is there any OT or C we could possibly trade for

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I don't think there'd be much point now. No team is going to give up someone great, and even if we could overpay to convince a team to part with a guy marginally better than what we already have, any advantage would be lost by that new guy needing to get up to speed and time to get the communication/comfort level. The real game is in 2 weeks, the time for experimenting with lineups is over. We had all these discussions back during the draft and free agency, no reason to rehash it. The Rams made their choice to go with the rookies/center competition thing, so we just have to hope they chose wisely.

fearsomefour

Legend
More likely to see if there are any surprise cuts. Does any team have "good" Oline depth?
I doubt anyone we would bring in at this point would be an upgrade.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Made your bed....
Take your medicine, son...
Famous last minute sayings....LOL
Havenstein is the reason for this post correct @lockdnram21 ? What did he do that made you concerned (besides two sacks allowed)? We lost all chance at a solid game running the ball with the last minute switching of guards...Speed rushers will bother a guy with slow feet. 3-4 teams will give him trouble..So glad I get to compare what Barks did vs KC (Houston..maybe Dee Ford) to what Havenstein will be up against next Thursday. I expect Havenstein to struggle in pass pro...But not for long...
I was encouraged to hear Donnall played pretty well. He played pretty good vs the Titans. Hopefully Battle played OK, and Wichmann got his feet wet.

Center position...how'd Jones look to you? Not a starter? There is not a good lineman walking the earth that hasn't been in a camp at this point. We'd only be going over scraps. Maybe we can trade a RB for a lineman...but I wouldn't want to...Funny thing is, that guy we had in last year, Person?, think he's starting somewhere...

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Made your bed....
Havenstein is the reason for this post correct @lockdnram21 ? What did he do that made you concerned (besides two sacks allowed)? We lost all chance at a solid game running the ball with the last minute switching of guards...Speed rushers will bother a guy with slow feet. 3-4 teams will give him trouble..So glad I get to compare what Barks did vs KC (Houston..maybe Dee Ford) to what Havenstein will be up against next Thursday. I expect Havenstein to struggle in pass pro...But not for long...
I was encouraged to hear Donnall played pretty well. He played pretty good vs the Titans. Hopefully Battle played OK, and Wichmann got his feet wet.

Center position...how'd Jones look to you? Not a starter? There is not a good lineman walking the earth that hasn't been in a camp at this point. We'd only be going over scraps. Maybe we can trade a RB for a lineman...but I wouldn't want to...Funny thing is, that guy we had in last year, Person?, think he's starting somewhere...
I'm talking about G Rob to he was awful. Hopefully Battle is ready by next season don't think GRob is the answer at LT

fearsomefour

Legend
Person is a versatile guy and when he got a few snaps in preseason played well at G. One preseason game last year he played every O line spot I believe.
If a T was traded for the Rams have their starting two and Battle will not be cut. So, it would have to be a guy they like right now better than Donnal....I guy they invested a draft pick in.
Same at C. They have a guy they have been working with for several years in Barnes, an athletic guy who can play C or G in Rhaney and Jones. Centers are difficult to find....even more than Gs or RTs. It would be nice if something fell in the Rams lap but I don't see it.
They are dancing with who they brought.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm talking about G Rob to he was awful. Hopefully Battle is ready by next season don't think GRob is the answer at LT
That is interesting.
I didn't see the game last night as it was not broadcast here. Robinson is still raw and plays with bad balance. A ton of potential and I don't think he will be bad most of the time, but, he will have his moments. The drafting of Battle was an interesting move to me.
I didn't like keeping Robinson at LT. I understand the move as they are hard to find and Saffold is better at G. I think Robinson may develop into a good LT but I think he could absolutely dominate at G. If Battle develops to that point to unseat Robinson, then Grob shift back inside.
Who know if that would ever happen. Robinson, Battle, Havenstien are certainly a group with talent (although I think Havenstien is going to need help vs speed guys)....more talent than the Rams have had at T in quite some time. But, they are raw.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guys started what 8 games in the NFL at tackle and we're ready to give up on GRob as bad and uncoachable now?

fearsomefour

Legend
Made your bed....

Person is starting at LG for the Falcons....at least according to their depth chart.

fearsomefour

Legend
Oldschool.....
Gotcha.
I think Robinson is too much of a physical talent not to sort it out and be very, very good somewhere. I don't care if it is at T or G to be honest. It takes 5 guys and he certainly is one of them. Having him settle LT for the next 12 years would be ideal. I just thought the addition of Battle was an interesting move.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
At this point, trading for another lineman is probably too late. Unless its for depth. Linemen need time to work together to be a cohesive unit. Plugging in another one, no matter how experienced, probably would not change things in pass protection.

I remember we got a couple of well regarded linemen about a dozen years ago and it really didn't work that well because they weren't familiar with each other. I can remember one particular pay where two guys were locking hands looking for someone to block while the defense was sacking the QB behind them.

Might as well stick it out with these guys and see if they turn into a good unit in a year or two. For those who want it now, well, the golf courses are probably wide open on football Sundays. :(

V3

Hall of Fame
Maybe we could give Dallas a 7th rounder for Collins. They're actually getting a pick for nothing. They didn't spend any pick for him so they're profiting. Sounds like a good deal to me.

#stillbitter

fearsomefour

Legend
At this point, trading for another lineman is probably too late. Unless its for depth. Linemen need time to work together to be a cohesive unit. Plugging in another one, no matter how experienced, probably would not change things in pass protection.

I remember we got a couple of well regarded linemen about a dozen years ago and it really didn't work that well because they weren't familiar with each other. I can remember one particular pay where two guys were locking hands looking for someone to block while the defense was sacking the QB behind them.

Might as well stick it out with these guys and see if they turn into a good unit in a year or two. For those who want it now, well, the golf courses are probably wide open on football Sundays. :(
Battle, Rhaney, Donnal, Jones/Barnes, Reynolds....there is not a lot of depth space available.
Reynolds and Battle are not going to get cut. Young guys who have potential like Donnal or Rhaney....doesnt make much sense to cut them for a vet that couldn't make another roster.
The youth of the line is why the Rams might want to bring in a guy but it is also the main reason they would not.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Maybe we could give Dallas a 7th rounder for Collins. They're actually getting a pick for nothing. They didn't spend any pick for him so they're profiting. Sounds like a good deal to me.

#stillbitter

Seems to me that the team already has guards coming out of their ears to be adding another one.

V3

Hall of Fame
Seems to me that the team already has guards coming out of their ears to be adding another one.
You talking about the Rams? Because Collins would be playing LT or RT, not G. He's already better than anything we have.

Memphis Ram

Legend
You talking about the Rams? Because Collins would be playing LT or RT, not G. He's already better than anything we have.

Yes. I'm talking about the Rams. And while Collins may have been tried at OT in a pinch, his NFL position is clearly OG. And this is coming from a big fan of the kid.

Either way, I'd guess he'd have his fair share of rookie struggles, too.

Last edited:

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Guys started what 8 games in the NFL at tackle and we're ready to give up on GRob as bad and uncoachable now?
He was drafted 2nd overall and he has played G and T and is not showing improvement. At this point he is a physical specimen and that's about it. Hope it changes real fast.
and after three years I am questioning the Rams ability to scout and evaluate OL players.