It's all my fault

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I haven't watched a game sine the loss to the whiners in StL. Unfortunately, I decided to stop at a hotel to watch today's game in the 3rd qtr. Ugh. I missed all the great wins in the last month for this? Sorry bruthrs :(

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Is your wife a gypsy or something?

lasvegasrams

Rookie
burn some sage! or pretend that you're a fan of the other team when watching from now on :cheese:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Unless your real name is schottenheimer, I wouldn't worry about it.
Does San Fran get no credit for playing the defense they're capable of playing? I like debating you, because we're both stuck on one particular notion about Schottenheimer. I'm rewatching the plays involving Austin right now (9 of them), and here's how it went down.

1. Short pass (under pressure) for a first down when they needed a first down (3rd and 4)
2. Clemens uncorked a long one and overthrew Austin by about 5 yards.
3. End-around for 10 yards
4. Cook cleared out the underneath zone, Austin had room to run, but SF converged. Still a first down when they needed one.
5. Designed pass play FROM Austin to Pettis. Pettis was wide open for 6. Bad throw.
6. 50 yard pass to Austin (clear pass interference, but no call). Austin couldn't get separation even though he had a clean release.
7. Bad pass - short middle - intercepted
8. Short right - first down.
9. Hurried pass - caught at the 3 (good defense) and tackled. One more step, and it's a TD.

I also counted three other plays in which someone else was targeted, but Austin would have been the better option.

I know you want Austin to light it up every week like he had the previous two games, but we're not the St Louis Tavons, and Schottenheimer is giving him opportunities to make plays like he is for everyone else. Unless they can execute, we won't see the rewards of those play designs. They go over these things in practice (against our own defense), and the ones that work - or show the promise to work - are the ones that make it to the game day playbook. By my count, Tavon Austin alone left 6 points on the field when he missed on his *pass* to Pettis. Which isn't a big deal since those types of missed opportunities are present in every game that every team plays. The bottom line, though, is that Tavon isn't going to get many opportunities to go 70 yards for a TD against defenses like the one he faced yesterday. Particularly when that defense is geared up to take him out of the game. If anyone blew it, it was Cook. It was HIS day to shine yesterday.

Alan

Legend
X fixating on one aspect of the situation:
Does San Fran get no credit for playing the defense they're capable of playing?

I know you want Austin to light it up every week like he had the previous two games, but we're not the St Louis Tavons, and Schottenheimer is giving him opportunities to make plays like he is for everyone else. Unless they can execute, we won't see the rewards of those play designs. They go over these things in practice (against our own defense), and the ones that work - or show the promise to work - are the ones that make it to the game day playbook. By my count, Tavon Austin alone left 6 points on the field when he missed on his *pass* to Pettis. Which isn't a big deal since those types of missed opportunities are present in every game that every team plays. The bottom line, though, is that Tavon isn't going to get many opportunities to go 70 yards for a TD against defenses like the one he faced yesterday. Particularly when that defense is geared up to take him out of the game. If anyone blew it, it was Cook. It was HIS day to shine yesterday.

Why can't you both be right? I hate his play calling but no matter what plays he calls they all still require proper execution for them to work.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why can't you both be right? I hate his play calling but no matter what plays he calls they all still require proper execution for them to work.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not completely absolving Schottenheimer either. Every OC is going to be somewhat culpable for a loss. But then again, so is every HC, DC, ST coach, and a handful of players. My position is that as a whole, Schotty isn't a liability. I see enough plays week in and week out that could have been very successful if the execution was on point. It's not like he's just dialing up run left, run right, pass short every series. He aggressively attacks every zone (by play design), and puts players in the position to make plays. I just can't buy into the notion that a win equates to no play design problems, but losses point directly to him.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
FWIW it's not the yards in the running game as much as the relentless attempts and AS X says that was giving the devil it's due an elite front,I see progress, I see hope, I believe

Alan

Legend
I see all sides of this (just not very well :lol:). I don't necessarily blame Schotty for the play calling because I think a large part of our offensive (and defensive) play calling problems belong to Fisher. Much of what I'm seeing has to do with adjustments that happen or don't happen in the second half of the games. If your halftime adjustments are ineffective or nonexistent then it's hard to blame that on anyone except the OC or DC. Of course the score dictates much of your strategy so that has to be factored in.

I'm not taking a stand on this one way or the other until I can analyze all the games at the end of the season. Just pointing out that both of you can be right and probably are.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I just think we needed to protect Clemens from having to throw every play yesterday and decided to keep the game short and close and be around at the end so we could win with ST or turnover .
That game plan will work against other team, but San Fran was just good yesterday,pretty well full strength

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
nothing will keep me away from another finale in seachickenville. Go Rams!!!