We can talk about Stafford, Ramsey, Woods, etc. But Whitworth was pretty much just as much an impact. He stabilized that side for 5 seasons. I have confidence Noteboom can hold his own there. Maybe not like Whitworth but we do have a good quarterback who can handle pressure now.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I think Whitworth will be on speed-dial this season so long as he remains in shape, ... I wouldn't want to jinx things but we've had seasons before where injuries have taken a serious toll, so while I'd rather not contemplate it, having someone like Whitworth in the background who keeps working out in his garage with our current offensive linemen may just provide a good bit of insurance.

I'm still very curious who ends up replacing Austin Corbett at RG ?
He’ll probably be on speed dial for sure but I would say mostly as a resource or a sounding board. Working out in the dojo is one thing but trying to get a 40 year old body in nfl shape sounds like a lot to ask.
Whit seems like someone who will have plenty going on. I could see him becoming a motivational speaker or something. Brady talked about finally giving his attention to his wife and kids after all these years and he never explained how he could go back on that, Whit told his kids he was going to be around more too, he doesn’t seem like the type to go back on his word.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My only concern about Noteboom's ability at Left Tackle is his availability...

If he can keep himself healthy and not miss time, I feel pretty confident he'll do a good job.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
He’ll probably be on speed dial for sure but I would say mostly as a resource or a sounding board. Working out in the dojo is one thing but trying to get a 40 year old body in nfl shape sounds like a lot to ask.
Whit seems like someone who will have plenty going on. I could see him becoming a motivational speaker or something. Brady talked about finally giving his attention to his wife and kids after all these years and he never explained how he could go back on that, Whit told his kids he was going to be around more too, he doesn’t seem like the type to go back on his word.

I'd love nothing more than to keep Whitworth on as a Rams Assistant OL Coach, although this season he might be more of a sideline consultant, but the man is a physical freak, so I won't overlook the possibility of a return if an injury dictates his need. McVay kept Whit well rested during the pre and regular season, as a less used reserve player I believe he'll be just fine for 2022, and without much of a fallout in ability. Still, I suspect Alaric Jackson would be the first man up if Noteboom were injured, with Whit only coming in if both were somehow unavailable. LT is not a position I'm currently worried about.
jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have plenty of concerns about Boom but I am also hopeful he's ready to do the job at a high level. Next man up is part of this game, gotta roll the dice sometimes especially when you're paying out big contracts to top level players. If he can be above average we're gonna be fine.

sloramfan

Starter
I have zero concerns about noteboom.....

he has already done the job at a high level...

it's why the rams paid the man...

and finally, he is well above average...

go rams

slo

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Whitworth on standby is smart, for options on any OL need… who knows how you plug things?

This is his first year of retirement... Finding time to workout and stay in shape will be a piece of cake. Even keeping that promise to his kids.

And if needed we are talking a Weddle type deal… very late in season… and probably only for 2022 with a guy as old as Whitworth.

Put that plan together, Rams!

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Whitworth on standby is smart, for options on any OL need… who knows how you plug things?

This is his first year of retirement... Finding time to workout and stay in shape will be a piece of cake. Even keeping that promise to his kids.

And if needed we are talking a Weddle type deal… very late in season… and probably only for 2022 with a guy as old as Whitworth.

Put that plan together, Rams!

It's a neat idea but Whitworth has stated that right now his workouts are completely geared towards losing mass. He wants his body to be in good golf shape, take weight off his joints, etc.

Has stated that's his new goal and motivation that he is working towards. I am sure that he is already well on his way.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's a neat idea but Whitworth has stated that right now his workouts are completely geared towards losing mass. He wants his body to be in good golf shape, take weight off his joints, etc.

Has stated that's his new goal and motivation that he is working towards. I am sure that he is already well on his way.

I did not see that. Thanks for passing along.

Well, there's that.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I have confidence in Noteboom and if this works out, the Rams are going to look like Nostradamus. Draft 2 guys in 2018 for important OL positions, let them learn and develop, then sign them to very affordable contracts for the next 3 years. That is drafting for the future. Alaric J. looks like a keeper too. Wondering about Anchrum who Dabo said 'can play any position on the OL well'. We could be set for years and all that angst about drafting OL could be in the past.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

So if Higbee gets injured Whitworth comes in at TE!

I think my least favorite part of being a Rams fan over the next 3-5 years is how tired I'm going to get of hearing about how every player that retires from us is planning on coming back if injuries like up at that position. Thanks Weddle. No seriously, thanks for the championship.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
But if boom starts booming strong just maybe it won't be as weird. But Whit's pretty tough to top with that consistency of his. I can remember Whit getting beat on a play here and there throughout his Rams tenure, but not beaten in an entire game.

nighttrain

Legend

Was the same deal with regards to Center Sullivan..
train

Flint

Pro Bowler

The transformation some of these linemen go through after they’re done playing can be pretty dramatic, having that much mass can definitely be detrimental to your health. Some of these guys, Jeff Saturday comes to mind, have gone from being enormous to unrecognizably normal sized.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The transformation some of these linemen go through after they’re done playing can be pretty dramatic, having that much mass can definitely be detrimental to your health. Some of these guys, Jeff Saturday comes to mind, have gone from being enormous to unrecognizably normal sized.

John Sullivan is a perfect example.The Rams have built good teams & chances to win since Mcvay became HC. That was a HUGE mistake on Mcvay’s part for cutting him. Big time.
Big Whit &!The Rams addressed it before. Andrew Whitworth will forever tell you that as well if you want to walk down history.
What Eric Weedle just did was FREAKING amazing & Big Whit will tell you that.I believe Big Whit knows how fast John Sullivan lost weight & how Eric Weedle was able to stay in shape & ready,never believing he would have won a SuperBowl.

Wayne Gretzky told Big Whit ,it’s GREAT winning a Championship,but even Greater winning 2.
The relationship Mcvay & Whit have is Excellent.The question is where does Big Whit live & raise his family.
He knows the choices,but I’d say he doesn’t loss all that weight just yet.
Andrew Whitworth is a HOF player,if he was to comeback & win another SuperBowl that puts him even more of an a elite status.He doesn’t want to put in the 17 game Grind it takes to do it at 40 plus.
If that chance comes up in December/January he might be ready?
It’s not like if that situation pops up Rhe Rams will be afraid to call Big Whit up.Mcvay already has him on speed dial.