It's Bubble Bowl time for Rams roster hopefuls/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
It's Bubble Bowl time for Rams roster hopefuls
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_bb6d9767-81d9-5f13-8306-5f79d0016199.html

In high school, linebacker Cameron Lynch won a state championship playing for his Brookwood High team of Lawrenceville, Ga.

In college, he played in bowl games at Syracuse, including a Pinstripe Bowl victory over current teammates Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey of the West Virginia Mountaineers.

On Thursday, however, he plays in the Bubble Bowl, otherwise known as the Rams’ preseason finale against Kansas City at the Edward Jones Dome. Kickoff is 7 p.m. for the almost annual Governor’s Cup contest between the Rams and Chiefs.

In terms of Lynch’s future in the sport, Thursday’s game has more meaning than those other milestone contests. In short he, needs to play the game of his life to make the Rams’ 53-man roster — the roster they will carry into the regular season.

“I told my dad that the other day,” Lynch said, “this is a make it or break it type deal. This is gonna be like a state championship or bowl game for me. I’m gonna treat it just like that. So I’ll try to fly around and make some plays.”

He’s not the only one with that in mind. There are maybe 25 to 30 players competing for just a handful of available remaining roster spots.

Lynch is competing with Bryce Hager and Marshall McFadden for what figures to be one or two remaining roster spots at linebacker.

At cornerback, Montell Garner and Trovon Reed remain in the running to nab the fifth cornerback spot.

Justice Cunningham and Alex Bayer are going to the wire for a fourth tight end spot, if the Rams indeed keep four tight ends.

There are still some roster spots to be sorted out on the offensive line. Can former minor league baseball outfielder Bradley Marquez nab a sixth wide receiver spot? And at quarterback, can Austin Davis beat what looks to be very long odds for a third spot on the final 53?

“Every week I play like it’s the Super Bowl ’cause you never know,” said Garner, the undrafted rookie cornerback from South Alabama. “This game right here, I’m gonna approach it like I’ve approached the other games — just going out there and having fun.

“I know this is a business, but this is football. I always think of it as fun. I try not to think about it like it’s a job. I don’t let my highs get too high; I don’t let my lows get too low. Just start grounded and trust the process.”

In the big picture for the Rams, the top priority against Kansas City simply is to avoid injury. With the regular season so close, even a garden variety ankle sprain could jeopardize a player’s availability for Sept. 13 against Seattle.

Priority No. 2 is deciding on the final few roster spots.

“Fifty-three’s not going to be easy,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “Those are good problems to have. In years past, our first and second year (with the Rams), we could pretty much look at the start of camp and get to 55. So we have some tough decisions to make.”

Since taking the Rams’ job in 2012, Fisher has played the preseason finale in a variety of ways. In 2012, he opened the final exhibition contest (against Baltimore) with basically his entire starting lineup out there, and they played quite a bit. Quarterback Sam Bradford, for example, threw 16 passes.

Last season at Miami, there wasn’t a single opening-day starter in the lineup against the Dolphins.

As for 2013, also against Baltimore, it was somewhere in between with eight regular-season starters in the lineup.

This time around, it looks like Fisher is leaning toward the 2013 model. That is, partial use of starters to open the game. The plan calls for quarterback Nick Foles to play a series or two against Kansas City. And if Foles is in the game, you can bet that most of the other offensive starters will be out there as well, particularly the line.

Fisher indicated Tuesday that some of the younger offensive line starters could play a little longer. On defense, it’s likely the Rams will rest more starters, especially in the front seven.

That leaves plenty of playing time for bubble guys such as Lynch and Garner, and others hoping to grab one of the final spots on the 53-man roster, or at least one of the 10 practice squad slots available.

This year’s last round of cuts lacks the drama of the 2014 version, when University of Missouri star Michael Sam was attempting to become the first openly gay player to make an NFL regular-season roster.

But that doesn’t make this year’s decisions any less dramatic for the bubble players. Garner’s parents are coming to the game; his father, Milton, played cornerback for Kansas in the mid-1980s and has been teaching him the ins and outs of playing the position since his Pee Wee League days.

“I used to watch old film of my dad,” Garner said. “You’ve got to play with a lot of confidence, and you’ve got to have short-term memory. He taught me his ways and stuff, and I’ve been playing it ever since.”

Lynch wants to get into broadcasting when his playing days are over. While at Syracuse, his weekly Cam’s Cam video segment took a behind-the-scenes look at his Syracuse football teammates.

“We would do different stuff, like a cooking show type thing,” Lynch said. “OK, you’re chef of the team. What do you like to cook?”

Lynch hopes to keep his football career cooking and his broadcasting career on the back burner for as long as possible.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If I were Fish I'd have GRob out there the entire first half, and Battle the second half. Battle is going to make this team and both of those LTs need reps bad.

I would not risk Jones tbh. Let Barnes get a showcase since he's either gonna win the job or face the turk. Rhaney I'd like to see get a look in the first half at OG and then let him take the 2nd half as center.

Brown and Havenstein they need to be careful with. I'd let both have some snaps early on and only if Foles is in the game. I have little concern with either personally.

From there I really want to see Donnal and Wichmann and how they handle themselves. Hopefully both get a lot of looks for the staff to make the best decisions.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
It'll be a good battle between Lynch and Hager. Hager leads the team in tackles right now with 15 and Lynch is no slouch either with 8.

Special teams play will probably decide it.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
It'll be a good battle between Lynch and Hager. Hager leads the team in tackles right now with 15 and Lynch is no slouch either with 8.

Lynch is a guy that has not really received any noteworthy attention this whole camp but he has piqued my interest since Snead mentioned him by name during his booth interview during the Colts game. He noted that Lynch had played really well on special teams. If one or both do not make the team I think they will be strong PS candidates.

WR and QB seem pretty cut and dried to me(assuming no injures tonight). The TE battle between Bayer and Cunningham rages again. Bayer has been quieter this preseason and Cunningham has looked better this time around but maybe as JT noted the Rams only go 3 TE's to start the season (so they can hold onto an extra young linemen).

I still think some of the toughest roster decisions will be on both the offensive and defensive lines.
After researching Longacre, he has been on my radar sine he was drafted but I think he still faces some really long odds of making the team. I would normally say he is a really strong PS candidate as well however he may have put up a strong enough effort to get gobbled up by another team and the same may go for Trinca Pasat if he is released.

On the offensive line most here agree that the Washington Project has run its course, Darell Williams is a long shot and that Wichmann is too far behind. If the Rams only keep 9 O-line then either Battle, Donnal, or Barnes/Jones must go and that becomes a really tough call IMO. I think Rhaney's athleticism and versatility have eared him a spot. Battle does not look ready for primetime but his upside and the fact hat he can play LT will make him really hard to cut. As for Donnal he has not looked bad and teams rarely give up on 4th round picks in their rookie year unless they just stink it up. If the Rams are truly comfortable with Rhaney manning the backup center spot then the loser between Barnes and Jones seems like the most possible cut if the Rams only keep 9 OL. For the Rams to keep 10 OL they are going to have to go thin at anther position group Like TE, LB, & CB or lose another one of their very promising young D linemen. At this point TE seems like the most logical group to be at risk. The thing about TE, LB, and CB is that those back end guys are usually key Special teams performers.

Limey

Rookie

I'm rooting for both of them to make the team.