It may have just been one game but...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

REV3NGE

Rookie
Name
Adrian
Me and my boy were just talking about how well noteboom did. He my not be Whitworth but no one else ever will be. But in this one game against a great D, the Boom did great! Didn’t even occur to me while watching he had Goffs blindside.
2044A2E2-F90E-46C2-85D6-3BA648B9CA56.jpeg

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Noteboom needs to improve his run blocking, but there's a reason Goff wasn't touched. Noteboom and Edwards were on-point when it came to cooperating to say what their responsibilities were (i.e., knowing who to block, whom to pass off to the other). His feet are special. I can see why he was drafted with our first pick that year.

I actually wouldn't mind keeping Whitworth and trading Havenstein to an O-line needy team for a mid-round pick (if Whitworth doesn't retire after our impending Super Bowl win). I get the feeling that Noteboom deserves a chance to shine at tackle. He sucks at guard, but as a tackle, he can be special.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Me and my boy were just talking about how well noteboom did. He my not be Whitworth but no one else ever will be. But in this one game against a great D, the Boom did great! Didn’t even occur to me while watching he had Goffs blindside.View attachment 41303
Imho Whit is Whit and Comparing Boom to WHIT is, well. Not Well.

Whit has scored top 10 again and again and Boom, Nope.

Whit is the bomb, period Imho.

TexasRam

Legend
It was an encouraging showing. Just one game though.

Im out of town so can’t review play by play but I believe it was just the one pressure he gave up.

The good news is I don’t see any Elite edge rushers the rest of the regular season on the schedule. With the exception of Dunlap, who I believe rushes from the other side, but don’t quote me.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was a very good first start for Boom and hopefully was one of many on the way to appeasing his critics, we know people won't ever get over their initial dislike of a player. Hoping for many more such games from him at least I don't think he'll play a defensive front or DC like that again until when/if he starts in the playoffs.

REV3NGE

Rookie
Name
Adrian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Imho Whit is Whit and Comparing Boom to WHIT is, well. Not Well.

Whit has scored top 10 again and again and Boom, Nope.

Whit is the bomb, period Imho.
That’s why I said no one will ever be Whit. But against a great D Boom held His own.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The great news is that the four division games, Jets and Patriots don't exactly have elite pass rushers

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We see why he's a better LT than OG. His run blocking is still meh. But he is a good pass protector. This was the best pass rush we face until the playoffs. Good for Joe!

Noteboom needs to improve his run blocking, but there's a reason Goff wasn't touched. Noteboom and Edwards were on-point when it came to cooperating to say what their responsibilities were (i.e., knowing who to block, whom to pass off to the other). His feet are special. I can see why he was drafted with our first pick that year.

I actually wouldn't mind keeping Whitworth and trading Havenstein to an O-line needy team for a mid-round pick (if Whitworth doesn't retire after our impending Super Bowl win). I get the feeling that Noteboom deserves a chance to shine at tackle. He sucks at guard, but as a tackle, he can be special.

I wouldn't trade Havenstein unless you think Evans can be just as good. Hav is still only 28 years old. My hope is that we win the Super Bowl, Whit retires (if he wants), and Noteboom proves capable of being a long-term starter for us.

TexasRam

Legend

Havenstein is one of the best RT in football. Big reason for our O-line resurgence this year in my opinion. He is maybe the best run blocking RT out there and has been solid in pass pro when not facing elite rushers.

I guess I am a bigger fan of Big Rob then others.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I wouldn't trade Havenstein unless you think Evans can be just as good. Hav is still only 28 years old. My hope is that we win the Super Bowl, Whit retires (if he wants), and Noteboom proves capable of being a long-term starter for us.

I was thinking of moving Whitworth - if he decides not to retire, I think he has another year or two on his current contract - to right tackle and keeping Noteboom at left. If he does retire, though, I'd still trade Havenstein for a mid-round pick to put Evans in at right tackle with Chandler Brewer - if/when he comes back - as the swing. I actually do think that Evans can be just as good (better in pass-protection by far, very-slightly worse against the run) as Havenstein, if not better.

That midround pick could be spent on help for a center to replace Blythe, a backup tackle who could be insurance for Noteboom, a dominant inside linebacker (for Kiser/Howard's eventual replacement) or outside linebacker (for Floyd and/or Ebukam), and a solid cornerback to replace Hill and/or push Long. We have a second, two thirds, and a fourth to play with in the mid rounds - and that's assuming we get a third and fourth compensatory pick. We don't have a first, fourth, or fifth otherwise.

And that's not even mentioning that we'll likely need to put a first round tender on Williams - and if Noteboom is the long-term answer, we'll need to extend his contract. We need cap space for both of those, as well as signing free agents to come here on one-year deals, excel here, and continue the pipeline of compensatory picks.

I like Havenstein, but in my opinion, trading him to a needy team makes sense.

Havenstein is one of the best RT in football. Big reason for our O-line resurgence this year in my opinion. He is maybe the best run blocking RT out there and has been solid in pass pro when not facing elite rushers.

I guess I am a bigger fan of Big Rob then others.

He is a big reason for our resurgence; he's healthy and playing good football. But I can't help but think that Evans can be better. I'm admittedly a bigger fan of Evans than most, so I'm biased in that regard.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
That’s why I said no one will ever be Whit. But against a great D Boom held His own.
Agree, Have a Happy Holiday.

Note ## I'm Truly a Whit Homer.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was thinking of moving Whitworth - if he decides not to retire, I think he has another year or two on his current contract - to right tackle and keeping Noteboom at left. If he does retire, though, I'd still trade Havenstein for a mid-round pick to put Evans in at right tackle with Chandler Brewer - if/when he comes back - as the swing. I actually do think that Evans can be just as good (better in pass-protection by far, very-slightly worse against the run) as Havenstein, if not better.

I understood on moving Whit, but he has maybe a year or two left at most, if he doesn't retire. I would rather not mess with a good thing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There's no guarantee Evans will be as good or better. I'll have to let the coaches make that call. It's not one I'd make on the information I have (which is only what I see on the field).

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
Noteboom is a capable replacement and held his own Monday Night. He will continue to perform well. BTW-I read in the LA Times that the Rams are scheduled for a walkthrough tomorrow. What is a walkthrough?
Thanks in advance.

dang

Legend
The Bucs run defense is special but Rams had maybe 2 decent runs if i recall. Seems most of those were to the right side but losing Whit will definately hurt the run game. Rams pass protection was very good noting that Goff was going for quick short passes. Noteboom contributed to a very good passing game so that is encouraging.

fearsomefour

Legend
Noteboom is a capable replacement and held his own Monday Night. He will continue to perform well. BTW-I read in the LA Times that the Rams are scheduled for a walkthrough tomorrow. What is a walkthrough?
Thanks in advance.
A non contact practice to usually go over specifics for a game plan.

fearsomefour

Legend
No one has been more skeptical of Noteboom than I have.
I was wrong.
Very happy to be wrong.
The extra space allowed at T allows Boom to use his strength (pointed out by many here).....quick first step, long arms, strength.....to set up in good position pass blocking.
I only saw one play Monday Night where Boom displayed his lack of balance and was beaten on an inside move by Pierre-Paul.....which is gonna happen vs a guy of that talent level.
He did a better job keeping his feet run blocking as well. He went to the ground 3 or 4 times.....not every time like at G.
The rushers may not be as fast but everything happens quicker inside. That affected him at G. Having to make more lateral blocks affected him.
His run blocking is ehh.
He had a couple of very good blocks in the run game but whiffed plenty as well. That’s still a work in progress.
But, to have Goff pass 50 times or so and give up zero sacks and one pressure....that’s a great game pass blocking.
As @Memento said Boom and Edwards did a good job picking up stunts and the occasional blitz. The whole line did actually.
One thing that impressed me was McVay did not change the offense to help Boom at all. He got very little help. There were times when the RB would line up to his left in the shotgun and Goff would move him to his right for protection.
The only time there was a lot of help given....a TE stayed in to pass block and a RB helped Boom as well....was when Goff dropped back into the end zone to pass. That was less about Boom than the situation I think.
For what it’s worth (not much) I was super impressed with Boom Monday Night.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
Thanks in advance.
It's what the Patriots secretly recorded back in 2001 to help them beat us in Super Bowl 36

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
No one has been more skeptical of Noteboom than I have.
I was wrong.
Very happy to be wrong.
The extra space allowed at T allows Boom to use his strength (pointed out by many here).....quick first step, long arms, strength.....to set up in good position pass blocking.
I only saw one play Monday Night where Boom displayed his lack of balance and was beaten on an inside move by Pierre-Paul.....which is gonna happen vs a guy of that talent level.
He did a better job keeping his feet run blocking as well. He went to the ground 3 or 4 times.....not every time like at G.
The rushers may not be as fast but everything happens quicker inside. That affected him at G. Having to make more lateral blocks affected him.
His run blocking is ehh.
He had a couple of very good blocks in the run game but whiffed plenty as well. That’s still a work in progress.
But, to have Goff pass 50 times or so and give up zero sacks and one pressure....that’s a great game pass blocking.
As @Memento said Boom and Edwards did a good job picking up stunts and the occasional blitz. The whole line did actually.
One thing that impressed me was McVay did not change the offense to help Boom at all. He got very little help. There were times when the RB would line up to his left in the shotgun and Goff would move him to his right for protection.
The only time there was a lot of help given....a TE stayed in to pass block and a RB helped Boom as well....was when Goff dropped back into the end zone to pass. That was less about Boom than the situation I think.
For what it’s worth (not much) I was super impressed with Boom Monday Night.
We were all wrong about the o-line except for the front office and coaches. I don't think I've seen basically the same group of guys change so much from 1 year to the next.They must see something in Brian Allen too but I guess only time will tell if he can play at this level.