Is Tre Mason a goner?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
2016 Rams Roster Preview: RB Tre Mason’s Absenteeism May Go Way Beyond OTA's
By Brandon Bate@NoPlanB_ on Jul 6, 2016, 9:00a 35

usa-today-8209655.0.jpg

Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

It’s quite possible we’ve seen the last of Tre Mason in a Rams’ uniform.

 TWEET SHARE (45) PIN
In the final game of the 2015 NFL season, Los Angeles Rams’ running back Tre Mason got just his third start of the year. In that game - against the 49ers - he saw 18 carries, ran for 44 yards (2.4 ypc), and had one rushing touchdown (his lone score on the year). The 18 touches marked a single game season-high, and accounted for nearly 25% of his handoffs on the year.

#Yikes

Following the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft, in which the Rams’ selected Todd Gurley, I think we all (including Mason) knew it was only a matter of time until he lost the starting gig. But I’m not sure any of us (including Mason) were prepared for the drastic drop-off in touches and production.

And that brings us to the 2016 offseason, where Gurley is healthy, with a full season under his belt, and being discussed as a potential candidate for the league’s rushing title. Contrarily, discussion about Mason is whether or not Week 17 of the 2015 season was the last time he’d be seen in a Rams’ uniform.

Roster Battle
At this point, with Mason having missed the entirety of OTA’s following an arrest on March 5 of this year, it’s difficult to continue viewing Mason as the RB2 for this team.

It certainly shouldn’t be assumed.

A slew of young UDFA running backs (Benny Cunningham, Malcolm Brown, Aaron Green and the recently-acquired Terrence Magee) were all on the field last month getting meaningful reps with the offense. Mason’s 75 carries in 2015 can be easily replaced by any of the aforementioned youngsters, and, at 2.8 yards a clip, easily improved upon.

Mason’s job is up for grabs, making the offseason competition as Gurley’s primary backup that much more intriguing.

Expectations
Not much. A suspension of some magnitude, and a very good shot at trying out for a new team.

Minimally, less carries, less yards, and, in all likelihood, one less touchdown.

Chances of Making the Final Roster (3/10)
I think I’m being generous here, because I no longer think Mason adds any value to this team.

I’m positive they can find a way to replace 2.8 ypc with one of their other backs; to include Tavon Austin, who - with 23 less carries than Mason - rushed for 434 yds (8.3 ypc), and four touchdowns last year. Sadly, having seen how other seemingly useless RB’s have lingered around unnecessarily in year’s past, I fear Jeff Fisher may still think Mason can be a contributor on this team.

That said, Fisher had this to say to the media following one of the team’s OTA sessions:

In our minds, we just have to prepare ourselves that Tre’s not going to be here.

Well, you get to make those decisions, Jeff. And maybe you already have. Let’s cut bait, take the $318,750 hit in dead money, and give these UDFA’s a go at it.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't know about y'all, but Mason looks like he's burned his bridges as a Ram. Not easy to thoroughly piss Fisher off so quickly, but Mason seems to have managed it.

An example of how hard it is to see into the head and heart of a player during pre draft evals.

Does he even have trade value now?

And after such a promising rookie season...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
All the talent but he's missing the heart, love of the game, competitiveness, whatever you want to call it. Good riddance.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
never quite got why they didnt trade him instead of stacy while his value was high. oh well live and learn

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Attitude is huge. Measured in Manzeils, (The new attitude barometer taking the world by storm! A "10" is a total douche, or a "Manzeil.") Tre is about a 4.5- 5.0 on the Manzeil scale.

Kurt Warner, for example is about a .005 Manzeil. I would say Dez Bryant is an 8.0

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Tre looked good against Oakland 2 seasons ago. He would run through tackles.
-- Last season was a joke. He had his brother in the locker room & said his bro is going to be great as well.Just sad how far he has fallen.

RamzFanz

Damnit
4.3 YPC as a rookie isn't bad at all. I think he just yiked along with Stacey and gave up. He gives me the impression he thinks he's better than he is and won't be satisfied as a role player. The only time I met him, the offense was headed out and he was alone in a chair doing what appeared to be moping.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
4.3 YPC as a rookie isn't bad at all. I think he just yiked along with Stacey and gave up. He gives me the impression he thinks he's better than he is and won't be satisfied as a role player. The only time I met him, the offense was headed out and he was alone in a chair doing what appeared to be moping.
When Tre was in Oxnard last season it seemed like he was in the dog house already.
Bennie is the man,he is way underrated.When The Rams needed a big play it always seemed Bennie would come through. He really set the tone against Seattle to start the season.
Then against they went to sorry azz Tre who couldn't do jack. That is my opinion on it. Why The Rams wanted to use Tavin in the backfield more than Bennie is confusing. Bennie handles pass protection better than all the backs as well.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm very comfortable with Benny as our #2 for a game or so... But I really like the change up Mason brings.

I hope he can get his head on straight. Unlike Pead, Mason showed promise on game days.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
#27 RB TRE MASON 5'8 207 lbs (Turns 23 on 08/06/2016)
tumblr_njk80nXXUT1r0c122o1_500.jpg

2015 ATT.... 75... YDS... 207... YPA... 2.8... TD... 1... .Rec....18... YDS.... 88... YPC... 4.9... TD.. 0
2014 ATT.. 179... YDS... 765... YPA... 4.3... TD... 4... Rec... 16... YDS.. 148... YPC... 9.3... TD.. 1

2 Year CAREER: ATT.. 254.. YDS.. 972 .. AVG.. 3.8.. TD.. 5.. Receptions.. 34 YDS.. 236.. YPC.. 6.9.. TD.. 1

[www.spotrac.com]
Tre Mason signed a 4 year, $2,980,938 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including a $637,500 signing bonus, $637,500 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $745,235. In 2016, Mason will earn a base salary of $641,146. Mason has a cap hit of $800,521 while his dead money value is $318,750.

[www.dailynews.com]
Mason was arrested March 5 in Hollywood, Fla., where police allegedly saw him drive more than twice the speed limit in a 35-mile-per-hour zone. According to a written report, police subdued Mason by tasing him twice after pulling him over. They then found 12 grams of marijuana in his Porsche.

A third-round draft pick in 2014, Mason is facing misdemeanor charges that include reckless driving, resisting arrest, and possession of marijuana.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/st-louis-rams-tre-mason-benched-violation-team-rules-112215
Nov 22, 2015 St. Louis Rams backup running back Tre Mason was inactive for Sunday's game at Baltimore due to a violation of team rules. Rams coach Jeff Fisher did not disclose the nature of the infraction, but it was reported during the game telecast that Mason and offensive lineman Isaiah Battle both missed the team bus Saturday.
newsinconebyone.png

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (AP) — Los Angeles Rams running back Tre Mason was subdued with a stun gun twice when he refused to cooperate with officers who were arresting him in South Florida for reckless driving and marijuana possession, police in Hollywood, Florida, said Sunday.

HOW THE HECK DO YOU GET TASED TWICE?
giphy.gif

http://video.nydailynews.com/?ndn.t...1&sitesection=nydailynews-sports&vid=30447732
32720519.jpg

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Monday, March 7, 2016, 7:22 AM

Last edited: