It must hurt like hell after a game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I do yardwork and I feel it the next day.

Even when younger, active in sports, I was never physically tested like an NFL player.

Steven Jackson always had a specific routine after a game... Involving an ice bath and oxygen tent.

But... Yeah... It's got to be incredibly painful next day. I guess in some way you train and build tolerance to it... But... Damn.

Football players are tough MF's.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I do yardwork and I feel it the next day.

Even when younger, active in sports, I was never physically tested like an NFL player.

Steven Jackson always had a specific routine after a game... Involving an ice bath and oxygen tent.

But... Yeah... It's got to be incredibly painful next day. I guess in some way you train and build tolerance to it... But... Damn.

Football players are tough MF's.

OMG, did yard work too yesterday and feel it today, that's for sure, but I also worked out in the home gym, but just legs & back, but for those who communicate 50 is the new 30, they are wrong. Maybe I forget how I felt after playing in the military & college years ago, but I don't remember my back hurting like this and I was snapping the ball all of the time.

I'm thinking Yoga is next on the docket for yours truly, my wife does it and I cannot believe how flexible she has become.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
When I was a teenager we used to play some hard hitting tackle football without pads. Never really hurt from it. A few years later in my mid 20's I got into a hard hitting tackle football game for the first time in a few years. I loved it. Had a ton of fun. Then the next day came. I could barely move. Every part of my body hurt. I had to call in sick on Monday. I can't imagine these guys going through that every week. They gotta be in tremendous shape.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If I'm sitting a certain way and turn my head wrong it's game over for me now days. Seems like a long way from jumping out of planes and running up and down mountains with 200lbs of shit on.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Chris Long was on Pat MAcafee this week and said he couldn't have played without toradol.

fearsomefour

Legend
To quote a friend of mine who played pro baseball for years, “Guys don’t take ‘roids for working out or getting strong....it’s all about recovery.”
There are a lot of tools to help them recover for sure but after the age of 30 or so it's gotta be tough.
I can see why players don’t like the short week games.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They do feel it - their bodies are conditioned for it and most of our physical limits are actually mental. It's amazing what the human body can do and endure.

But you still hear players talk about it being hard to move on Monday, so they do feel it. And of course they have the best recovery tools on the planet.

It is quite amazing though the difference between 20 and 35, and I can only imagine between 35 and 50

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One thing that I have noticed as I have grown older (now over 66) ...after a very strenuous amount of hard work in the miserable hot humid deep south is the noticeable peak period involving pains & aches ...........have grown yr after yr delayed from the youthful usual next morning peak to a long drawn out period where it peaks well into the second day after the self-abuse event, particularly in the lower back. Now I am a very big extra tall guy so I am not sure if that has something to do with it.

I have to admit that even at my advanced age & with all the experiences that I have with the spade shovel. It would certainly have helped if I were have been smarter but I am still too dumb to fully understand the operating instructions that come with the shovel.. I know I must be doing it wrong!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I remember watching a Jerome Bettis show and he was on crutches WORKING to go down the stairs after a game, and then 5 days later he was bowling over large, armored men again.

But now with med science and more focus on players bodies, rule changes, etc I feel like its getting better, but in no way is it a cake walk.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
When I was a teenager we used to play some hard hitting tackle football without pads. Never really hurt from it. A few years later in my mid 20's I got into a hard hitting tackle football game for the first time in a few years. I loved it. Had a ton of fun. Then the next day came. I could barely move. Every part of my body hurt. I had to call in sick on Monday. I can't imagine these guys going through that every week. They gotta be in tremendous shape.
We use to play tackle football on a golf course as it eased the falls. No pads, no helmet.

Got older and gravitated to pickup basketball games as I just got too beat up and worn out after football.

About mid 30's I picked up baseball (and dropped the two above) as co workers were former players and quick recoveries were possible (and striking people out and hitting home runs are also just too cool)

Now (early 60's) the three above sports are mere memories and I'm sore the next day after bashing a big bucket of golf balls at the driving range.

I suppose before too many more years I'll be reduced to playing a local par 3.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Wimps. All of you! Hold on, I need to take some CBD for my hip pain and get my wife to put some pain cream on my shoulder. Okay, back. Where was I? You bunch of wimps....................

We all have 3 ages.

Our real age. How old we are from the day we are born. Birth age.

Our minds age. How old you "think" you are. For me, it is currently 29. "I can do it" then the following(bodys) age comes in "The hell you can".

Your body's age. Hopefully, this is lower than your birth age. This is the age that your body takes to recover and/or have the ability to do things. If you are older and lucky, it is somewhere between your "birth" age and your "minds" age.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Still remember that scene in "North Dallas Forty" where the Nick Nolte character is so sore on Monday he can barely get out of bed. (Tried looking for the clip to post it, but couldn't find it).

Every play in the NFL looks like a car wreck. Amazed players aren't injured more often.

EDIT: here's a clip of popping pain killers, though....

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qlwQsJOKoIo

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Oh and agreed on all the above. Pulled weeds 2 days ago and strained my lower back. Had to cut short my vid gaming as I couldn't take sitting for long today.

Brady is a freak.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Chris Long was on Pat MAcafee this week and said he couldn't have played without toradol.
Is that available to civilians? I was hoping weeds yesterday after standing around at the fairgrounds all day Saturday.

My mind will never let me grow up no matter how much my body screams.

Getting ready for two weeks on the river in Alaska!

Ramon Ram

Starter
Getting harder and harder every day. I'm 61 now and had covid last July. Converted from tennis and started playing pickleball in November and had a hard time recovering. I think Covid may have had something to do with it. Started taking Turmeric and juice plus. Playing pickleball 3 times a week anywhere from 2-3 hours at a clip and feeling it next day for sure. Played college baseball, worked in the gym business for 5 years and continue to work out 6 days a week but this is getting tougher. Mind over matter and will continue the routine of keep moving til the day I die. Mentally good but body not following. Football players are tougher than the rest and they end up paying the price as well.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm thinking Yoga is next on the docket for yours truly

Yoga is great, used to do it in the Army to help with breathing control. Same with meditation. When I was a marksmanship instructor women who did yoga were already the best students because they could relax and control their breathing better. Made it a lot easier to get them to hit a target far out while their boyfriends and husbands were huffing and puffing about struggling to hit the 200 yard targets. Meanwhile their girl on her first time out was pinging steel at a grand.