It makes me laugh

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Yeah, it does when I read or hear "pundits" say this or that defensive player is a fit for the Rams. WTF? Don't they know there is a new DC? No one knows what kind of defense he will run. As a first time DC I don't think Shula is sure because I think it's going to be a hybrid of different schemes. So no particular "combine" warrior is likely to be a "fit".

The reason the Rams place little emphasis on the Combine is that the drills are the same every year and the players specifically train for them. That's why the Rams rely upon game film analytics to get things like actual game speed, i.e. how fast is a player in games. They are looking at toughness which isn't tested at the Combine. That is why the Rams took Puka. He plays faster than timed, and he's a tough MF who can break tackles and block. In other words those kind of guys are gamers, i.e. ballers.

It's why the Senior Bowl means more than the Combine to the Rams. At the Senior Bowl they can see how coachable or not a player is. They get to see him in actual game action facing top competition. It's one thing to say an offensive player is a fit because we have seen Sean's latest iteration of his offense and can extrapolate from that.

Case in point are WRs. The extending of Robinson is a big tell. Kupp, Nacua and now Robinson are big WRs. They have good hands, run in the 4.5-4.6 range, can make contested catches, block and most of all run crisp routes. They understand route concepts, i.e. they can read the coverage by how the DBs are positioned and know how to make their breaks accordingly. That is the issue that Atwell still struggles with and why I see him as trade bait or gone after this year.

So yeah I laugh at the so called experts who say a certain defensive player is a fit when they have no way of knowing because Shula's defense has yet to be seen.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I don't have high expectations for the Shula defense. But it can't really be worse than 3rd and 15 Morris.
It will come down to the players...scheme is sound, just need more rush & coverage ability.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't have high expectations for the Shula defense. But it can't really be worse than 3rd and 15 Morris.

Go back & look at the 2019 season & talk. That last Niners game would have put The Rams in the Poayoffs.

Love the negativity !!

As far as Oldbutnotdead goes ? Well there’s a lot of players in this Draft(all drafts) The Rams will like.
Tutu Atwell if he brings value & The Rams could trade him for any value ,

I think if you just respond to my post you don’t need to start another thread.The need part isn’t even a thing right now.There the Simms podcast that just came out about breaking The Rams down .Phil says it best. We have another 2 weeks to know .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It will come down to the players...scheme is sound, just need more rush & coverage ability.
If you look at Shula & his history as a Rams coach you realize he is an excellent fit.The perfect NAY-SAYERS should be happy. Kevin Demoff’s interview was pretty good.His daughter ? She saved herself,but he keeps it real & says things the best.

As far as Shula goes.He’s working relationships past & present really makes him an excellent fit.He knows The Rams players as well & has worked multiple postions.Aubrey will have a big say in what The defense will look like.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
The “pundits” bore me.

What I’m interested in is trying, with the limited information we have, to find those players (like Puka, Kyren and Turner) who transcend their numbers and can excel with the Rams.

Forty times are a very small part of that analysis, notwithstanding their overemphasis during Combine week.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The “pundits” bore me.

Agree. I don't think they pay attention to each other or even listen to themselves.

With Quinyon Mitchell flying-up the Draft Board, and likely out-of-range for #19; plus thinking Terrion Arnold would also be gone ... I have been wondering / hoping Nate Wiggins could fall to #19.

Wiggins was listed at 6'2" and 185 pounds, and reported to be fast. I really wanted to watch him run the 40. Twenty minutes before he ran his forty, Peter Schrager (who I think is good) mentioned Wiggins at 6'2" and 200 pounds. I thought ... Wow!, that sounds great.

Short time later, I am looking at this Really Skinny guy line up for his forty. Ran a great time (4.33) but did it at 175 pounds!!! That's NOT lean or even thin ... that's Skinny (at 6'1"). And it sure as Hell ain't no 200 pounds Peter Schrager! His light weight SHOULD have been discussed ... Nothing.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Shula’s scheme is going to look more like last season than anything else.IMO that will play well for how The NFL has changed.

I won’t say I’m right.I’ll say I’m probably wrong about The WR draft class. Looking back in history though, I’d say WR’s usually go later in the draft.So be it,I’ll enjoy the evaluations process.When The Rams start signing players will determine what they do ? I could see them trading up.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Agree. I don't think they pay attention to each other or even listen to themselves.

With Quinyon Mitchell flying-up the Draft Board, and likely out-of-range for #19; plus thinking Terrion Arnold would also be gone ... I have been wondering / hoping Nate Wiggins could fall to #19.

Wiggins was listed at 6'2" and 185 pounds, and reported to be fast. I really wanted to watch him run the 40. Twenty minutes before he ran his forty, Peter Schrager (who I think is good) mentioned Wiggins at 6'2" and 200 pounds. I thought ... Wow!, that sounds great.

Short time later, I am looking at this Really Skinny guy line up for his forty. Ran a great time (4.33) but did it at 175 pounds!!! That's NOT lean or even thin ... that's Skinny (at 6'1"). And it sure as Hell ain't no 200 pounds Peter Schrager! His light weight SHOULD have been discussed ... Nothing.
If your talking Wiggins falling to The Rams,which would be Great.That be my hope & getting Witherspoon back.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
He plays faster than timed, and he's a tough MF who can break tackles and block. In other words those kind of guys are gamers, i.e. ballers.
No truer words were ever stated!!! :)

Tano

Legend
Uh-oh. You’ve done it now.

JimY53 will be along shortly with his stats and screen grabs to show how Morris wasn’t actually that bad on third and long.
And then Tano will chime in that stats don't tell the entire story and omg - not this again

Wont Happen Again The Ultimate Fighter GIF by UFC