Isaiah Pead suspended for first game of season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Pot will never come off the list unless it becomes legal everywhere in the country and that'll never happen. I'm actually surprised the penalty is only one game.....Roger must have conceded that in exchange for something else during the new CBA negotiations. I wonder what he got in return.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
LesBaker said:
Pot will never come off the list unless it becomes legal everywhere in the country and that'll never happen. I'm actually surprised the penalty is only one game.....Roger must have conceded that in exchange for something else during the new CBA negotiations. I wonder what he got in return.

I wouldn't be so sure that pot won't be legal for recreational use some day. There seems to be a groundswell for decriminalization, which I didn't think would happen, and from there it won't take too much of a push.

While in my more wild and reckless days I'll admit I partook, not really my bag (haha, I made a funny!) now. I think it makes me lazy and prevents me from doing more productive things with my time (like Internet message boards about fooseball!).

That said, it seems the prevailing attitude seems to me to be shifting from those old "Reefer Madness" notions to something more akin to alcohol - don't want you driving on it, but if you're at home you're not really hurting anyone.

I'm not going to get into possible tax revenue and reduction of having to pay for inmates as a result of arrests and all that jazz because I'm sure there are some Phish fans on the board who are more well armed with that info than I am, but I will say it seems to me like we're moving towards a tipping point.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Why do u guys think the Rams traded up and drafted Zac Stacy? I don't think they are completely sold on Pead and needed the strongest back available for insurance. Otherwise, I think they would of stood pat and drafted who fell to them in the 6th and saved that other pick for another need. Pead will be fine I hope but look for Stacy to make some noise with the opportunity.

nighttrain

Legend
X said:
Way to shoot yourself in the foot, Isaiah.

Dammit.
first the ROK, and now Pead, both ONE GAME :shock: Is Goodell through with us, or more to come. Oh well, 6 seachicks so were still good.
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ramhusker said:
Why do u guys think the Rams traded up and drafted Zac Stacy? I don't think they are completely sold on Pead and needed the strongest back available for insurance. Otherwise, I think they would of stood pat and drafted who fell to them in the 6th and saved that other pick for another need. Pead will be fine I hope but look for Stacy to make some noise with the opportunity.

I was going to post the same thing. We gave up 2 picks to get Stacy too.

But, they are different style of runners.

No doubt the Rams still have confidence in Pead, but clearly they are going to a multiple back approach. And... I like it. Just one more element of the offense for defenses to plan for.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
It wouldn't matter if weed was legal in 50 states. The NFL can ban anything they like, for whatever reason. Prescribed Adderall is not illegal in any state. Pead will be fine. I just hope he has his head on straight. This is old news for him and the Rams though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/101151/isaiah-pead-and-wests-long-suspension-list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... nsion-list</a>

Add St. Louis Rams running back Isaiah Pead to the list of recent NFC West draft choices suspended to open the 2013 NFL season.

Pead, a second-round choice in 2012, will serve a one-game suspension for violating the NFL's policy for substance abuse. He joins 2012 Rams fifth-round pick Rokevious Watkins, 2012 Seattle Seahawks first-round pick Bruce Irvin, and 2010 Arizona Cardinals second-rounder Daryl Washington on the list of NFC West players suspended to open the season.

Pead and Watkins will serve one-game suspensions under the substance-abuse policy. Washington will serve a four-game ban under the same policy. Irvin will serve a four-game ban under the NFL's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances.

All four players remain eligible to practice with their teams and participate in offseason programs.

Violators of the substance-abuse policy who have not yet reached Stage Three of the program can remain eligible at their teams' discretion to participate in team meetings and other functions during the season, but they cannot participate in games or practices.

Substance-abuse suspensions generally span four games. One-game suspensions suggest the player entered the program without incurring positive tests, perhaps voluntarily. Players arrested on drug-related charges can also incur one-game suspensions, although there is no evidence that is the case with Pead.

The NFL and its teams do not disclose particulars, citing confidentiality rules, so it's difficult to know for sure what happened in specific cases.

Pead is competing for playing time at running back as the Rams move forward without Steven Jackson. Rookie Zac Stacy and second-year running back Daryl Richardson are also among those competing. The team figures to take more of a committee approach than rely upon one runner. A one-game setback isn't going to crush Pead's chances for the long term, but it's a strike against him following a rookie season in which he ranked fourth on the team in carries with 10, trailing even quarterback Sam Bradford.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
CGI_Ram said:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/101151/isaiah-pead-and-wests-long-suspension-list

Add St. Louis Rams running back Isaiah Pead to the list of recent NFC West draft choices suspended to open the 2013 NFL season.

Pead, a second-round choice in 2012, will serve a one-game suspension for violating the NFL's policy for substance abuse. He joins 2012 Rams fifth-round pick Rokevious Watkins, 2012 Seattle Seahawks first-round pick Bruce Irvin, and 2010 Arizona Cardinals second-rounder Daryl Washington on the list of NFC West players suspended to open the season.

Pead and Watkins will serve one-game suspensions under the substance-abuse policy. Washington will serve a four-game ban under the same policy. Irvin will serve a four-game ban under the NFL's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances.

All four players remain eligible to practice with their teams and participate in offseason programs.

Violators of the substance-abuse policy who have not yet reached Stage Three of the program can remain eligible at their teams' discretion to participate in team meetings and other functions during the season, but they cannot participate in games or practices.

Substance-abuse suspensions generally span four games. One-game suspensions suggest the player entered the program without incurring positive tests, perhaps voluntarily. Players arrested on drug-related charges can also incur one-game suspensions, although there is no evidence that is the case with Pead.

The NFL and its teams do not disclose particulars, citing confidentiality rules, so it's difficult to know for sure what happened in specific cases.

Pead is competing for playing time at running back as the Rams move forward without Steven Jackson. Rookie Zac Stacy and second-year running back Daryl Richardson are also among those competing. The team figures to take more of a committee approach than rely upon one runner. A one-game setback isn't going to crush Pead's chances for the long term, but it's a strike against him following a rookie season in which he ranked fourth on the team in carries with 10, trailing even quarterback Sam Bradford.

So why would the Union agree to allow a suspension without a pos. test?

:shock:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
EastRam said:

He probably tested positive upon entering the program voluntarily.

As opposed to testing positive during scheduled/random testing done by the league.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
EastRam said:
CGI_Ram said:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/101151/isaiah-pead-and-wests-long-suspension-list

Yeah I don't get that either. Hopefully someone from the Rams will clear this up soon.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
LesBaker said:

I dis Les there are only 22 states that HAVE NFL teams

<a class="postlink" href="http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080118135219AAxJ8Gv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 219AAxJ8Gv</a>

And of them Three already have medical pot two rec use Il house just passed med pot.
I think Harry Belafonte has it right Obama aught to sign an exec order ending the war on America's Youth AKA the War On Drugs

I mean the last three American Presidents admit having smoked it ( two actually inhaled :roll: how he got elected after expecting America to be dumb enough to accept that ...wait I just answered my own Q) so I think we can dispense with the "your future depends on being clean" myth .
I give pot five years on the banned substance list .
OK now what wuzeye sayin ?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
EastRam said:
CGI_Ram said:

That grabbed my eye.
Say you were in a car where the driver is in possession because the pot is in his glove comp ,you are held overnight but never really booked ,it might not make the papers but the team knows or the league knows.

Dunno, FWIW, it happened long enough ago, the whole Pead needs to clean up his act meme could be a day late.

I'm lookin' forward to see'n the guy we thought we drafted.

iced

Thordaddy said:
EastRam said:
CGI_Ram said:

That grabbed my eye.
Say you were in a car where the driver is in possession because the pot is in his glove comp ,you are held overnight but never really booked ,it might not make the papers but the team knows or the league knows.

Dunno, FWIW, it happened long enough ago, the whole Pead needs to clean up his act meme could be a day late.

under this scenario they could charge you with accessory or aiding. they never do, unless its a large quantity

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
iced said:
Thordaddy said:
EastRam said:
CGI_Ram said:

That grabbed my eye.

under this scenario they could charge you with accessory or aiding. they never do, unless its a large quantity
conspiracy to posses is used more often than you might think ,not that it ever gets to court or to arraignment but it can be used to scare people,like NFL players who know a charge could cost them 4 game checks
just spit ballin' here but it mostly depends on the prosecutor ,if he's trying to make a name etc.

nighttrain

Legend
Thordaddy said:
iced said:
Thordaddy said:
EastRam said:
CGI_Ram said:

That grabbed my eye.

conspiracy to posses is used more often than you might think ,not that it ever gets to court or to arraignment but it can be used to scare people,like NFL players who know a charge could cost them 4 game checks
just spit ballin' here but it mostly depends on the prosecutor ,if he's trying to make a name etc.
All professional athletes are particularly vulnerable to this, damned by association..bolded is not something to take lightly
train

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:
EastRam said:
CGI_Ram said:

Yeah I don't get that either. Hopefully someone from the Rams will clear this up soon.
The even bigger question is why would the NFL punish a player for voluntarily starting a drug abuse program? If the rule is he get's caught smoking pot and he can either join the program and face a one game penalty or take a four game suspension not go to the program then I understand.

But if someone voluntarily starts that program it would make no sense to punish them. They are confessing they did it and want help. All this would do is make players not want to join the program.

Ebonemalone

Rookie
Thordaddy said:
LesBaker said:

I dis Les there are only 22 states that HAVE NFL teams

<a class="postlink" href="http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080118135219AAxJ8Gv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 219AAxJ8Gv</a>

so I think we can dispense with the "your future depends on being clean" myth .
I give pot five years on the banned substance list .
OK now what wuzeye sayin ?

God I hope so!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ramhusker said:

they invested a 2nd round pick in pead. that's like 20 6th round picks.

snead said stacy was the only guy left that they really liked so instead of risking him being snatched before them they went up and got him. he will take the sjax role in the rbbc, the role that had sjax packing his bags as quickly as he could.

pead was drafted for this season and beyond. for an offense that suited his skills.