Is the training the issue?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Please bear with me on this one, I have a logic and some evidence to back my argument up...

We're always hearing from the coaches and players about how hard they're going in training and that they've had really good sessions on the training field etc... I'm just wondering whether or not that what they do on the training field IS the problem.

One of my friends is a retired professional rugby player and was at the top of the game, globally, for a number of years both in Union and League and was even offered a contract to go and play with the Cowboys (which he declined due to personal reasons). One of the things he keeps talking about is that players can OVER-train, come game time, the players are fatigued, both mentally and physically and on game day - if something goes astray, or not according to plan - a muffed kick return for instance, it can seriously mess with your head as players. It's been noted on several occasions that the All Blacks rugby team, don't train as much as other international teams and they've done ok with it. Their reasoning is that they want to be more 'fluid' and relaxed come game time.

I'm not sure if this is the same in the NFL, but it just seems to me that the players are too taught come game day, the missed tackles, WR drops etc?

I don't know, what do you guys think?

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i mean i buy it as a viable excuse you can over train ... but i dont think its the reason we are bad ... its a short season in all fairness.... these guys are pros and get a day off a week and i don't think they are hitting each other all week a lot or the practice is probably walk through . game film etc ..

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know it's a short season, especially if you're a Ram player :whistle: I get that a lot of the training is game film etc so maybe I am totally wrong. Maybe I'm trying to come up with reasons / excuses for the reason we're so bad...

It just looks like the players aren't enjoying themselves out there.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Well, Fisher does things his way, training type, schedule, intensity, etc. I remember reading notes from our scrimmages/practices with the cowboys that they ran nearly twice as many plays. Fisher is the only coach to not have mandatory mini camps. He's also the only coach, I think, to not practice on Thursday.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know it's a short season, especially if you're a Ram player :whistle: I get that a lot of the training is game film etc so maybe I am totally wrong. Maybe I'm trying to come up with reasons / excuses for the reason we're so bad...

It just looks like the players aren't enjoying themselves out there.
nah we just suck ;)....

i just genuinely believe its time for a change ..thanks for getting us out or roster hell (man thinking back we had some serious lack of talent and FA on retirement plans ) ..and getting us some talent Jeff but youve taken as far as you can

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
nah we just suck ;)....

i just genuinely believe its time for a change ..thanks for getting us out or roster hell (man thinking back we had some serious lack of talent and FA on retirement plans ) ..and getting us some talent Jeff but youve taken as far as you can

We definitely need a hit of energy from somewhere, it may well be that we need a change at the coaching level. If we're committed to Goff, then we need to build around him. Get a HC and OC that will be able to develop him.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Well, Fisher does things his way, training type, schedule, intensity, etc. I remember reading notes from our scrimmages/practices with the cowboys that they ran nearly twice as many plays. Fisher is the only coach to not have mandatory mini camps. He's also the only coach, I think, to not practice on Thursday.

LOL - maybe that's it, we don't train ENOUGH!!!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
If anything, its the other way around. Not enough training. Ever since the last collective bargaining agreement 5 years ago, teams have been limited on how much contact they can have with players. OTA's and TC have been shortened so its hard to get prepared for the season. TC now runs 3 or 4 games into the season. (Rams were clearly not ready for the season the 1st game vs the 48er's)

I believe it's one of the reasons Rams struggled this year. OTA's at one location, TC was split between Irvine and Cal State Lutheran 50 miles away. Players had to deal with driving in LA, something a lot of them never had to deal with.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Well, Fisher does things his way, training type, schedule, intensity, etc. Fisher is the only coach to not have mandatory mini camps. He's also the only coach, I think, to not practice on Thursday.
I believe through the Player's CBA, they have a mandatory day off. Fisher chooses Thursdays, rather than Tuesdays, which I think is standard day for other teams. I mentioned this in another post, we've continuously heard Fisher and the other coaches talk about having great days of practice and the guys are working hard, but for whatever the reason, it just doesn't carry it over to Sundays. There's an obvious disconnect between practice success and game success. I've also read where practices seem too low key. Again, the CBA limits the amount of padded practices teams can have, yet other teams don't seem to have the same issues. Are we blind to the fact there is really only a handful of talented players on this team? Are the coaches blind to the fact they, themselves, aren't properly preparing the team each week? Do the players believe they are prepared to play each week? Is it a combination of any or all of this? For some reason, nobody seems to have an answer. It's the most mind boggling thing I've seen. The "wait until next year" culture/attitude needs to stop somehow, but it isn't going to happen overnight. Winning is contagious and so is losing. This team has lost for so long, it seems to be an acceptance by most. We are the epitome of the "participation" culture in sports.

fearsomefour

Legend
Maybe in camp or early in the year but not likely now. The focus now would be on treatment of little injuries and maintaining strength.
Players mostly do their own work in the offseason and come into camp in shape. Doesn't mean they are doing the right things....Gurleys weight loss.
I can (again, not trying to say the same things over and over) only compare it to working with the guys I work with, pitchers. The first discussion about training is about allowing proper recovery time. Both within an individual workout and over all. Over half of the work we do is related to recovery protocols.
Of course working with a relatively untrained young group is way different than working with pros that have been training for years.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
Fisher pampered his team. He gave days off, cut practices short, etc. They certainly were not training more than other teams.