It all starts up front

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OCRich

UDFA
The Rams are getting the (bleep) kicked out of them at the line of scrimmage. Really, REALLY hard to win when you can't win up front.

The list of problems with this team is enormous right now. But in my mind...it all starts up front. There are highly-paid players on both lines not earning their money.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
OCRich said:
The Rams are getting the (bleep) kicked out of them at the line of scrimmage. Really, REALLY hard to win when you can't win up front.

The list of problems with this team is enormous right now. But in my mind...it all starts up front. There are highly-paid players on both lines not earning their money.

The prob is not the trenches. The guys are not being put in any position to succeed schematically. It's atrocious. Really bad play calls on both sides of the ball not just execution.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
smram said:
OCRich said:

The prob is not the trenches. The guys are not being put in any position to succeed schematically. It's atrocious. Really bad play calls on both sides of the ball not just execution.
Somewhat disagree
Dliners not getting pressure constantly one the qb or stopping the run game. And oline not opening any holes or stopping the qb from being sacked the trenches are an issue

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
OCRich said:

Front? Front??....we ain't got no stinkin front :amped: :bummed:

Ram_of_Old

ramsince62 said:
OCRich said:

Front? Front??....we ain't got no stinkin front :amped: :bummed:

and thus no running game...

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Rabid Ram said:
smram said:
OCRich said:

Somewhat disagree
Dliners not getting pressure constantly one the qb or stopping the run game. And oline not opening any holes or stopping the qb from being sacked the trenches are an issue

It's not even that they aren't opening holes...they are getting knocked on their ass!

fearsomefour

Legend
Rewatching the game when the Rams had the ball (I enjoy punishment I guess) Dahl was just terrible. He was brought in to be a grinder in the run game, that was his rep. He had a play or two where he made a nice block on a LB outside of that, zero push and he was just brutal in the passing game. He just is not able to pick up stunts anymore....I think he has lost much of his lateral quickness. Wells wasnt much better.
I would have Barnes or Jones (if he is healthy enough) at the RG spot before kick off vs. Jacksonville.
I would also run the ball at least 50% of the play calls no matter what. A lot less conerned with being 2-3 vs. 1-4 as I am with the team being competitive going forward.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
We can damn the scheme all we want, and there is fault with it.
But line play always comes down to the lowest common denominator of beating the man in front of you.
Both sides of the ball the Rams are not only losing those battles they are getting their ass kicked.
While I'm more shocked by the play of the Dline just because they have the ability to be dominate. I have never even in the 15-65 days seen such a poor run blocking unit. I felt sorry for them. Is it technique or is just being physically over matched? I don't know.
Coach Boo knows how to coach, Schotty called a good run game in NY. We don't have great backs but still....
S Jax wouldn't fair much better.

So yeah, bring in a FB, go heavy with 2 blocking TE's and swap in Barnes, Smith and Jones some just to get 1 side of the line strong at least. Get back to basic football then go from there.

duckhunter

Starter
In retrospect, there was Cordy Glenn sitting there at #33. He has only allowed one QB pressure as a LT this year and looking very dominant at times.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
OCRich said:

This is it for me too. Without the lines even playing average, how can you even evaluate anything else? In my book, you can't.

duckhunter

Starter
And then there is Clint Boling, G, Bengals who we passed in the 3rd three years ago. Beat the table for him. Played well in his second season and was dominant early last year, top ten by PFF. Fell off final few games because of injury. This year already rated top 4 LG in the league. Oh yeah, Zeitler, another guard I liked but went in the first two years ago is top RG in the league by PFF.

At some point in the next few games, Boo needs to work B Jones into the lineup at either guard position. Get him ready for next year.

As a minimum, we need Mathews and Jackson out of next year's draft.

Bottom line there is little depth or talent in the reserves.

xander47

Rookie
I know this is farfetched, but do you think Snead/Fisher did this on purpose. It's a known fact that skill players take longer to develop. The offensive line has always had it's problems, even before the injuries. It was suppose to be a 3 year plan at best. They probably outperformed expectation last year, but that didn't keep them from staying on track with their 3 year plan. Draft playmakers this year, give them a year in the system and then finally draft an offensive line next year that'll allow them to show off their abilities?