"It was confirmed Jake [Long] has a torn ACL and MCL." - Coach Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4712/jake-long

Rams LT Jake Long's Monday MRI revealed a torn right ACL and MCL.

"It was confirmed Jake [Long] has a torn ACL and MCL," coach Jeff Fisher said. Fisher also confirmed impending free agent Rodger Saffold will finish the season as the Rams' starting left tackle against the Seahawks in Week 17. Joe Barksdale will man right tackle. Chris Williams and Shelley Smith will handle the guard spots with Tim Barnes at center. Fisher has "confidence" in Long "coming back" from the injury. He's due $8 million in 2014, the second year of a four-year, $34 million deal. Long's status for the 2014 opener is completely up in the air. Dec 23 - 6:09 PM

V3

Hall of Fame
If there's any positive side to this it's that it happened now which allows the Rams to place him on IR and save $4 million on his contract for next season...at least that's what Kevin Wheeler said on the radio. Something about a clause that if he's put on IR in 2013, the Rams save money in 2014. Also said his contract was structured to pretty much be a 2 year contract so the Rams won't be on the hook for him if he can't perform when he comes back.

I just don't want to take an OT because we're forced to. If Matthews isn't an absolute stud worthy of taking 2nd overall, then don't take him.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
If there's any positive side to this it's that it happened now which allows the Rams to place him on IR and save $4 million on his contract for next season...at least that's what Kevin Wheeler said on the radio. Said his contract was structured to pretty much be a 2 year contract so the Rams won't be on the hook for him if he can't perform when he comes back.

I just don't want to take an OT because we're forced to. If Matthews isn't an absolute stud worthy of taking 2nd overall, then don't take him.

Agreed but I think with the teams around us at that 2nd pick, we could trade down as far as 5th, pick up a couple of picks and still get Mathews.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
At his size, even with the limited actual ground he has to cover its gonna be a tough road back:sad:

Jake Long has a NFL body of a 35 yr old in terms of abuse. How many football surgeries has he undergone 7 (NFL/NCAA)? This ACL & MCL if you were advising Snead would you consider the 2014 season pretty much done? You know he will be PUP'd and then a decision will have to be made to IR Jake Long for the entire season or bring him back??? I would plan for a new starting OLT in 2014 season & if you there is a slight glimmer of hope you may have him ready for the playoffs. I know he has had left knee surgery in 2011. So this would be the first surgery on that right knee.

Here's what I could find...its alarming folks...:wow: I am concerned in a big way he is running out of body parts. I could be wrong on the dates too...

After 2013 season Surgery Pending torn Right knee MCL/ACL
After 2012 season Surgery Torn triceps
2012 Right knee MCL sprain
After 2011 season Surgery torn right biceps muscle
2011 Chronic lingering left knee trouble
2011 lower back injury that resulted in his placement on IR.
After 2010 season Surgery for a dislocated left shoulder with a torn labrum & Surgery to Left knee
2010 Left knee injury MCL sprain

In 2008, 2009 & 2010 Jake did not miss any regular season games to injury!
Note: Jake originally failed his first physical exam with the Dolphins . Miami then fired the the team doctor & the new doctor gave Jake long a passing him.
College
Early 2005 Surgery shoulder
Early 2005 Surgery Right Ankle
Late 2005 Surgery his second foot injury

Last edited by a moderator:

jap

Legend
Neither Fish nor Jake nor his doctors seem nearly as discouraged as the RODers. Jake is used to rehabbing and knows what to do. His doctors are optimistic he will be back in time for next season's start. Fish points out Big Jake keeps himself in fine condition, even with respect to other OT's.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Neither Fish nor Jake nor his doctors seem nearly as discouraged as the RODers. Jake is used to rehabbing and knows what to do. His doctors are optimistic he will be back in time for next season's start. Fish points out Big Jake keeps himself in fine condition, even with respect to other OT's.

Yes sir jap, very excellent point. I sorry I did not bring that up but as usual my posts are mouthy!:lol: Jake has a ton of pro experience in rehabbing & keeping in shape. Jake is also a true pro who has really helped this team in the left side running! But this injury may be his biggest challenge yet. The standard press line "doctors are optimistic he will be back in time for next season's start" is ....well the standard press line before they even get into that knee and get a real close look at all the wear & tear plus damage the yrs has brought. This will be his first surgery on that knee. Jake has had several events & injuries to that knee before but no surgeries so there is no telling what they will find.

The Wells knee surgery was "just a clean up " early before he played his first Ram game...he was expected back in TC.....The 32 yr old Wells went onto where he missed all of the early 2012 two mini's, all of training camp & all but one series of the last game of the pre season...he then broke several bones on that same leg in the first half of the first game thus more surgery. That clean up knee was a mess & ended up going back in for a second surgery on that same knee in less than 8 months later. Wells who was known in the NFL for his textbook technique & explosive strength was lacking the 2nd part in 2012 season. We just began to see some of that power return @ the end of Novemeber about 1 1/2 yrs from the knee surgery before breaking his lower leg bone.

I would hope that the younger 28 yr old Long would not be pushed & forced back too early. If it were me I would PLAN or the full healthy strong return of Jake until after the bye of the 2014 season. This should permit him the proper time period for a injury of this nature plus preparing this 2014 Ram team to be without him.

Last edited by a moderator:

jap

Legend
I would hope that the younger 28 yr old Long would not be pushed & forced back too early. If it were me I would PLAN or the full healthy strong return of Jake until after the bye of the 2014 season. This should permit him the proper time period for a injury of this nature plus preparing this 2014 Ram team to be without him.

Well, you hope for the best and plan for the worst. I don't know if we need to draft Matthews, but it would not be a bad idea to add another guy who can play tackle. However, I believe it is more critical to get Rodger signed.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well, you hope for the best and plan for the worst. I don't know if we need to draft Matthews, but it would not be a bad idea to add another guy who can play tackle. However, I believe it is more critical to get Rodger signed.

Yes The late 2013 OL fix (Rodger Saffold) would be a excellent temporary fix for the 2014 season. The Ram Org. will have to ready to deal when free agency begins on March 11th. The Org. will know by May 8th NFL Draft new start time on their status @ OT.

Keeping Sam Bradford UNinjured & Unharassed & in full protection mode must be the main priority in 2014...another injury to Sam from a porous weak OL will not go over well for Sams future nor Sneads nor Fishers.

"but it would not be a bad idea to add another guy who can play tackle" far from being a bad ideal.This Ram roster has much of its defense under contract in 2014 other than LB Dunbar...the Rams offense has much of its WR's/TE's/RB's & Bradford under contract but the offensive line is another story. Sunday four of its starters will be absent contracts for 2014. Drafting an OT would be an OUTSTANDING ideal...as far as Mathews being the target? probably not, but what I do know...the Rams are in need of several of the top OT candidates in this upcoming draft.