Is Tim Barnes still an unsigned FA?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A poster on another board recently described Boudreau as "A man that has lost his fastball".

Very clever and kinda funny, but you know what? I think it might be an accurate description, after all.

Clearly, help is on the way.

Kromer>Boudreau
Whit>GRob
Sullivan>Barnes
Saffold remains, probably at LG

That's 60% of starting OL, not to mention the upgrade at OL coach.

I see a C taken in this draft, as well. One that just might be a starter by mid season, if not sooner.

There's gonna be a fierce battle at RG and at RT, too. Four or five way competition. The end result bodes well for a probable improvement in play on the right side, don't you think?

Yep. I see a substantial improvement in OL play and effectiveness in '17 over last year's pathetic results.

Thank Gawd!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Heh this is a perfect example of why PFF is such a scam. The translation of how you are referencing their so-called grades is "they matter when I think they matter". Given that truth, you don't need PFF as a "starting point", just start and end with what you saw. PFF fake grades give no added weight or credibility to any discussion as the speaker always just uses them to support what they say and ignore when they don't, so no point.
Don't tell me what I think, bot.

NFL teams use PFF as a starting point as well and then they do their own research and I was doing the same because I felt like it.
You do your own research like you want to and I won't tell you how to do it.
How's that for a deal?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

NFL teams use PFF as a starting point as well and then they do their own research and I was doing the same because I felt like it.
You do your own research like you want to and I won't tell you how to do it.
How's that for a deal?
No offense, but I think that NFL teams, watch tons of film, matchups, etc, and when they do, also use metrics, which I'm sure they do, they are part of sports, all sports now, I'm not sure they use PFF as a starting point. If you start your eval there, that is fine. Just my opinion on PFF. Everyone that does this seriously, uses their own methods. To me, game tape, means almost everything.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
PFF is a starting point. One that NFL teams use as well.

I used the numbers from PFF because they pretty much confirmed what I saw.
Though I do think Barnes got a bit of a high-grade I agree with the 39 for Robinson. He was awful and the first player they knew they had to replace with a high-quality free agent.

Done.
Agreed Dr. Ram,
Here's the entire quote.
I guess I could have said that "it's a starting point that some COACHES MAY use. Of course they are going to look at tons of film, talk to other coaches, maybe look at their College film depending on how in-depth they want to check the guy out. PFF is just a readily and easily available measuring stick used by apparently 24 teams in the NFL as well.

If bot wants to go on some rent about or against PFF then I say go for it.

I did take exception to him telling me "why I used it" or "when I used it".

Nothing wrong with a spirited debate but I don't like people telling me what I'm thinking or why I did something as if they know.

lockdnram21

Legend
A poster on another board recently described Boudreau as "A man that has lost his fastball".

Very clever and kinda funny, but you know what? I think it might be an accurate description, after all.

Clearly, help is on the way.

Kromer>Boudreau
Whit>GRob
Sullivan>Barnes
Saffold remains, probably at LG

That's 60% of starting OL, not to mention the upgrade at OL coach.

I see a C taken in this draft, as well. One that just might be a starter by mid season, if not sooner.

There's gonna be a fierce battle at RG and at RT, too. Four or five way competition. The end result bodes well for a probable improvement in play on the right side, don't you think?

Yep. I see a substantial improvement in OL play and effectiveness in '17 over last year's pathetic results.

Thank Gawd!
Robinson will probably be RT

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
He's still Fishing w/ Jeff Fisher in Montana, reports say the cellular reception is terrible in their fishing spot, and Tim can't figure out why his family nor agent haven't hit him up on his hotline.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I didn't tell you what to think, my point was I don't care what PFF thinks. If I wanted to know what PFF thinks I'd go to their website, but I come here for the entire purpose to read what fellow Rams fans think so I hope you continue to say what you think.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Robinson will probably be RT

If Hav is healthy, and I think he now is, I wouldn't be so sure, 21.

RT might be up in the air per recent McVay statements, true.

But I think Hav still has the inside track to be RT starter. Enough to make a friendly and small wager with you, I think. Lol.

lockdnram21

Legend

But I think Hav still has the inside track to be RT starter. Enough to make a friendly and small wager with you, I think. Lol.
They said there going to put Hav at guard... Also I think Hav play from rookie year was overrated...

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler

Rams43,
I don't think Hav being moved to guard has anything to do with his health. According to Snead it has more to do with his football intelligence and the fact that he will be able to process the info required to play guard.
This of course doesn't say much for GRob and is rather a slap at his being a football dullard but it is what it is at this point.

I still think that Hav's best position may be at right tackle but as long as GRob is in the mix the best place for him on the Rams' OL is guard.

What say ye?

~ArkyRamsFan~

Rams43

Hall of Fame
They said there going to put Hav at guard... Also I think Hav play from rookie year was overrated...

Hell, they say a lot of things as the new coaches try to get acquainted with their players, 21. Especially before there has even been the first OTA. Lol.

Largely coachspeak.

If I were either Tavon or GRob, I would take little comfort in the friendly words I hear coming from McVay. I would hit the deck running in my very best attempt to impress all of my coaches.

Former starting teammates such as Barnes, Britt, and Quick are now long gone because they were deemed unworthy AND were not sheltered by "uncuttable" contracts. Message should have been received after ample evidence that it's all about production for starters once those contracts become cuttable. Hope GRob and Tavon are wise enough to read the handwriting on the wall.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hell, they say a lot of things as the new coaches try to get acquainted with their players, 21. Especially before there has even been the first OTA. Lol.

Largely coachspeak.

If I were either Tavon or GRob, I would take little comfort in the friendly words I hear coming from McVay. I would hit the deck running in my very best attempt to impress all of my coaches.

Former starting teammates such as Barnes, Britt, and Quick are now long gone because they were deemed unworthy AND were not sheltered by "uncuttable" contracts. Message should have been received after ample evidence that it's all about production for starters once those contracts become cuttable. Hope GRob and Tavon are wise enough to read the handwriting on the wall.

You are 100% correct. Bulls-eye strike! I would hope for the Rams & their own careers that they (GRob/TA) "get a clue" here.

Back to your good points brought up in previous post above .......the "Coach- Speak" pressers on Rob Havenstein was clear to me. First if RH can not return to previous rookie season playing level & improve from that he will be moved inside to compete with others good RG candidates for the starting position. I am sure the Rams would prefer that RH ends up @ starting RT. But when you add in the GRob negative situation into the mix you get what we heard in coach-speak pressers. RH has a future here if he can get healthy & earn a starting post on that right side.Fact is the Rams have a very good cadre of RT's candidates on the roster now & the need for GRob to be that is not high.

On the other hand GRob future as a Ram is coming to a close & it could be closer that we think (IMO) It will take a miracle for GRob to be considered for a future contract. Rams will have stand to have 3 to 4 RT's under contract already & they are salary cap friendly. Anyone who thinks that GRob will sign for a cap friendly contract is foolish. He is used to getting big millions. What few $$ the Rams will have will no longer be wasted on a ineffective highly expensive OL'er.

The plan or hope is to provide GRob the opportunity to work for a new starting position @ the Ram Mgt's preferred best GRob post that they selected was RT. Now to wrap up my red ink comment....currently a roster spot being held open for GRob is not costing much nor is there a need to move on or open one up @ the moment thus he is still here. But when the final roster cuts come at the conclusion of pre season his roster spot presser magnifies greatly as we know then the value of the 53 spot if GRob has not earned a spot his future here is done even if he will earn 7 million for eating pizza on his sofa unemployed.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It sure wouldn't take much for this^^ to happen!!(y):snicker::shades: