Is there an argument to bring Austin Davis back...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
If we're keeping 3 QBs, which I don't think we are, there's an argument that he has more upside than Hill, and if he could get back to his earlier form before he lost his confidence (particularly his meltdown in his last game), he could be good.

That's about it.

I for one don't agree with this. Just because he is younger doesn't mean he has more upside.

I really don't think I saw anything from the way Austin played to make me feel like he has a future in the league as anything more than a 3rd QB. I'd rather move on with a a true "upside" young QB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You know it seemed to me that when Austin first got his shot he was just playin, and he really made some great pre snap reads and throws like in the game vs Dallas.

As things went on he seemed real hesitant which didn't suit him. So personally I do think he deserves another look particularly under a new OC. If he has the same issues no worries cut him loose. But I do think he could be very valuable off the bench.

Let the dude come in and compete IMO.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Yes there is an argument. He did not play well at all. The first few games were OK but then DC's figured him out and he made bad decisions (not rookie decisions) and just fell apart. To keep someone because they know the system is not a good reason to keep someone.

So Gillbert is on the Patriots. So that is two young QB's with potential the Rams had on their roster who never got a chance to start when the two other BU's were not getting doing very well. There is something wrong with this picture.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I for one don't agree with this. Just because he is younger doesn't mean he has more upside.

I really don't think I saw anything from the way Austin played to make me feel like he has a future in the league as anything more than a 3rd QB. I'd rather move on with a a true "upside" young QB.
Well, I don't agree with your not agreeing. ;)

Hill's pretty old. We know what he has. He's only going to decline. Davis has already shown that he CAN do better than Hill... it's just that he stopped doing so.

So basically, it's just "some upside" vs "no upside".

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that the Rams panicked last year when Bradford got injured. They should have kept Gilbert to develop over Davis who, like Hill, is as good as he is ever going to get. And that, is not good enough!

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I'm not sure how I feel about this but I thought I'd make the argument:

1) He knows the system (only if we go in-house and keep it).
2) He's shown the ability to improve his game (and regress) In the time he's been with the Ram's he's shown a real spark of ability but has also regressed (last offseason and middle of this year). He's not a static player and there's a possibility that he could continue to elevate his game (small chance and would require a ton of work this offseason).
3) His regression seemed to be mental, the size of the stage and trying to be captain comeback was too much for him (could be worked on?).
3) This draft QB class is so bad outside of the top 2 (and they're no slam dunks) that I'm not sure any of them could beat out Davis. Seriously.
4) He is a spark plug and seemed to fire up the offense with his energy. That's not to overcome his regression mid-year but it is a intangible that helped some.
5) He played the way he played with minimal time getting reps in the system. Remember, with less practices in the offseason, the 3rd and 4th QB in camp and OTAs gets very few reps.

In all reality, I think there's a pretty good chance that Austin will be in camp. We'll take 4 QBs to camp and as long as it's not expensive, I could see last years composition of Bradford, Hill, Davis and rookie. Shame we couldn't hold onto Case Keenum as at least he had some skills (if not a starter).

I am, in no means, in love with this idea... but I'm so pessimistic on the QB draft class and FA options out there at QB that I feel like I have to make the argument for the best hand to be made with a 2-4 pair (Poker reference, anyone?).

Maybe we'll get lucky and Bradford will come back healthy and we hit on a straight. A pretty good hand but not likely and not the best thing out there.

I totally agree with you on #3. There's no way in hell we get a QB in this draft that can make a difference next year. I could be wrong.. I'm all for building the OL. The draft is deep here. One must go to the strengths one is given. WHy gamble on a QB that's probably hum drum when you can get a decent OL'er? Build the OL and maybe Davis gets better? Not to mention Sam stays healthy?

How many games has Austin started in the regular season? Plus, it's also not like he prepared in camp to be our starter, meaning reps. He was thrust in there with Hill's injury. I have no problem developing him more. He's showed the potential. The only thing I don't like with Austin is his arm strength. That's something that can't be resolved in technique one would think? I may be wrong. But yeah, I say stay with the kid.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Quit the convincing argument.
Apparently it was, if you have nothing else to say in reply to it.

People were comparing Davis to Warner early on. While that was always quite a bit overblown, I don't think his early stats were a fluke, or the result of defenses "not being adjusted to him yet" especially when the cast around him hadn't quite gelled yet. And I think that good coaching could (not necessarily will but COULD) get back his confidence and get him back to that level.

Hill will never be at that level.

But frankly, I expect neither will be on the team next year.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Apparently it was, if you have nothing else to say in reply to it.

People were comparing Davis to Warner early on. While that was always quite a bit overblown, I don't think his early stats were a fluke, or the result of defenses "not being adjusted to him yet" especially when the cast around him hadn't quite gelled yet. And I think that good coaching could (not necessarily will but COULD) get back his confidence and get him back to that level.

Hill will never be at that level.

But frankly, I expect neither will be on the team next year.

I could see Autin being on the team next year.. Maybe practice squad? Depends who we could sign in FA as a backup. I really can't see us taking a QB in this draft class. As an earlier poster said.. Gilbert is on the same par as any of these cats after the first 2. I could be wrong. :)

Given a decent OL, I think Davis could be good. I just don't like his arm strength though. He's a good number 2 with upside. :) It is what it is.. now if you all can tell me who in this draft class can be better than Austin, I'd love to hear it. I don't see anyone we could pick after the 1st 2 QBS that will be gone.. Build the OL...

Now if you wish to talk FA that's a different story. There are a few stop gap backups out there if not resigned by their teams.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
Can anything be put into the idea of Schotty trying to change Davis style more into Bradford style? Each game it seemed like his technique was changing more and more. By the time he was pulled he was unrecognizable, over thinking and collapsing under the rush. Id like to see Chud get hired and work with him just to see. Schotty wasn't known for developing QB's.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I could see Autin being on the team next year.. Maybe practice squad? Depends who we could sign in FA as a backup. I really can't see us taking a QB in this draft class. As an earlier poster said.. Gilbert is on the same par as any of these cats after the first 2. I could be wrong. :)

Given a decent OL, I think Davis could be good. I just don't like his arm strength though. He's a good number 2 with upside. :) It is what it is.. now if you all can tell me who in this draft class can be better than Austin, I'd love to hear it. I don't see anyone we could pick after the 1st 2 QBS that will be gone.. Build the OL...

Now if you wish to talk FA that's a different story. There are a few stop gap backups out there if not resigned by their teams.
AFAIK, Davis isn't eligible for the Practice Squad. He was on the 45 man gameday roster all 16 games IIRC and thus he has an accrued season of NFL experience, and thus not PS eligible. I *could* be wrong though.

Basically, if we keep 3 QBs, I could see him staying (I don't see Hill as 3rd string QB material because of age and cap figure). But I don't see us carrying 3 QBs, and we need Bradford and an upgrade at #2.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Can anything be put into the idea of Schotty trying to change Davis style more into Bradford style? Each game it seemed like his technique was changing more and more. By the time he was pulled he was unrecognizable, over thinking and collapsing under the rush. Id like to see Chud get hired and work with him just to see. Schotty wasn't known for developing QB's.

Idk if that could be said or not man. But it's definitely food for thought. Not to pile on Schotty since he's gone, but it could be a possibility. I'm thinking it was more the OL though. No protection what-so-ever.. Davis was definitely gun shy and I don't blame him. Hell who wouldn't be with that protection? Build the OL and you'll see all around QB play improve.

I agree on Chud, but I would also like to see a good QB coach come in here too. Would love to see Martz as a QB coach again as he was in Washington. I just mean someone like that.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
AFAIK, Davis isn't eligible for the Practice Squad. He was on the 45 man gameday roster all 16 games IIRC and thus he has an accrued season of NFL experience, and thus not PS eligible. I *could* be wrong though.

Basically, if we keep 3 QBs, I could see him staying (I don't see Hill as 3rd string QB material because of age and cap figure). But I don't see us carrying 3 QBs, and we need Bradford and an upgrade at #2.

I stand corrected.. Thank you. :) Who's your upgrade in FA? Just curious.. I have a few I like. Hang on a sec?

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I stand corrected.. Thank you. :) Who's your upgrade in FA? Just curious.. I have a few I like. Hang on a sec?
I don't know if there IS an upgrade in FA... I've seen rankings that list Mark Sanchez as the best option and that's just plain sad.

I also don't know who's going to be good in the draft since Mariota will be gone and I don't want Winston even if he falls.

I basically just trust the powers that be to find someone... but I've had a growing cynicism that this coming year won't amount to much and it's 2016 that we'll be looking at new coach, new QB and hopefully removal of the distraction of a possible move one way or the other.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

Here you go.. Hope the link works but you may have to click on QB.

http://overthecap.com/free-agency

PlayerPos.TeamTypeCurrent Avg./Year
Matt Moore QBDolphins UFA $4,000,000
Michael Vick QBJets UFA $4,000,000
Matt Hasselbeck QBColts UFA $3,625,000
Jake Locker QBTitans UFA $3,146,501
Blaine Gabbert QB49ers UFA $3,000,412
Christian Ponder QBVikings UFA $2,539,675
Mark Sanchez QBEagles UFA $2,250,000
Shaun Hill QBRams UFA $1,750,000
Jason Campbell QBBengals UFA $1,500,000
Tarvaris Jackson QBSeahawks UFA $1,250,000
Matt FlynnQBPackersUFA$1,000,000
Brian HoyerQBBrownsUFA$982,500
Luke McCownQBSaintsUFA$920,000
Dan OrlovskyQBLionsUFA$920,000
Joe WebbQBPanthersUFA$795,000
Colt McCoyQBRedskinsUFA$795,000
Ryan MallettQBTexansUFA$736,957
Josh JohnsonQB49ersUFA$730,000
Jordan PalmerQBTitansUFA$730,000
Tyler ThigpenQBBrownsUFA$730,000
Jimmy ClausenQBBearsUFA$645,000
Scott TolzienQBPackersUFA$600,000
Ryan LindleyQBCardinalsRFA$570,000
Austin DavisQBRamsRFA$570,000
TJ YatesQBFalconsUFA$556,250
Tyrod TaylorQBRavensUFA$536,327
Case KeenumQBTexansERFA$495,000
Kellen MooreQBLionsRFA$486,667

I'm going FA (and not in this order) with:

Locker, Flynn, McCoy, Clausen, and if the Raiders cut Schaub I'd even take a look at him.

Actually a friend of mine on RRF at the time convinced me on Colt as a good QB. You remember that @bomebadeeda :) I'd sign him now.

EDIT.. Damn that list looked alot better in draft of the post. :)

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I like Davis. He is a grinder and a guy who is a great guy to have on a roster. Always doubted and has always overcome. That said, his physical limitations mixed with lack of experience means he can probably be outplayed by a draft pick.
However, in a league that has a lack of quality depth QBs (let alone quality starters) I think Davis will be on a team, if not in St. Louis then somewhere. I hope the guy sticks somewhere and gets to cash some more checks.

fearsomefour

Legend
PlayerPos.TeamTypeCurrent Avg./Year
Matt Moore QBDolphins UFA $4,000,000
Michael Vick QBJets UFA $4,000,000
Matt Hasselbeck QBColts UFA $3,625,000
Jake Locker QBTitans UFA $3,146,501
Blaine Gabbert QB49ers UFA $3,000,412
Christian Ponder QBVikings UFA $2,539,675

This partial list should provide all the reason one needs to see the logic in bringing back both Davis and Hill. The choices are either guys way past their prime (their primes being much better than either Hill or Davis) like Vick or Hasselbeck or guys who have never played well.
Moore for $4M? Gabbert or Ponder for north of $2.5M? No thanks. Both Hill and Davis could be brought back for about what Ponder is making....mix in a rookie drafted in the first 3 rounds and a low priced vet FA (Thigpen, Clausen, Keenum, Jackson etc) and the opportunity is there for good competition and an improved QB depth situation. Looking for a combination of guys to improve the overall depth at the position taking this approach, not signing a guy to be THE guy for 10 years. Competition is the key with this approach. A grouping of Hill, Davis, Keenum and a rookie battling for those backup spots should, in theory, create more of an opportunity for 2 guys to emerge that improves depth. If a reasonable trade can be worked for a youngish vet to compete for the long term starting job that is certainly an option as well.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
If I had to bet my life on anybody on that list, I would just slay myself and save me the trouble of dying a slow death...I know I'm not maybe in the majority, but as much as I liked Davis for a couple of games, I honestly NEVER saw him as starter material...My biggest problem is
something you can't teach, arm strength..I just don't think he has enough arm to be a starter in this league...That's not something that gets fixed in the weight room, at least not for a QB...Can't say I couldn't live with him as a backup, but I wouldn't have a load of confidence in a super bowl run...The most hilarious thing I heard last year was the guys who said he reminded them of Kurt Warner...Whoa....Knee jerk reactions aren't a good thing in general (either way)...Having said all that, I've never been offered a job at any level in the NFL or div 1 college, or JUCO or high school or Pop Warner or a pick-up game in the neighborhood...Guess I should shut up and move on...

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
This just in; Austin Davis traded to George for some interior linemen to be named.