Is the Rams offense equipped to handle return of big plays?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Is the Rams offense equipped to handle return of big plays?

The LA Rams offense wants to emphasize ‘explosiveness’, and in the offensive coach-speak, that means a return to big-plays. The emphasis on doing so is no surprise. After all, one obvious reason to trade for quarterback Matthew Stafford is to incorporate his deep pass into the Rams arsenal. Now the obvious next question.

How ‘explosive ready’ is the LA Rams offense right now? Do they need to overhaul the offense skill-players? Or will the Rams simply need to tweek here and there? Furthermore, does this play into the current starters, the depth players, or does it send the LA Rams shopping?

So far, the LA Rams have been slowly developing their offseason strategy. We know that the Rams are aware that they likely could use a new weapon on offense. But do they need one? We know that the Rams could use a newly drafted quarterback on the roster. But do they need one? We know that the Rams could use a host of depth or compete-for-start players on the offense. But do they need them?

Most likely not. The Rams roster has plenty of depth incorporated from last season. While the Rams are shallow at the offensive center, and vulnerable at offensive tackle, there is enough on the roster today to line up and go into the 2021 NFL season. But what exactly are the LA Rams looking for?

Off to see the LA Rams wizard of O

Well in his latest interview, LA Rams head coach Sean McVay elaborated on that. In that video of his interview, at the 3:10 mark of the video, McVay talked about creating plays down the field. He doesn’t like the 10-15 play offensive drives to score. He believes that too many plays create a risk of mistake. So he wants to construct a quick-strike offense.

But the Rams may already be ‘there’. The LA Rams have deep strike ability with TE Tyler Higbee, WR Robert Woods, and WR Cooper Kupp. Kupp has caught a pass for 70 yards. Woods has caught a pass for 94 yards. Higbee has caught a pass for 44 yards. But if the Rams offense needs shiny new weapons, the team needs to look no further than TE Brycen Hopkins, WR Van Jefferson, WR Trishton Jackson, and WR J.J. Koski. All have big-play abilities, and all are already on the roster.

We’ll look at the offensive weapons on the team as they might factor into this new explosive offense. The LA Rams once more face limited cap flexibility and a finite number of draft picks. So the team is unlikely to be throwing wholesale roster changes up this offseason. After all, many of the key weapons from 2017’s top-scoring offense remain on the team today.

There are still some changes in store for this Rams roster, for sure. But the big blockbuster is already history. Now, the Rams will likely dress up the offense a bit for the new quarterback. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Rams ‘adding explosiveness’ will add more pressure to defense

The LA Rams offense was once one of the top-scoring offenses in the NFL. Now that is no longer the case. If I had to use one word to describe the transformation of the Rams offense, the Rams scoring ability is wilting. The LA Rams simply haven’t shown that killer instinct on offense. Scoring touchdowns, for many reasons, has become the exception rather than the rule.

In fact, since the 2017 LA Rams offense led the league with 29.9 points per game, the offense has been on a downward slope in terms of NFL rankings. In 2018, the LA Rams offense actually scored more, rising to 32.9 points per game but falling to second-ranked. In 2019, a besieged offense fell to scoring just 24.6 points per game and the 11th-ranking in the league.

That all came to a head in 2020. Even with more accuracy at quarterback, the Rams offense plummeted even further, all the way to scoring just 23.3 points per game and finishing the season as the 23rd-ranked scoring offense. But let’s not overlook the fact that the slower-paced Rams offense was a key contributor to the Rams defensive success.

Time of possession (TOP) still matters

The LA Rams enjoyed a great defense in 2020. But let’s pause a moment. An official NFL game is 60 minutes. The balance between offense and defense is impacted by how much of that clock is managed by the offense and how much of that clock is managed by the defense. If you look at it from that perspective, that last year of Wade Phillips’ defense was the first step of a rapidly improving defense.

What do I mean? Well, the defense will typically benefit greatly when the offense spends more time on the field.

The 2017 offense, per Lineup.com, the LA Rams offense time of possession, ranked 17th in the league at 29.6 minutes. That time of possession remained unchanged for the Rams, once more coming in as the 17th-ranked in the NFL at 29.6 minutes.

In 2018, the Rams offense plunged to 27.7 minutes and came in as the 25th-ranked offense in time of possession. The Rams offense skyrocketed in time of possession in 2020, adding nearly 4 minutes in one season to hold the ball 31.4 minutes and climb to the fourth-best offense in the NFL.

Brace for a defensive decline when TOP shrinks

The LA Rams seek to infuse ‘more explosiveness’ into the offense. That comes with positive and negative impacts. What do I mean? Well, the verbiage used to add context from the Rams organization tends to aim at eliminating the long 12-16 play offensive drives that chew up the clock (I love those by the way). Instead, the team appears more interested in the quick-strike offense, say no more than 10 plays per scoring drive.

There are two ways to improve defensive performance without adding talent. Either reduce the number of plays that the opposing offense gets, or cut down on the amount of time they have to make plays. Of course, the first is to be more effective on defense. The second? That’s up to the offense.

In a game, if the Rams defend for a long drive that chews up the game clock, they will be tired. As a result, they will be more prone to make mistakes and suffer injuries. Now, if the LA Rams come out and sputter with a three-and-out performance, or run two plays and score a deep touchdown on the third, the only difference is the scoreboard. In either case, both scenarios result in the defense enjoying no more than a two-minute rest,

NFL teams with quick-scoring ‘explosive’ offenses struggle to dominate on defense for that reason. And with a new defensive coordinator arriving, it’s important to realize just what a huge difference that time of possession can truly make on a game’s outcome. The LA Rams may indeed restore ‘explosiveness’ to their offense. But don’t be surprised if the defense suffers as a result.

Flint

Pro Bowler
The problem with the 2020 offense was that they had to take 10-12 plays to score, for whatever reason they weren’t able to strike quickly, they stopped even trying to go deep, defenses figured that out as well and started looking for the short stuff making it even harder. I don’t think McVay wants a quick strike offense he just wants to be able to strike quickly. Last year was too predictable.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
We could use another deep threat WR but even without adding one if the Oline improves the deep ball will be back in play, otherwise it will be just like it was last season.
Stafford might be better on the run than Goff but are we really trying to imitate Seattle's hit and miss offense?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Again better get a WR that can stretch the field, I posted over & over again about Vertical Congestions, you can't just have a bunch of slot receivers running crossing routes, you need a threat to go over the top of the defense and the Los Angels Rams must find that threat as although I do love Van Jefferson, I don't believe he's the speed Wide Receiver.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4hxASGk6RA

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rod Bot, is the Pope still Catholic?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rod Bot, is the Pope still Catholic?

All those years eating fish on Friday, only to find out, you really didn't have to. Albeit it was not the best Fish, remember going to McDonald's back then asking for a Fish with no tarter, took forever, my parents & sister were always done with their meals by the time the Filet o Fish arrived, got to the point my parents & sister would plead with me to scrape it off with a French Fry, which I refused to ruin a good fry. Still can't stand tarter sauce and it's no wonder I converted to a Baptist, as I digress.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Again better get a WR that can stretch the field, I posted over & over again about Vertical Congestions, you can't just have a bunch of slot receivers running crossing routes, you need a threat to go over the top of the defense and the Los Angels Rams must find that threat as although I do love Van Jefferson, I don't believe he's the speed Wide Receiver.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4hxASGk6RA

You nailed it Coach.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
All those years eating fish on Friday, only to find out, you really didn't have to. Albeit it was not the best Fish, remember going to McDonald's back then asking for a Fish with no tarter, took forever, my parents & sister were always done with their meals by the time the Filet o Fish arrived, got to the point my parents & sister would plead with me to scrape it off with a French Fry, which I refused to ruin a good fry. Still can't stand tarter sauce and it's no wonder I converted to a Baptist, as I digress.

So you can't have tartar sauce as a Baptist?

MachS

Hall of Fame
The problem with the 2020 offense was that they had to take 10-12 plays to score, for whatever reason they weren’t able to strike quickly, they stopped even trying to go deep, defenses figured that out as well and started looking for the short stuff making it even harder. I don’t think McVay wants a quick strike offense he just wants to be able to strike quickly. Last year was too predictable.

2019 and 2020 actually. We've been dink and dunk for 2 years now. McVay spoke about this the other day, how hard it is and how perfect you have to be on every drive to go 12+ plays to get points. 2017/2018 we were getting multiple explosive plays every game. Improving the OL and maybe another deep threat WR will help. But Goff constantly looked at the underneath WRs for whatever reason, so even if all things stayed the same (which they wont) we would still be more effective down the field next year. Very excited to see the Stafford/McVay combo.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Long John Silvers. So good even a Baptist likes fish on Fridays..

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
2019 and 2020 actually. We've been dink and dunk for 2 years now. McVay spoke about this the other day, how hard it is and how perfect you have to be on every drive to go 12+ plays to get points. 2017/2018 we were getting multiple explosive plays every game. Improving the OL and maybe another deep threat WR will help. But Goff constantly looked at the underneath WRs for whatever reason, so even if all things stayed the same (which they wont) we would still be more effective down the field next year. Very excited to see the Stafford/McVay combo.
As a follow up to the comment about Goff looking underneath, there was a nationally televised game where the commentator noted that point after a specific play.

It was one of the designed rolls (usually to the right); and the comment was about the play design and how it gave Goff three options ... short, intermediate and deep.

The commentator said a QB will usually read deep first and then progress down but on that play, Goff went short despite the deep option appearing to be open.

I took a mental note and observed that Goff frequently went short on these plays; and the Rams ran that play a lot.

Maybe he was instructed to go short unless things were wide open but it made me very conscious; and there were several games where commentators noted that Goff threw underneath when there appeared to be a deep opportunity ... and those comments were on different play designs.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Creating more explosive plays a priority for Rams offense in 2021

In his end-of-season video conference on Jan. 17, Rams head coach Sean McVay emphasized the need to create more explosive plays on offense in 2021.

While an efficient approach yielded a 10-6 record and divisional round playoff appearance, also being explosive is important too. Both go "hand-in-hand," McVay said at the time, pointing to the Packers – the team responsible for ending their stay in the postseason – as an example of "why when we've been at the upper echelon of the league" when there's a combination of the two.

Speaking to reporters more than a month later during a video conference Thursday, McVay maintained it will be a priority.

"I think that's something that we've definitely got to do a better job of, starting with me this next season," McVay said.

The Rams' ability to creative explosives in previous years was due in part to having a speedy, deep-threat receiver like Brandin Cooks, whom they traded to the Texans last offseason. During his two seasons in Los Angeles, the Rams had 69 pass plays of 20 or more yards in 2018 (third-most in the NFL), followed by 72 in 2019 (second); Cooks accounted for 22 and nine of them respectively in each of those seasons.

Last year, the Rams generated 50 pass plays of 20 or more yards, tied with the Cowboys for 14th-most in the league, but just six of 40 of more yards, tied with the Jets and Washington Football team for ninth-fewest. However, McVay said on Jan. 17 that the lack of explosive plays wasn't exclusively based on personnel.

In the run game, the Rams averaged 4.3 yards per carry, tied with the Colts, 49ers, and Texans for 14th-most, but their nine runs of 20 or more yards tied with the Buccaneers, Giants, Raiders and Bengals for 17th-fewest in the league.

"I think it's guys that can make things happen with the ball in their hands," McVay said, when asked how he can add explosiveness outside of the quarterback position. "Certainly, I know we talked a lot about it throughout the season, plays down the field, I think there's different ways of creating explosives. It's a collaboration of, certainly I have to do a good job of giving us opportunities, and then the players are the ones that end up making it come to life. That's always going to be a big part of it. I think when you have to go 12-, 15-play drives consistently, your margin for error is so small."

The Super Bowl champion Buccaneers, whom the Rams defeated on Monday Night Football in Tampa in Week 11, served as a prominent example of this.

In the NFC championship game against the Packers, Bucs quarterback Tom Brady took a shot deep down the left sideline and connected with wide receiver Scotty Miller for a 39-yard touchdown pass with one second before halftime to give them an 11-point lead. A 30-yard completion to tight end Rob Gronkowski set up a 46-yard field goal by kicker Ryan Succop to give Tampa Bay a 31-23 lead with 4:42 left in the fourth quarter. Both plays helped Tampa Bay overcome three interceptions thrown by Brady.

Per analytics service Football Outsiders, the Bucs produced the ninth-most yards per drive (36.84) while averaging the fifth-fewest plays per drive (5.93, per Football Outsiders). Per NFL.com stats, they also manufactured 67 plays of 20 or more yards during the regular season, third-most in the NFL behind the Chiefs (69) and Texans (70).

"They found a way to stay together, really find their identity at the right moments and then they played their best when their best was required," McVay said, when asked what he learned from watching the Bucs' Super Bowl run after previously beating them. "You look at that sequence at the end of the half against Green Bay, just finding ways to win football games, making crunch-time plays. I thought really just from a coaching perspective, they did an outstanding job of being able to adapt and adjust their philosophy."

McVay will look to do the same as the Rams navigate the rest of the offseason and prepare for the 2021 season.

"The level of competition is just so great that you have to be able to find ways to continuously create explosives, give yourself a little bit of margin for error, that it's not always taking that many plays to produce points in this league," McVay said. "I think any good offense, anyone that's at the upper echelon of the league, that's usually something that you can probably check the box on."

MachS

Hall of Fame
As a follow up to the comment about Goff looking underneath, there was a nationally televised game where the commentator noted that point after a specific play.

It was one of the designed rolls (usually to the right); and the comment was about the play design and how it gave Goff three options ... short, intermediate and deep.

The commentator said a QB will usually read deep first and then progress down but on that play, Goff went short despite the deep option appearing to be open.

I took a mental note and observed that Goff frequently went short on these plays; and the Rams ran that play a lot.

Maybe he was instructed to go short unless things were wide open but it made me very conscious; and there were several games where commentators noted that Goff threw underneath when there appeared to be a deep opportunity ... and those comments were on different play designs.

Yea it became very obvious the more you looked at it. Especially when looking at the all-22 film. People can't say Goff wasn't able to go deep, because he clearly did it well in 2017/2018. But after the super bowl something happened with his confidence. His deep ball accuracy and willingness to go down the field vanished. It could've been him not trusting the OL maybe. It's hard to say. But when in Wolford's one start he had more 20+ air yard completions than Goffs previous 6 games combined, that showed something. Stafford's arm and ability to read defenses will give us a much more lethal deep passing attack.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Woods and Kupp generated a lot of explosives last year so I just checked:

Rams were tied for 14th in 20+ yard plays. We were worse in 40+. About league average overall.

Now, that's not acceptable to McVay because he has high standards - but many people who have watched the tape noted we had open WRs deep, and in spite of having one of the worst air yards per attempt in the league, we were still close to average in explosive plays.

So the question of whether the rest of the offense is prepared should be a resounding yes.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
McVay is right philosophically that with long drives are actually harder to create a score, even though the passes are easier to complete due to their length and time to complete. The amount of those type of plays just creates potential for too many mistakes - drops, penalties, interception etc.

The problem is without a strong OL a pocket passer and Stafford is one of those even if he is more mobil than Goff without time to throw longer plays to execute usually don't work. I watched cutups of Stafford last year his pocket was wide and he had a ton of time to throw he won't with our OL so can McVay go back to the 17 and 18 season get a better line.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I would expect an improvement on 3rd and long with Stafford in there. Less give up plays and better recognition when we're inevitably blitzed in those situations. This was very frustrating and my eye test says we saw a lot of that last year.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think we’re gonna see more explosives this year, both running and passing.

The handwriting is on the wall. A new QB in Stafford and a new OL coach to replace Kromer. Both huge parts of the McVay Big Picture in 2021.

Look for changes on O, y’all.

Major upgrade at QB.
Probable changes in OL blocking schemes.
Probably even a couple of new faces on our starting OL.
More TE usage in this O.
More varied O that can attack teams both running and passing. No opposing D will feel comfortable.
A 30-32 ppg O once again.

2021 should be a fun year for Rams fans.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
All I know is that the first few times I see Stafford wind up, I'm gonna be holding my breath... in a good way, but still

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Major upgrade at QB.
Probable changes in OL blocking schemes.
Probably even a couple of new faces on our starting OL.
More TE usage in this O.
More varied O that can attack teams both running and passing. No opposing D will feel comfortable.

That feels like the off-season playbook. The varied O part for me being downfield threat.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Wolford attempted a few more explosive plays against the Cardinals. McVay felt he could open the playbook a bit more with Wolford. He felt that Goff was not seeing the entire field. I believe he mentioned that last but in a post game press conference this year. Maybe it was after the Miami game?

Anywho I’m sure that they will be assessing whatever hinderances that may cause using more explosive plays difficult and will do their best to correct them.

The goal is to win right away and get to the Super Bowl. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think it may take longer than one year.