It looks like Snead has very nearly completed the biggest rebuild ever

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
When I think of biggest rebuilds, the one I always go to is Rich McKay and Tony Dungy with the Bucs. All those people ranting about Dungy in the Hall might contemplate what they were before he got there. Truly awful organization, seriously, look at the way they drafted in the 80s and 90s. Shocking. McKay becomes their GM in 1994, and in his second draft, he takes Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks in the same round. Boom. That's how you get it done.

They build one heck of a defense. They were really bad before.

I don't know if the 2010s Lions count as a successful rebuild, but they're finally off the mat. Matt Millen left that franchise in a state of carnage like I've never seen. .242 winning % between 2001-08.

I don't know how Matt Millen lasted so long.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
You could say the same about stealing another teams LT & Center too........I would suggest to Snead to consideration of stealing another Redskin young veteran center named Spencer Long who will be a UFA in March.
Center, sure. I consider the Whitworth situation pretty unique as most tackles don't continue to stay healthy and produce at his age. Teams just don't let good left tackles leave in most cases. You almost have to find a long term solution in the draft.

Ram65

Legend
I like Snead but, I didn't give him a complete pass during the Fisher era. They had a lot of draft capitol that wasn't always taken advantage of. Free agent signing backfired too. I suppose Fisher takes the majority of the blame but, we don't know the dynamics of all the decisions. Snead was always diligent work draft day trades and keep options open. He did overhaul a weak scouting department and now appears to be top level. I think he was very high on taking Jared Goff and making that big trade happen.

This past off season was extremely well orchestrated. Snead and McVay had to be on the same page to pull off the signings and a great free agent class. Whitworth, Woods, Sullivan, Webster, NRC. I would like to know how they decided on these players but for now I'll give Snead credit for making it happen. The draft class of 2017 looks very solid with many productive players. Everett (2nd round) and Kupp (3rd round) the top two picks have contributed on offense. Snead got extra pick for John Johnson ( 3rd round SS) who is ready to see more playing time along with starting NT Tanzel Smart. For the draft capital Snead had to work with it could be his best draft class that also includes potential high level WR Josh Reynolds, part time LBer Sampson Ebukam and pass rusher Ejuan Price.

The Rams were going into the season with half a rebuilt offense. Two new proven offensive lineman and one veteran WR and a rookie can't miss WR. Snead wasn't done as he finally gets Buffalo to agree (after trying since May) on August 11th to a trade for the #1 WR the Rams haven't had since Tory Holt. This was the cherry on top of a great off season for the Rams and Les Snead. A completely overhauled WR group, improved offensive line, and adding young defensive talent. It was a great off season for Les Snead and the Rams.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Uh, kinda hate to bring this up but living up here it was hard to miss the whiners under Walsh. That was pretty amazing, however unwelcome. They were pretty much crap while we were winning 7 straight Division Titles.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Oh and btw take a look at some of the decisions pending for Les after this season. Here's some of our free agents for 2018:

CB Johnson
WR Watkins
OLB Barwin
ILB Ogletree
CB/S Joyner
C Sullivan
CB Robey-Coleman
DT Walker

Plus the whole Aaron Donald deal. Les has his work cut out for him man.
Correct me if I'm wrong, But isn't this^^ Demoff's job to handle!?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Center, sure. I consider the Whitworth situation pretty unique as most tackles don't continue to stay healthy and produce at his age. Teams just don't let good left tackles leave in most cases. You almost have to find a long term solution in the draft.
Correct the best UFA LT coming up in 2018 is Pats Nate Solder. His last contract net'd him about 9 mil a season he will demand much more after this season. Not sure he is worth much more. Rams currently are drafting around #26 late first round. If that remains I would suggest a priority of a LT with that first pick to groom ASAP with Andrew Whitworth. reason is due to the Rams only one selection on the 2nd day due to the trade with Buffalo for Sammy with that 2nd pick. I would then turn my attention directly towards outside corners ASAP maybe selecting as many as 3 on the. Snead has a #1 & a #3 the first 2 days of the draft. However he does have six selections on the 3rd day.

Problem with taking OL'ers with high selections is it takes 3 to 4 yrs to get any return of play from them & by that time they are gone into free agency. You much get quicker returns for longer periods of time from CB's, RB's, LB'ers, Edge Rushers .

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh and btw take a look at some of the decisions pending for Les after this season. Here's some of our free agents for 2018:

Demoff handles contracts. I'm sure Snead and McVay will huddle up and come up with a list of priorities but it's Demoff's job to negotiate the contracts not Snead or McVay.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

CB Johnson
WR Watkins
OLB Barwin
ILB Ogletree
CB/S Joyner
C Sullivan
CB Robey-Coleman
DT Walker

I think we resign everyone except Barwin and Johnson. Which I'm totally ok with

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Correct me if I'm wrong, But isn't this^^ Demoff's job to handle!?

Demoff handles contracts. I'm sure Snead and McVay will huddle up and come up with a list of priorities but it's Demoff's job to negotiate the contracts not Snead or McVay.

Yes of course. But I doubt he decides who is going to be signed or extended in a vacuum.

For example was it Kevin who signed Tavon? Sure. But was it his decision solely? Probably not, in fact I'd bet Fisher pushed that hard and was wrong and it was another of many reasons he was fired.

I'm just guessing that Les' performance the past year will lead to him having a lot of clout in the room when him, KD, and McVay sit down to discuss who is crucial and whether/how they fit. And if he is going to continue as GM the decisions on the offseason roster should be right in his wheelhouse.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe

What's wrong with Barwin?

I have been watching the games but I started a new job so haven't been following our players too much.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yes of course. But I doubt he decides who is going to be signed or extended in a vacuum.

For example was it Kevin who signed Tavon? Sure. But was it his decision solely? Probably not, in fact I'd bet Fisher pushed that hard and was wrong and it was another of many reasons he was fired.

I'm just guessing that Les' performance the past year will lead to him having a lot of clout in the room when him, KD, and McVay sit down to discuss who is crucial and whether/how they fit. And if he is going to continue as GM the decisions on the offseason roster should be right in his wheelhouse.

For sure it's not in a vacuum, but only Demoff does the contracts so if a player leaves it's not on Snead or McVay, it's on the player, the agent and Demoff.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Snead has had more success than failure in the draft, for sure. What he did with this year's draft was pretty amazing though.

Round 2, Pick 12 (44) (From Bills) Gerald Everett TE 6'3" 239 South Alabama 5.9
Round 3, Pick 5 (69) Cooper Kupp WR 6'2" 204 Eastern Washington 5.7
Round 3, Pick 27 (91) (From Bills through Chiefs) John Johnson S 6'0" 208 Boston College 5.7
Round 4, Pick 10 (117) (From Bears through Bills) Josh Reynolds WR 6'3" 194 Texas A&M 5.6
Round 4, Pick 19 (125) (From Jets through Buccaneers) Samson Ebukam OLB 6'3" 240 Eastern Washington 5.2
Round 6, Pick 5 (189) Tanzel Smart DT 6'1" 296 Tulane 5.4
Round 6, Pick 22 (206) (From Dolphins) Sam Rogers FB 5'10" 231 Virginia Tech 5.1
Round 7, Pick 16 (234) (From Ravens) Ejuan Price DE 5'11" 241 Pittsburgh 5.4

Everett and Kupp are starters or will be eventually and possible probowl talent. Johnson and Reynolds are great depth guys who are already helping on ST with the potential to start someday. Smart is a major and successful part of the DL rotation.

I'd argue the jury's still out on Ebukam and Price (Rogers may be a wash completely).

Still that's a very good draft without a 1st round pick.

TexasRam

Legend

With 50 million and then another 12 after dropping Quinn, I am signing the following:

Sullivan 8
Donald 20
Tru 15
Joyner 5
Coleman 5
Watkins 8

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
GROB came before Donald so the last 3 were Donald Gurley and goff, 2 of them were rookie of the year and goff seems to be coming around . I'll take that any time

Throw in Michael Brockers, Tavon Austin, and Alec Ogletree from the years prior to 2014. That's 6 starters and contributors from the first round alone.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
What's wrong with Barwin?

I have been watching the games but I started a new job so haven't been following our players too much.

Because he's just a stop gap player at this point. Maybe we resign him to a salary friendly deal.
As far as Tru goes, he's going to demand shutdown corner money which is most certainly not a shut down corner. Hard pass

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
As far as Tru goes, he's going to demand shutdown corner money which is most certainly not a shut down corner. Hard pass

He does seem interested in staying here. Hope he takes what's he's worth: A good corner, but not shutdown corner money; he was 50/50 vs Dez last week. Gotta cover like Janoris Jenkins if you want shutdown corner money

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Because he's just a stop gap player at this point. Maybe we resign him to a salary friendly deal.

Not sure if Barwin is considered a "stop gap" player?:thinking: I had thought close to you real early but I have changed my mind based on what i have seen on the field as of late. Just looking at the OSLB'ers stats....

#1-Starter Conner Barwin 9 solo 3 assists 2 sacks (in the last 2 games)
#2-Reserve Matt Longacre 6 solo's 2 assist & 2 sacks
#3-Starter Rob Quinn 4 solo's 3 assists 1.5 sacks
#4-Reserve Cory Littleton 4 solo's 1 assists
#5-Reserve Samson Ebukam 4 solo & 1 forced fumble

I thought the left side of our DL of Brockers/Barwin (who is a Ram Team Captain)duo sealed/contained the edge & pressured Dak heavy & got 2 sacks on him in comparison to the other side of Quinn/Donald duo was not nearly as effected zero sacks & loss containment several times. If Barwin continues to improve he is sure to get some strong consideration for a new contract. He already on track to get over 8 sacks from the strong side.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For sure it's not in a vacuum, but only Demoff does the contracts so if a player leaves it's not on Snead or McVay, it's on the player, the agent and Demoff.

Well the conversation is re: giving Les some cred for the rebuild. Did he sign Big Whit? Did he sign Sullivan or Barwin etc? Of course not. But he still deserves cred there, along with the draft which albeit at an early stage looks incredible.

If we're going to do all that, then it sort of makes sense to look ahead to this offseason and see that he's got some key decisions that need to be made from that GM chair. KD alone will not be to blame if they all walk, for example. But KD is going to be operating off a list provided to him by his GM and staff at large.

If KD is the sole decision making entity on whether we keep FAs we are in trouble long term. That would be too similar to what we had going when Shaw was in that chair.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well the conversation is re: giving Les some cred for the rebuild. Did he sign Big Whit? Did he sign Sullivan or Barwin etc? Of course not. But he still deserves cred there, along with the draft which albeit at an early stage looks incredible.

If we're going to do all that, then it sort of makes sense to look ahead to this offseason and see that he's got some key decisions that need to be made from that GM chair. KD alone will not be to blame if they all walk, for example. But KD is going to be operating off a list provided to him by his GM and staff at large.

If KD is the sole decision making entity on whether we keep FAs we are in trouble long term. That would be too similar to what we had going when Shaw was in that chair.

I think Snead does the work to bring those guys to the table, along with McVay to a degree and then Demoff puts an offer together.

I'm sure the three of them talk , of course, but Snead is not doing contracts.

I don't think Demoff is the sole guy, and I do think he has a list like I said. But if one guy doesn't do well we can't blame the other.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
I wonder who was responsible for Iseah Pead, Zac Stacy, Greg Robinson, Brian Quick, and Tavon Austin picks? Snead or Fisher?