It was an overall great day except for one thing.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
The run blocking was horrible,I actually felt bad for Gurley. There were no holes to run thru and anytime he made a decent run there was a stupid penalty on the OL or TE. This is an area that will need to improve!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The run blocking was horrible,I actually felt bad for Gurley. There were no holes to run thru and anytime he made a decent run there was a stupid penalty on the OL or TE. This is an area that will need to improve!
One sack on Goff today, and that's it...They need to keep working to be better on run blocking, but they did great on Pass protection.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
The run blocking was very bad. Only time it was good was when they ran it outside, and when they did that, they got a flag as you said. Hopefully they clean it up and do a better job going forward.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Negatives:

1. Run blocking as the OP pointed out. Needs to get better.

2. Penalties. Usually you have that with the OL when guys are struggling up front with their assignment, so not a good sign overall.

3. Defense got bailed out with bad call on an early Colts' TD IMO, as well as that fumble when they were moving it. Still gotta give our unit a load of credit of course, but they got some real timely breaks.

And of course McVay just gets it:

View: https://twitter.com/vcsjoecurley/status/907021606924328960

…..

Legend
If we look hard enough, we can always find an area to focus on next week

I noticed we ran over the right side alot....

Name
Pat
Given the consensus that the run blocking needs to improve, I think we need to cut Gurley some slack. I know we are all suffering PFSD (Post Fisher Stress Disorder), but the comments today suggesting the Rams should start Brown or Davis are foolish. Give it a few more games for the line to get its timing down, and for the league to gain respect for our passing game (it's been what, 15 years?), and Gurley will look like he did in 2015. He's too young and too special of a talent not to regain his mojo- he just needs help around him.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Sweeps looked good. Runs to the inside, not so much.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's just Week#1, we're not perfect, YET! Things to fix! Some players on both sides of the Ball where just knocking the rust off!!:LOL: We'll do better next week!!(y):D

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Every body thats anybody, knows you have to stack the box and stop the run when playing the 49rs

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
anytime he made a decent run there was a stupid penalty on the OL or TE

This! Gurleys stat line wasn't an accurate representation of how he run. I felt like he ran pretty hard today, but had minimal to work with and EVERY big play got called back. Luckily he showed himself as a receiver but seriously, our run blocking looks back. Pass protection looked top notch though

fearsomefour

Legend
On Austins second run it was well blocked with a nice seem he ignored and bounced back.
Run blocking was not good. Some bad flags that took away some runs.
Gurley was used in the passing game effectively.
So, the Rams could not run the ball and their most explosive player barely touched the ball.
A lot of potential.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
On Austins second run it was well blocked with a nice seem he ignored and bounced back.
Run blocking was not good. Some bad flags that took away some runs.
Gurley was used in the passing game effectively.
So, the Rams could not run the ball and their most explosive player barely touched the ball.
A lot of potential.
I thought I was the only one who noticed that in Tavons second run. He had a hole. He has plenty of burst to hit that hole. McVay knew what he was doing when he called that play. It's supposed to go for a touchdown.

fearsomefour

Legend
I thought I was the only one who noticed that in Tavons second run. He had a hole. He has plenty of burst to hit that hole. McVay knew what he was doing when he called that play. It's supposed to go for a touchdown.
It was there for sure.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
This! Gurleys stat line wasn't an accurate representation of how he run. I felt like he ran pretty hard today, but had minimal to work with and EVERY big play got called back. Luckily he showed himself as a receiver but seriously, our run blocking looks back. Pass protection looked top notch though

Plus there was that one play where the Colt lineman arm tackled him, that had potential.

But whatever, Todd Gurley II performed well. 90+ yards from scrimmage and a touch.

fearsomefour

Legend
Plus there was that one play where the Colt lineman arm tackled him, that had potential.

But whatever, Todd Gurley II performed well. 90+ yards from scrimmage and a touch.
Yeah.
McVay got his the ball other ways.
Still seems to go down a lot on first contact.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

was that the one where he cut it outside and caused a holding penalty? i wonder what he saw to make him change direction. it looked like there was a bit of a seam there he could burst through with his speed.

fearsomefour

Legend
was that the one where he cut it outside and caused a holding penalty? i wonder what he saw to make him change direction. it looked like there was a bit of a seam there he could burst through with his speed.

His desire to bounce everything outside.
He is a small fast guy. Always looking to bounce. If he hit that seem he probably had 12 yards or so. Maybe more. He either didn't see it or didn't want to run between the trees.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i don't know man, gurley still doesn't look like the gurley from his rookie season. the speed and burst just don't seem like they're there on the running plays. he looks much better catching passes.

am i seeing things?