Is This TOO Wacky to Happen??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
There seems to be a little thinking that perhaps the Rams could stand a little help on the OL. :)

And a large majority of the discussion revolving around how to resolve the need(s) involves signing some combination of the 'Group of 3' FA's or......., drafting OL first, last, & only in the upcoming Suspect Draft.

But what if we could make a trade to fill at least one of those spots? Who would I trade? My first thought was draft picks. But given we don't have a full complement of picks this year, that idea seems unlikely.

My next thought was someone on Defense? But who? And then I stumbled on the idea of trading CLong for a starting quality OL.

Why Long? Mostly because I'm thinking he's the most easily replaceable. I.e., there are at least 3 DE's whose names are consistently mocked in the Top 10 in the upcoming draft. If we could grab one of those with the #10 pick, we could have Long's replacement and a starting OL.

The obvious question is.......is there a team out there rich in OL who might be interested in Long....AND his contract? It's probably a long shot, but I'd just throw it out there and see if maybe it sticks.

Any trade of Chris Long would have to involve the Rams obtaining a franchise QB.
To trade him for a starting OLineman would be foolish as the later are easier to find, IMO.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
He wasn't the reason our line start playing well it was Donald. We're still a top defense without him . He pretty good imo he's overrated
no he's not overrated. he's a Top 10 DE since hes been in the league. one of the most consistent pass rushers in the league and until last season in breakable. who do you think pushes half those sacks into Quinn.

V3

Hall of Fame
Here's my wacky off the wall idea for fixing the OL, what we do is we draft talent at the position, taking 2 in the top 3 rounds, and then start them. I know, I know, people don't want to start 2 rookies on the offensive line, but imagine the dividends a line of:

Robinson / rookie (Cann?) / Jones / Saffold / rookie (Scherff?) would pay in 2018 when all but Jones are still under contract and they've all developed chemistry together over 48+ games, sure we'll take our lumps early by starting such an inexperienced line, but you can't convince me it would be worse than watching Wells and Joseph for a year, and that it won't be worth it when it does pay off.
Foles would probably get injured next year and our offense would again SUCK.. And then the Rams have to decide if they want to extend him. That's the same issue they were going to have with Bradford.

You can't keep risking the health of your QB!

And to assume that some rookies will come in and both play well is not wise, IMO. Just look at GRob. He was the 2nd pick in the whole draft and didn't exactly set the world on fire. He was lost at times. Now add TWO rookies to the equation.

Sorry, I absolutely hate the idea of playing two rookies next year. Sadly, that's probably what's going to happen at this point.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Not unless the OL is an all-world kind of guy. There was another post here recently which showed some numbers on Long that illustrate how truly disruptive he really is to other teams despite more gaudy sack numbers from other guys. Another team had better put a LOT on the table if they want CLong. Otherwise, no.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Foles would probably get injured next year and our offense would again SUCK.. And then the Rams have to decide if they want to extend him. That's the same issue they were going to have with Bradford.

You can't keep risking the health of your QB!

And to assume that some rookies will come in and both play well is not wise, IMO. Just look at GRob. He was the 2nd pick in the whole draft and didn't exactly set the world on fire. He was lost at times. Now add TWO rookies to the equation.

Sorry, I absolutely hate the idea of playing two rookies next year. Sadly, that's probably what's going to happen at this point.

Fine let's go with below average stop gap free agents, it's worked brilliantly for the last 10+ years.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would make that trade that you just described. For sure.
You guys should get your RAM CARDS taken away.

Chris Long ?? Really ??

Don't quit your day jobs.Let Snead do his thing.I actually like the fact he felt(still) those losses in 2014.Chris Long means so much to this team right now!!

Go Rams !!

V3

Hall of Fame
Fine let's go with below average stop gap free agents, it's worked brilliantly for the last 10+ years.
Whether they're below average is your opinion. The fact of the matter is Snisher has failed the O-line and now they are reaping what they sowed. They've neglected drafting lineman high enough in the draft(other than GRob) in their tenure so now they're essentially forced to pick their poison. Neither option is optimal.

FrankenRam

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He wasn't the reason our line start playing well it was Donald. We're still a top defense without him . He pretty good imo he's overrated

Based on some of the responses in the thread, I would certainly agree he's overrated by some on this forum. While I like him and think he's very good, he's never made a ProBowl.

And he certainly wasn't THE catalyst in the D's improvement last season. He was one of the catalysts, but there had already been a fair amount of improvement during the season after Donald started playing regularly AND IMO, after the team started to 'get' Williams' scheme,

FrankenRam

Starter
Any trade of Chris Long would have to involve the Rams obtaining a franchise QB.
To trade him for a starting OLineman would be foolish as the later are easier to find, IMO.

A franchise QB? Seriously? Who in their right mind would give up a franchise QB for a good DE that's never made a ProBowl.

FrankenRam

Starter
no he's not overrated. he's a Top 10 DE since hes been in the league. one of the most consistent pass rushers in the league and until last season in breakable. who do you think pushes half those sacks into Quinn.

If he's THAT good, shouldn't he have been to at least one Pro Bowl by now?

FrankenRam

Starter
You guys should get your RAM CARDS taken away.

Chris Long ?? Really ??

Don't quit your day jobs.Let Snead do his thing.I actually like the fact he felt(still) those losses in 2014.Chris Long means so much to this team right now!!

Go Rams !!

There can almost never be any sacred cows on any team. Any GM worth his salt should listen to ALL trade offers for anyone on their team. There will be exceptions...., i.e., the Colts would be crazy to trade ALuck, but unless you have a player of that stature, EVERYONE is potential trade bait.

CLong is good. I wouldn't relish losing him. But he is FAR from untouchable, and not remotely worth 'losing your Rams card' over. :rolleyes:

FrankenRam

Starter
I don't understand the mindset of trading core players away.

And I don't understand the mindset of not being willing to consider trading virtually anyone on the team if the trade would make the team better. NO one player comes above the team.

And the reality is you have to give up quality to get quality.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I thin our D-line would crumble a little without CLong, he was sorely missed when he was injured last year - he's too much of a talisman-type player, I also believe he makes Quinn a better player and more of a threat...

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Chris Long is mega underrated. Hugely important guy for our D. Consistently ranks near the top of the league in terms of QB pressures. Not easily replaceable at all.

lockdnram21

Legend
Top 10 my butt. He's Decent but he's not on Quinn or Donalds level. He has another year or 2 before he's gone

Memphis Ram

Legend
A franchise QB? Seriously? Who in their right mind would give up a franchise QB for a good DE that's never made a ProBowl.

Oh c'mon. He'd be a part of the trade package. Not the only chip in the deal.

BTW, the Pro Bowl is merely a popularity contest.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
If he's THAT good, shouldn't he have been to at least one Pro Bowl by now?
so a player is only deemed good by how many times he's been voted to the popularity contest they call the pro bowl? thats a seriously weak argument. oh btw he's been named an alternate to the pro bowl 3 times