Is Todd Gurley the next Marshawn Lynch?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/7...kie-comparisons-will-the-experts-get-it-right

2015 St. Louis Rams Rookie Comparisons: Will The Experts Get It Right?
By Brandon Bate@NoPlanB_

usa-today-8556510.0.jpg

Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

James Laurinaitis to Brian Urlacher...Sam Bradford to Eli Manning...Isaiah Pead to Chris Johnson...if you’ve heard one comparison you’ve heard ‘em all. But will the experts get it right in 2015?

Making comparisons is every fans - and experts -way of placing value on the level of expected production from an NFL rookie. It’s relatively easy to do, and it’s certainly entertaining. Getting it right is the hard part. Have a look at some of the player comparisons made for St. Louis Rams’ rookies over the past eight seasons…

2008 Rookie: [DE] Chris Long
Comparison: Aaron Kampman

Like Kampman, Long is not the fastest, nor is he the strongest defensive end you will find. He lacks the blazing speed you look for in an edge rusher and will struggle to shed blocks at times, but like the Packers standout, he has great field savvy, vision and determination. He knows when he needs to avoid blockers rather than try to overpower them, as he really doesn't have that blow-up strength (good, not great) to dominate, anyway.

What he does is take good angles in pursuit and display excellent lateral range working down the line. In a scheme that will let him press the outside shoulder of an offensive tackle, he will have good success. With his pad level and in-line instincts, he could also earn quality minutes as a defensive tackle in a 4-3 alignment, but is more ideally suited to play defensive end in a 3-4 formation

2008 Rookie: [WR] Donnie Avery
Comparison: Devery Henderson

...is quite possibly the fastest player in the 2008 class. While there's no doubt of his homerun-hitting potential for the next level, Avery remains too one-dimensional, with really just the ability to run go routes to threaten a defense. He is somewhat reminiscent of New Orleans and former LSU burner Devery Henderson, who has not transitioned to the NFL very well.

2009 Rookie: [LT] Jason Smith
Comparison: Walter Jones

He is really one of those 10-year left tackle type guys. He is really in my eyes a No. 1 guy. You'd love to have a guy like that. He's a Walter Jones left tackle who could play forever. He's got it all with the size and athletic ability. He's clean.

2009 Rookie: [MLB] James Laurinaitis
Comparison: Brian Urlacher

A three-time AP All-American, Laurinaitis is the most recognized player in the 2009 draft. Blessed with a rare combination of size and athleticism -- drawing comparison toBears Pro Bowl MLB Brian Urlacher -- Laurinaitis burst onto the scene as a sophomore, earning the 2006 Bronko Nagurski Award (top defensive player). He won the Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker and again in the Lott Trophy in '08 as the nation's best all-around defensive player.

2010 Rookie: [QB] Sam Bradford
Comparison: Eli Manning

Like Eli, Bradford lacks the elite arm, but he is a superb decision-maker with great accuracy and decision-making. Both have limited upside
Not Comparable To: Mark Sanchez, Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan, &Joe Flacco
I think he has major, major challenges ahead of him. Sam Bradford is not Mark Sanchez. He is not Matthew Stafford. He is not Matt Ryan. I would say he’s not even Joe Flacco.

2010 Rookie: [WR] Mardy Gilyard
Comparison: Joshua Cribbs

I wouldn't compare him to DeSean Jackson or Percy Harvin I would compare him to a receiving Joshua Cribbs.

2011 Rookie: [DE] Robert Quinn
Comparison: DeMarcus Ware

Mayock sees Quinn as "not so much different" from DeMarcus Ware entering the NFL.

2012 Rookie: [WR] Brian Quick
Comparison: Terrell Owens
From: Rams’ WRs Coach, Ray Sherman. [via Mike Silver, Yahoo! Sports]

I see a lot of similarities to Terrell Owens. The way the kid goes and gets the ball, the physicality, the desire ... he has a chance to be special, no doubt.

2012 Rookie: [RB] Isaiah Pead
Comparison: Chris Johnson

I really liked him when I evaluated him. And from talking to the guys in St. Louis, I know they're very high on him. Jeff Fisher sees some traits in (Pead) that remind him of Chris Johnson.

2013 Rookie: [WR] Tavon Austin
Comparison: Randall Cobb, Reggie Bush, Percy Harvin, Wes Welker, & Darren Sproles.
NFL.com’s Draft Profile Compares Tavon to Randall Cobb

Tavon compares himself to Reggie Bush, stating he's:
...another type of player like Reggie (Bush). Me and him would probably be twins back there

NFL Network Analyst/Legendary Ram, Marshall Faulk:
Listen to me, I am pounding the desk. This guy here is a playmaker. He's Percy Harvin and Wes Welker wrapped into one.

RotoWorld’s Evan Silva:
He's like a lankier, more naturally elusive Darren Sproles.

2013 Rookie: [RB] Zac Stacy
Comparison: Doug Martin
Both players are strong, compact runners. Stacy lacks elite top end speed and chose more often to run through defenders instead of out running them.

Martin didn’t have great speed either, and in fact both of the players ran 4.55 forties. Physically the two players are nearly identical and in a relatively weak running back class it’s surprising that Stacy has been so undervalued up to this point. There’s a great chance that Stacy could eventually be one of the best values in this class.

2014 Rookie [OT] Greg Robinson
Comparison: Anthony Davis

Like Davis, the physically-gifted talent selected No. 11 overall in 2010, Robinson boasts all of the traits to emerge as a dominating presence in the NFL. Whereas Davis entered the NFL with a history of weight issues and immaturity serving as potential red-flags to scouts, Robinson's relative inexperience (especially in pass protection) appears to be the only thing that could keep him from earning a blue chip grade.

2014 Rookie [DT] Aaron Donald
Comparison: John Randle, Geno Atkins

Like Randle, Donald is a virtual Energizer Bunny, demonstrating rare hustle for an interior lineman. He's explodes off the snap and uses his natural leverage advantage and surprising power to overwhelm blockers and is effective against both the run and pass. -

CBS Sports - Donald is a disruptive one-gap three-technique defensive tackle. The lack of size (6-foot-1, 285 pounds) concerns some teams, but not me. He had a really big week at the Senior Bowl. He's as quick a defensive tackle I've seen since Geno Atkins. - Mike Mayock

2014 Rookie [CB] Lamarcus Joyner
Comparison: Ronde Barber

This is lofty praise for Joyner to be compared to a Hall of Fame candidate, but Joyner has a similar game to the Barber over the final 3-4 years of the long-time Buc's career. In that time, Barber was used as a jack-of-all-trades who would line up as an outside corner, slot corner, safety and the eighth man in the box. Barber used his instincts to make plays even after he was losing his speed in his mid-30s. Joyner is similar size to Barber (5-9, 180). Joyner could go in third round, and Barber was also a third-round pick out of Virginia. In the NFL, I see Joyner as being a poor man's Ronde Barber.

2014 Rookie [RB] Tre Mason
Comparison: Ray Rice

Mason's compact build, vision and ability to cut and go with underrated power is reminiscent of a young Rice. Much of Rice's success at Rutgers and since with the Ravens has come from a traditional I-formation attack.

2015 Rookie [RB] Todd Gurley
Comparison: Marshawn Lynch, Adrian Peterson

I like the Marshawn Lynch comparison. St. Louis wants to win games the same way that Seattle and San Francisco do in the same division, that is by running the football and playing great defense and special teams. Gurley has Olympic-type speed. I love this pick for St. Louis, which already has a great defense and Gurley will help out Nick Foles. -

Mike Mayock - My No. 1 running back is Todd Gurley. This guy combines the size and the skill set to get it done in the National Football League. I love to see a big man like this with the combination of size, strength, speed, and vision. I'll tell you what, he is the best prospect we've probably had (at running back) since Adrian Peterson. - Ladainian Tomlinson

2015 Rookie [OT] Rob Havenstein
Comparison: Phil Loadholt, Mitchell Schwartz

Has the size and mentality needed to be a strong run blocker. Quick for a player his size. Has the length to protect the edge. Didn't get called for holding once in 2014 and rarely allowed sacks. Had success against Nebraska pass rusher Randy Gregory. Badgers' Melvin Gordon often ran behind him last season. Comes from long line of successful pro linemen at Wisconsin.

SI.com - Havenstein is athletic, long, powerful, smart and technically sound at the right tackle position—a lot like Mitchell Schwartz in Cleveland.

2015 Rookie [OG] Jamon Brown
Comparison: Dallas Thomas

Intriguing tackle/guard prospect. His mass and athletic limitations are best-suited inside and his quickness off the snap could be an indicator that Brown's best football could be ahead of him. With a wider base and better body control, Brown could become a starting guard or potential tackle in power scheme. - Lance Zierlein

And there you have it. Is it possible the Rams drafted the next Marshawn Lynch or Adrian Peterson when they took Gurley 10th overall in the 2015 NFL draft? And did they help him potentially achieve that kind of production when they drafted players likened to Loadholt and Thomas?

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I like the Marshawn Lynch comparison. St. Louis wants to win games the same way that Seattle and San Francisco do in the same division, that is by running the football and playing great defense and special teams. Gurley has Olympic-type speed. I love this pick for St. Louis, which already has a great defense and Gurley will help out Nick Foles. -

Mike Mayock - My No. 1 running back is Todd Gurley. This guy combines the size and the skill set to get it done in the National Football League. I love to see a big man like this with the combination of size, strength, speed, and vision. I'll tell you what, he is the best prospect we've probably had (at running back) since Adrian Peterson. - Ladainian Tomlinson

:party::rockon::bow:

jap

Legend
I have never been crazy about the Marshawn Lynch comparison to Todd. Marshawn runs very low to the ground with great balance---that's where he gets a lot of his leverage against defenders. Gurley looks to have more power, speed, vision, and perhaps even quickness over Marshawn. This is no knock against Marshawn---Todd is simply a better athlete.

Comparisons to Adrian, Marcus Dupree, and, in some respects, Eric "the Great" Dickerson are much more appropriate. If Todd resurrects and maintains his health, he may seriously challenge Eric's NFL seasonal rushing record of 2105 yards.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Comparisons: setting expectations too high then proclaiming the guy a bust b/c he didn't live up to said expectations. Often after just a year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't really see Lynch in Gurley's running style.

ausmurp

Starter
AP, I've been saying it since the draft. Same EXACT size down to the pound. Reported same 40 to the 100th of a second. Insane how similar.

Lets just hope this is right :)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
AP, I've been saying it since the draft. Same EXACT size down to the pound. Reported same 40 to the 100th of a second. Insane how similar.

Lets just hope this is right :)

Yep. Gurley looks more like AP when you watch them run, as opposed to Lynch.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not as much power as Lynch, but way more speed....Kinda ED/Bo Jackson-ish....hey that's what I see....

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
It's said that Dilfer pegged Bradford, but then also supremely overvalued Sanchez at the same time.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
2014 Rookie [RB] Tre Mason
Comparison: Ray Rice

Mason's compact build, vision and ability to cut and go with underrated power is reminiscent of a young Rice. Much of Rice's success at Rutgers and since with the Ravens has come from a traditional I-formation attack.

Mike Mayock - My No. 1 running back is Todd Gurley. This guy combines the size and the skill set to get it done in the National Football League. I love to see a big man like this with the combination of size, strength, speed, and vision. I'll tell you what, he is the best prospect we've probably had (at running back) since Adrian Peterson. - Ladainian Tomlinso

Hmm
todd-gurley-nfl-st.-louis-rams-press-conference2-850x560.jpg

St. Louis Rams first round draft pick Todd Gurley talks with the media during a press conference at Rams Park. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

St. Louis Rams Roster Preview - Running Backs
by Matt LaPan 22m ago

Running Backs on Roster (8): Malcolm Brown, Benny Cunningham, Terrence Franks, Todd Gurley, Tre Mason, Isaiah Pead, Chase Reynolds, Trey Watts. Fullback Zach Laskey

The St. Louis Rams hit a home run in the 2014 NFL Draft when they selected Tre Mason out of Auburn with the 75th overall pick. He brought a legitimate running presence to a team that was in desperate need of one after losing Steven Jackson, their all-time leading rusher, ahead of the 2013 season.

Despite his big rookie season, Mason will likely be a backup in 2015. This is because the Rams used the 10th overall selection in the 2015 NFL Draft to select Georgia running back Todd Gurley. With the pick, general manager Les Snead selected an elite talent that was the best player available on the board over team need — a common practice in the NFL Draft.

With the selection the Rams now have a loaded backfield that could be an essential piece in their ability to compete in the hard-nosed NFC West in 2015.

Gurley was widely considered as one of the top players in all of college football throughout his career before a torn ACL ended his final season. Gurley boasts great size (6’1″ and 227 pounds) speed and toughness. He hits the hole quickly, has the ability to run over defenders with the speed to get around them. Gurley is also a very good receiver out of the backfield, hauling in 65 receptions in three years at Georgia.

Gurley is the complete package and will benefit greatly from the revamped Rams offensive line. The major question will be around when Gurley will be at 100-percent in his recovery. After tearing his ACL in November, Gurley is yet to return to full football activities.

“The biggest thing is just being patient,” Gurley said when he addressed the media about his injury after being drafted. “You wanna just keep moving forward and doing other stuff. But, just keeping patient.”

Gurley was also asked if he was past the worst part of the rehab process. He drew a laugh as he responded, “I hope I am.”

If Gurley is slowed or unavailable by the start of the season, the Rams have a very good backup plan in Tre Mason. Mason was the team’s leading rusher in 2014, compiling 765 yards in 12 games. While the overall number is not overly impressive, Mason’s 4.3 yards per carry was quite impressive with the struggles of the Rams offensive line in front of him.

Mason, much like Gurley, hits the hole hard and fast. He came on late in the year, especially in a 117-yard three-touchdown performance against Oakland in Week 13. Mason also showed a decent ability to catch the ball out of the backfield late in the season, but remained primarily a runner.

Behind Mason is a big group that will be fighting to serve as the likely 3rd down back for 2015. The group includes Benny Cunningham, Isaiah Pead, Trey Watts and others. Of that group Cunningham is most likely to assume the 3rd down back role. He is entering his third year with the Rams, and is coming off a very successful season. Cunningham ran for 246 yards and three touchdowns, but proved to be a very good receiving option out of the backfield.

He hauled in 45 receptions on 52 targets for 352 yards and one touchdown. Cunningham’s 45 receptions were tied for the 7th most amongst running backs in the NFL with Pierre Thomas. His route running ability and elusiveness in the open field make Cunningham a great candidate to add a different dimension to the Rams backfield. His quickness also makes him a decent threat in the run game, when needed.

Behind Cunningham could be a good battle for a change-of-pace back between Pead and Watts. Pead will be entering his 4th year in the NFL and looking to rebound after missing 2014 with a torn ACL. Pead is a bigger contributor on special teams, but provides a good pass catching ability and great speed out of the backfield. Watts has an extremely similar game to Pead. Both are smaller players with great speed and good pass catching ability. Watts also has a good return ability, and will be entering just his second year in the NFL.

It is likely that the Rams will also elect to keep another running back on the roster in Chase Reynolds. He will not factor into the running back depth chart, but rather on special teams. Reynolds has carved out a role as a core special teams player in St. Louis, making him a valuable roster player for Jeff Fisher.

The Rams also have two rookie running backs on their roster – Malcolm Brown and Terrence Franks. Brown is a short-yardage back who could carve out a role due to his size, strength and possible special teams ability.

Brown could be a solid back to help wear down teams late in games, pushing forward for yards on a consistent basis. Franks is of a similar build, but would likely be nothing more than a special teams player.

Finally, the Rams are currently carrying one fullback on their roster – Zach Laskey. Laskey is looking to become the first true fullback for the Rams since the 2010 season. He played B-back in a triple option system at Georgia Tech, proving that he also has good running ability. The major question lies in Laskey’s blocking ability.

If he is able to prove himself as a reasonable blocker, the Rams would likely jump at the opportunity to have a fullback lining up in front of their new investment in the backfield, Gurley. It will benefit Laskey to be in a Jeff Fisher system as he is known for loving hard-nosed, grinding football.

Projected Depth Chart

RB1 – Todd Gurley

RB2 – Tre Mason

RB3 – Benny Cunningham

RB4 – Isaiah Pead

RB5 – Chase Reynolds

FB – Zach Laskey

Not on the Roster – Trey Watts, Malcolm Brown, Terrence Franks

http://nflspinzone.com/2015/07/08/st-louis-rams-roster-preview-running-backs/

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
And Gurley can actually speak to the cameras.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Ive never really understood the Gurley/Lynch comparison love-fest. I think their games differ quite a bit.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I can really see why the guy that compared Jason Smith to Walter Jones would want to remain anonymous.. He's not the only one to speak highly of Smith, but I don't remember hearing anybody else make that comparison...If you're going to say that, then you have to call him the next Orlando Pace... WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!