Is Tre Mason a goner?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
it looked like a great pick after his rookie season. who knew gurley would be sitting there for them next season? what were they supposed to do, not draft him? stuff happens and i'm glad the rams go after the elite players in their positions.

I'm not disputing that. Without the benefit of hindsight, the pick definitely was not a bad one. But that's the thing about being an NFL GM / coach. You don't get the benefit of hindsight. At the end of the day, you have to make sure your picks pan out. Period. It might not be "fair" but that's the way the business is.

Outside of the first round, Snisher has been pretty hot and cold with their premium picks. Luckily, their record in the later rounds and with UDFAs is well above par. That, combined with their very strong record in round 1, has kept the talent pipeline flowing nicely. On the whole, I have no issue with Snisher's drafting. Just pointing out they need to start doing a better job in rounds 2 & 3. It's hard to miss that consistently in those rounds and stay competitive.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not disputing that. Without the benefit of hindsight, the pick definitely was not a bad one. But that's the thing about being an NFL GM / coach. You don't get the benefit of hindsight. At the end of the day, you have to make sure your picks pan out. Period. It might not be "fair" but that's the way the business is.

Outside of the first round, Snisher has been pretty hot and cold with their premium picks. Luckily, their record in the later rounds and with UDFAs is well above par. That, combined with their very strong record in round 1, has kept the talent pipeline flowing nicely. On the whole, I have no issue with Snisher's drafting. Just pointing out they need to start doing a better job in rounds 2 & 3. It's hard to miss that consistently in those rounds and stay competitive.

last 3 years 2nd and 3rd rounds.

joyner and mason
havenstein and brown
used to trade for goff

in my eyes that's some solid drafting. can't hit on all of them. we still don't know mason is a miss yet. let's see what he does in preseason and the regular season.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This. Snisher needs to do a better job capitalising on high picks outside the first round. Mason, Quick, Pead... it's one thing to have guys not fully reach their potential. It happens. It's another when they all go on to flame out and contribute almost nothing.

Might want to rethink that, Ontario.

I assume your thinking about 2nd and 3rd rounders by that description?

Let's see...

2012- Quick, Jenkins, Pead, and TruJo. Two big hits and two misses.

2013- No 2nd rounder due to the trade up, McDonald and Bailey in the 3rd. One hit and one "might have been".

2014- Joyner and Mason. One hit and Mason looked good in his rookie year.

2015- Hav, Brown, and Mannion. Two instant starters and a backup QB that's in limbo.

That,s 11 players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Seven were starters in their first year. Bailey was never used properly (imo), yet he contributed from his rookie year on both from scrimmage and on ST big time, and Mannion remains as a developmental 3rd string QB that just might move up to 2nd string as soon as '17.

That leaves Pead as a clear bust and Quick that looks like another bust, although they still thought enough of him to give him a prove it contract for '16.

Bottom line? That's a helluva lot better than the league average of approx 35% for 2nd rounders and approx 25% for 3rd rounders.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Seems like Mason's offseason continued to be rough. Legitimate concerns about his mental health.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...it-tre-masons-home-five-times-in-four-months/

Police reportedly have been called to his house on five different occasions.....On one occasion, a family member told police that Mason hadn’t slept in days, and that the family member was concerned if Mason left the house “he will get hurt.” During one of the police visits, he agreed to check into a facility. He apparently didn’t.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 2nd round busts that are Quick and Pead have a tendency to skew the perception of the Rams drafting under Fisher/Snead IMO. Sure you cant toss away 2nd rounders but when you are picking up starters in the 3rd and 4th round it more than makes up for it

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Wow bad news on Mason
Cops coming to his house 5 times... Todd Gurley sure got into his head or is it the blonde dreads? Still not sure what's responsible for this meltdown

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
When things like this happen I really wonder how all those big hits to the head effect a player. I don't know Mason personally but he seemed pretty well adjusted in college and early in his career and this change seems pretty drastic. You just have to wonder how head injuries played into this. I wish him the best and hope he gets better.

Psycho_X

Legend
Geez, hopefully all of these red flags opens up the right eyes and Mason gets the help he needs to lead a normal life. Sounds like there are some issues he needs help working through before he can worry about carrying a ball around.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At this point it just sounds like he needs to get help. I hope he gets it before he hurts himself or others. Football comes secondary to getting help.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
When things like this happen I really wonder how all those big hits to the head effect a player. I don't know Mason personally but he seemed pretty well adjusted in college and early in his career and this change seems pretty drastic. You just have to wonder how head injuries played into this. I wish him the best and hope he gets better.

From the article it sounds much more like a substance abuse problem. His family said that Mason agreed to check himself into a facility... but he didn’t.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
...I think he is gone now, for sure. But the boy needs help. He is self-destructive.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
From the article it sounds much more like a substance abuse problem. His family said that Mason agreed to check himself into a facility... but he didn’t.

Could also be a mental health facility, since it mentioned the family was concerned about his mental health. Can't really say until we have more information. Also our main source is TMZ, so all of this should be taken with a grain of salt.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
"...hasn't slept in days..."

kid is strung the freak out - guaranteed.

That screams drug abuse, and definitely not weed either. Cocaine is more likely. It's either that or a mental disorder. Either way I hope Mason gets help for his own sake. I doubt he'll be a Ram for much longer but I still hope he gets his life together before it's too late.

A55VA6

Legend
I remember on YouTube and Twitter people would be like
'WHY DID THE RAMS DRAFT GURLEY WHEN THEY HAVE TRE MASON???'

Well, it's quite obvious now.